3Likes
  • 2 Post By nashville beth
  • 1 Post By yanniziomas

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Speaker upgrade 67 Chevelle

Iím planning out my interior restoration in my 67 SS 396. It was originally equipped with the rear package tray speaker along with the dash speaker.

I plan on having the original AM radio gutted and having the internals replaced with An AM/FM tuner & mp3 port.

Now for speakers, Iím a bit of a loss. Iíve seen ďstereoĒ speaker options for the factory dash location (2 small speakers in the same foot print). Not so for the rear. Iím unwilling to cut my rear shelf for a pair of 6x9ís. Are there any good options for this location? I was toying with putting enclosed speakers on the floor behind the front seats but that seems cheesy to me. Mounting anything in the trunk would probably degrade sound quality. Iím not looking for huge power, just something to provide decent to good sound while cruising.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Options?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 1:03 PM
Tech Team

Working on speakers with my ‘66 this winter. I had the boxes in the floor behind the seats this past season and not doing it for me.

I’m probably cutting 2, 6.5” speakers in the rear shelf and putting a sub in the trunk.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 1:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: Speaker upgrade 67 Chevelle

Go with kick panel speakers and 6x9's on the rear pkg tray, trunk sub is optional. Acoustically your expectations should just be sound and I recommend 2 way speakers. Minimum is 45w/channel to get decent sound and a small amp will make a world of difference above that.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 3:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Yanniziomas,

What didnít you like about your enclosures behind the front seats? Sound quality or getting in the way?

I really donít want to cut the rear tray. I hacked up my share of Chevelle package trays and dash boards back in the day when my Various Chevelles were daily drivers. Now that Iím. Uilding my dream car, Iím not so fond coddling that.

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 8:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Another option is to not cut anything !

Buy a high quality boombox with bluetooth and set it in the rear seat.

It can play music from your smartphone using spotify, etc.

Some of these boomboxes are very impressive indeed.
ZZ69chevelle and Kopfjaeger like this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 10:57 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopfjaeger View Post
Yanniziomas,

What didn’t you like about your enclosures behind the front seats? Sound quality or getting in the way?

I really don’t want to cut the rear tray. I hacked up my share of Chevelle package trays and dash boards back in the day when my Various Chevelles were daily drivers. Now that I’m. Uilding my dream car, I’m not so fond coddling that.

Joe
Joe, I hear you re cutting. I’ve done my share as well, but this car is a cruiser, drive it a lot, 7K miles per year and I’d like a decent quality sound system.

The 6x9s were in some enclosures sitting on the rear floor, they sounded very confined, muddy, very bad. Speakers themselves were decent quality. This is also a 4-door car so they did take some space.

I was driving them directly from the deck, an external amp could potentially have improved the sound quality.

Good luck, I’ll be watching to see how things turn out for you on this project.
Kopfjaeger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in