1971 SS Steering Wheel Removal - Thread Size for Puller & Lock Spring - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Aaron "A.E."

1971 SS Steering Wheel Removal - Thread Size for Puller & Lock Spring

Hello,

I am removing the original steering wheel in my 1971 SS because it is too sticky and I got a cheap aftermarket one. I already have a puller, I just need the correct size bolts to connect it to the hub of the steering wheel. I saw a YOUTube video that said to use fine thread 5/16" and I also read that in a thread on here. After already trying what I thought was a coarse thread (5/16"-18) bolt and finding it would not thread in, I ordered the fine thread ones in the right length from Home Depot. These barely thread in at all. I am wondering now if the standard 5/16"-18 coarse thread bolt is correct, and I just test fit something else by mistake. Can anyone shine some light on this for me? Also, there are only two of these 5/16" threaded holes, not 3 like the video told me to expect.

For the spring-lock mechanism; I have removed the center rod that clicks out like the top of a pen when a thin poking tool is used, removed the black plastic spring retainer (which looks similar in shape to a jet from a Holley Carb, and removed the spring. Do I still need to remove the plastic split-lock style cylinder/spacer/bushing by pulling it out, or have I already got it unlocked by removing the inner mechanism?

Thanks in advance for the any help!

-A.E.
----------------------------------------------
1971 Chevelle SS
Modified Original Frame-Off Resto-Mod
#-Matching Drivetrain (Exc. Powerglide Swap) Fully Built
Complete Chassis Customization
~25K Original Miles (Just had first oil change since overhaul)

Last edited by fast71ss; Nov 8th, 19 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Change E-mail notification options
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 19, 1:59 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Re: 1971 SS Steering Wheel Removal - Thread Size for Puller & Lock Spr

The bolts required to remove the stock steering wheels is a 5/16 - 18 TPN. You will need two bolts of sufficient length to accommodate the length of the puller you are using. Either of the ones pictured would be sufficient for the job.

As to part two of your inquiry, it sounds as though you are referring to the horn contact wire. If you have removed the contact, retainer if any and the spring that's all you would need to do in order to install a new steering wheel. However, the horn contact will have to be reinstalled before completing the job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	puller.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	607394   Click image for larger version

Name:	puller 2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	607396  
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 19, 11:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: 1971 SS Steering Wheel Removal - Thread Size for Puller & Lock Spr

It will probably help to clean out the threads of the wheel before you try to pull it.
It seems like every wheel I have pulled had debris or rust that needed to be cleaned out before I could get the bolts into the wheel to pull it.

Auto Upholstery Trimmer since 1977
Palo Alto Upholstery 650 326 6414
1967 Chevelle Super Sport 4sp.
1953 Chevy Bel Air 4 door.
1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr Hard Top.
1968 Chevy C20 CST Longbed.
1967 Malibu 396 Powerglide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in