Legendary or PUI or Other interior products - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

17Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Unread Sep 30th, 19, 5:01 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Don

Legendary or PUI or Other interior products

I am converting from bench to buckets and changing the interior color on my 1965 El Camino. I have a set of 65 seat frames that I have started restoring. My interior is currently black which is not correct for the car, and I want to switch to red.

I prefer a solid lighter color red and really don't care for the 65 two tone red seat covers or door panels. I know that Legendary generally gets better reviews than PUI, but I'm assuming that Legendary only makes the covers in the OEM two tone red since that's all I see on the sites that sell Legendary, but I do see PUI seems to offer it in both two tone and single tone.

I will call and check Legendary, but my question is if they do not make the covers in a single red color, are the PUI covers considerable worse than the Legendary covers?

Thanks,

Don

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Unread Sep 30th, 19, 5:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage
Re: Legendary or PUI or Other interior products

I wouldn't say worse as they're good for the average driver. They do have a platinum series that is better than their normal offering. If this is for a driver and not a show car you should be happy with PUI.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Unread Sep 30th, 19, 5:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Legendary has what they call their "custom shop" for a fee they can do minor customizations to the covers the offer. So if you want a single tone red, they will make them for you. You will have to call them directly and speak to the "custom shop". you should be able to find out more information on their website.

Normally I prefer legendary for various reasons (vinyl weight, grain definition, overall better quality) However- I had a very bad experience with a set of 64 chevelle bucket covers from legendary in RED... the red vinyl itself was the problem.

It looked like a circus tent and was full of defects(the vinyl itself had micro pimples/bubbles visible in it, and the lined fabric backing was visible through, like you'd expect to see on an outdoor event tent).

After 2 sets of covers with similar issues, we wound up ordering red covers from PUI and they were a much more acceptable red and no defects in the vinyl.

Now those were 64 covers that had a different grain pattern(elk grain).
65 uses the "standard" madrid grain, so maybe it won't be an issue. Also worth noting that Legendary did work with us to make good on the issues, but the end product just was not acceptable.

My advise- get samples from both legendary and PUI see which color you like best and go with it.

Check with TMI and Distinctive also. all 4 companies make reproduction covers and all may have slightly different sources of vinyl.

Ben R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Unread Sep 30th, 19, 8:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

I wasn't overly impressed with the PUI platinum door panels I used, but I really liked the Legendary seat covers. The door panels look great, but the die stamped knockouts behind the upholstery were barely stamped and very difficult to trim out. The window crank holes were tough to align too. In the end they turned out OK though. I have no direct experience to compare the panels to Legendary door panels, but I'd go with them next time around if I ever did it again.
NickeyChevelle likes this.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Unread Sep 30th, 19, 11:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

I installed PUI covers with platinum door panels. It was my first time doing an interior. The door panels were hard to cut as others have mentioned (power locks and windows) and the front door panel sheet metal plates didn’t seem curved enough like the originals on top.

But. Overall they all look pretty good

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Unread Oct 1st, 19, 6:14 AM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

I thought I might save a few bucks on my '69 with Parchment int by getting PUI Platinum door panels to go with the Legendary seat covers already installed. Luckily I obtained a vinyl sample from PUI beforehand and it didn't come close to matching the Legendary seat cover color, so I went with Legendary door panels which did match their covers. BTW my rear seat still had the original Parchment cover on it (before recovering) and the Legendary cover was a much closer match in color, vinyl thickness, and pleat style.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Unread Oct 1st, 19, 8:34 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Don

Thanks to all for your comments. I'll definitely call both and request samples. This is not for a show car, but a pretty nice driver so I do want it to look good.

I'm willing to spend more with legendary if I can get solid red and the cost isn't outrageous for special ordering.

Thanks again,

Don Harris

Don
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Unread Oct 1st, 19, 8:42 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Don

I have not successfully recovered a set of buckets yet. I did try to do my C2 corvette seats but even with a lot of help I could never get the covers stretched over and down the frames, so I ended up having the Al Knoch company installing the pads and covers.

I really would like to do these A Body seats myself. So, does anyone have pictures, articles or any sources for instructions especially for 64/65 buckets?

I left one seat alone and only took the covers off one seat, and I took lots of pictures. There is a lot going on inside the covers. Not just the foam pad, but pieces of felt hog ringed in various areas, cloth covered cotton pads on the outer sides of the seat buns, etc.

Also, were is the best source for installation materials, e.g. burlap, listing wire, batting and anything else I would need.

Thanks again for your advice and assistance.

Don Harris

Don
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Unread Oct 1st, 19, 9:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have not successfully recovered a set of buckets yet. I did try to do my C2 corvette seats but even with a lot of help I could never get the covers stretched over and down the frames, so I ended up having the Al Knoch company installing the pads and covers.

I really would like to do these A Body seats myself. So, does anyone have pictures, articles or any sources for instructions especially for 64/65 buckets?

I left one seat alone and only took the covers off one seat, and I took lots of pictures. There is a lot going on inside the covers. Not just the foam pad, but pieces of felt hog ringed in various areas, cloth covered cotton pads on the outer sides of the seat buns, etc.

Also, were is the best source for installation materials, e.g. burlap, listing wire, batting and anything else I would need.

Don Harris
The answers to your questions are Rambo and Rambo. Look him up on this site. He can sell you what you need and help you with your install questions.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Unread Oct 1st, 19, 10:01 AM
Tech Team

If Rambo doesn’t mind. I also agree with Rambo.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Unread Oct 1st, 19, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Don

Thanks, I will make contact.

By the way, I spoke to Legendary sales rep this AM and they will make the seat covers in a solid color. Not inexpensive though. Something I need to think about.

Don

Don
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Unread Oct 1st, 19, 1:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

I have installed several sets of seat covers and matching door panels, the last few being PUI brand (Distinctive years ago).

I have never had an issue with quality, and all looked good and were very durable.

Two were "white", and even after years of use, they still looked great, even after toddlers walking on the seats with shoes on, etc...

None of the vehicles I did were using the original colors, they were full interior replacements so there was no issue trying to match colors to some OEM pieces...

For my '70, I ordered "White" (which is NOT a stock color for 1970), and it was still a "stocking number" part at PUI, so NO upcharge, no long-lead time... Perhaps they offer the same with the single red for the '65.

Never played with Legendary myself.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Unread Oct 1st, 19, 1:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
...spoke to Legendary... Not inexpensive though. Something I need to think about.
For PUI, check ordering through Summit...

65 single-tone red covers, $186/pr... PUI - 65AS30U (Summit pictures look two-toned, so I'd double check), two-toned red #AS33U...
Rear cover, $115?
Pre-assembled door panels, matching, $140/pr?

And with Summit, its free shipping, takes a few weeks, drop-shipped...

I saw a LOT of places that wanted to charge "oversize" shipping for the door panels, etc...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Unread Oct 1st, 19, 2:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

If you go with Legendary, get it from NPD. They are great to deal with.
RAMBO and red68chevL like this.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Unread Oct 1st, 19, 3:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:

Don Harris
The bottom cushions are pretty straightforward to do... similar to 66-72.
The upper cushions for 64/65 seats are another matter and are a bit more challenging.
I have some detailed photos showing how I do them, I'll dig them up.

The important thing (at least as important as cover choice) is to buy the right buns... American Cushion Industry (ACI).
These are pricey, around $250 for the pair... but well worth it in end for overall comfort and in ease of installation.
National Parts Depot is a reseller for ACI Buns as well as the PUI & Legendary covers.
Don't be tempted into the cheap offshore seat buns.

I can help if you need installation/padding materials or spring/edgewire repair stuff.

Ben R.

-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in