Seat Rebuild - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 5:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Seat Rebuild

I am thinking of rebuilding my front seats. They are just at a point where the support they offer is next to zero. The debate is between rebuilding the stock seats (foams and maybe springs) or going for some modern seats. I need some help with my decision.

#1 Who has done a rebuild of the factory buckets on a 1972. I anticipate needing foam and newer (Stronger) springs. The covers are fine I did themyears ago, the car isn't driven much and I suspect that the original 1972 foams are now just disintegrating due to age. I want a firm seat, whatever it takes to get there. I can do the work on the cover installs over new wires and or new springs...easy stuff. Worked in a upholstery shop when I was in "Kollege" so I have no worries about actually doing the work. My questions are more about materials to get me where I want to go? As frim as original is good firmer than original is better.

#2 What are your experiences with using seats out of modern day lurury cars in our cars. I can get a shop to install matching material in the seat centers so that my new fronts could match my rear seat. The power options in a new seat...Lexus or some brand like like that appeal to me but I would have to recover them to match the material in the rear. I don't want a mismatch between the front and rear. In point of fact I might have the rear "boxing panels" redone to match the front...thinking about it now it might just be easier than making the front match the rear.....Decisions decisions.

Any thoughts on real world experiences out there would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Oman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 6:17 PM
Tech Team
Greg

I have also though about moderation of the seats in my 66 Chevelle, the buckets are horrible for long drives when compared to everything modern. I am interested in some other people’s experiences as well.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 6:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage
Re: Seat Rebuild

I rebuilt my 68's buckets last winter. New foams from ACI. Rambo (Ben) supplied the springs and burlap. I've never done any upholstery work and it took a few times of assembly then disassembly then assembly to get it right. But with Ben's advice and supplied directions it all went well.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 6:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OO52 View Post
I rebuilt my 68's buckets last winter. New foams from ACI. Rambo (Ben) supplied the springs and burlap. I've never done any upholstery work and it took a few times of assembly then disassembly then assembly to get it right. But with Ben's advice and supplied directions it all went well.

Standard strength springs? Foam density? Rambo? I am assuming Ranbo is a member here and is in "the business?? What does your backside say about the finished product as far as support / firmness?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 9:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Get the foam from ACI, American Cushion industries, they make the best foam.
Done correctly your Original seats will be the best way to go.
red68chevL and RealRed70 like this.

Auto Upholstery Trimmer since 1977
Palo Alto Upholstery 650 326 6414
1967 Chevelle Super Sport 4sp.
1953 Chevy Bel Air 4 door.
1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr Hard Top.
1968 Chevy C20 CST Longbed.
1967 Malibu 396 Powerglide.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 10:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

I will second Cal Malibu's suggestion, get the ACI foam, best out there. I have recovered several sets of seats and I have specifically redone 72 seats and reused the covers. I will tell you it is more work to reuse the covers then putting you on, because you have to be very careful when cutting the hog rings and removing everything to ensure you don't rip the covers. But since you will be doing the work yourself, that will be the cheaper route. If you were paying an upholstery shop, i would guess reusing the covers would cost 1.5x more.

I had been told in the past that replacing the seat Springs would make the seat stiffer but I recently bought some and I am not impressed with the replacement seat Springs. They are thinner gauge wire than the originals. Has anyone else had this experience? I would not replace them, if anything I would double up the springs in the original seats.

However, are you sure you want that stiff of a seat? I would suggest, new foam, and under that new burlap and jute padding. Then, put the cover over it all with a few hog rings and test the new seat without changing anything on the springs. If that's too soft, then disassemble and add springs.

Another member mentioned Rambo, and he's the man who can line you up with a kit to replace all of the "under the foam" stuff in a seat. Also, Rambo can help you with broken spring replacement parts, sometimes there is 1 or 2 springs broken and will effect seat comfort.

Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
700R4
This is how we roll:

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 8:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

I did my seats last year. It’s not too bad. You may find that there are spring problems after you remove everything? Rambo supplies everything you need and can definitely help with stiffer springs.

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 19, 12:57 AM
Tech Team
Brian

Garage

I had Ben Rambo (The Seat Guy) rebuild the bucket seats in my 67. He is in the Seattle area. My foam was shot and a number of the springs were broken. The seats had no support left in them - especially the bottoms.

I purchased the Rallye seat package from Legendary which included new foams, covers and installation kit (burlap, etc.). I wanted an original look but better performance.

Ben did excellent work and really knows his stuff. I believe he also has sourced new spring wire and other parts for rebuilding. You can find him on this form and on TCNWRacing.com

I'm extremely pleased with the results. Firm and supportive but still comfortable on long rides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180522_234433.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	604040  
oman, von, kermitsass and 1 others like this.

1967 Chevelle Malibu, 463 BB, Edelbrock Performer RPM Power Package, Holley Terminator EFI, TCI Street Fighter 700R4, Moser Muscle Pac 12 bolt rearend, RideTech air suspension system, Accuair e-level air management, Wilwood Forged Dynalite disc brakes, US Mags Rambler wheels & Continental Extreme Contact tires

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 19, 11:56 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1
Smile Re: Seat Rebuild

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/358...pair-kits.html

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/358...ulk-rolls.html

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 19, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Thanks! Now all I need is to tweak my budget.
davewho1 likes this.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 19, 1:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

I agree with using Rambo, even if just for questions and buying supplies... Ben always helps us Chevelle folks on TC. I plan on making an order from Rambo in the next few months.

IIRC, Rambo offers per-bent side springs in a stiffer gage that help to firm up the bottom-side area...

Although I do like the idea of the Ralley or Sport seats that are now available (larger bolsters, etc), my current project is primarily a "stock" resto...
von and nashville beth like this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 19, 6:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I'm kind of blown away!
Freddy Mercado and davewho1 like this.

Ben R.

-

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 19, 7:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
Although I do like the idea of the Ralley or Sport seats that are now available (larger bolsters, etc), my current project is primarily a "stock" resto...
I had a 66 SS from 1976-1989 and the bucket seats were wonderful.

Purely stock and they were always comfortable.

Thankfully we have a guy near Nashville with a great reputation and Legendary told me about him.

If you contact Legendary Interiors, they can probably recommend someone close to you.
davewho1 likes this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 19, 9:16 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Oman,
Here is a thread where Rambo explains how to beef up your seat. Most likely the springs that are bein discussed in this thread are broken on your seats. It is very common for some support springs to be broken.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/26-...pic-rambo.html
davewho1 likes this.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 19, 2:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth View Post
I had a 66 SS from 1976-1989 and the bucket seats were wonderful.

Purely stock and they were always comfortable.

Thankfully we have a guy near Nashville with a great reputation and Legendary told me about him.

If you contact Legendary Interiors, they can probably recommend someone close to you.
Thanks Beth...

I have had numerous '66s with bucket seats (stock), starting with my '66 Malibu in 1982... I have also reupholstered several seats over the years ('my '66 convertible and my '70 Chevelle and recently a '67 El Camino bench).

Always felt fine, but I did realize that auto-crossing my '70, I was almost on top of the console on hard left-handers (even with a 3-point harness)... For really "spirited" driving, I think the bolsters might be worth it...

My current project will have 215/70/15s up front with an iron-headed big block and manual steering... Probably not auto-crossing that thing much...

I am confident that I can do a good job, and with advice and supplies from Rambo, it only increases my confidence...

I am also one of those people that will take "self-satisfaction" of a job that I feel is within my abilities (even if not perfect) over simply writing a check. I am also frugal, so I'll save my money for those tasks I know I'll need to let a pro do it...
OO52 likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in