• 1 Post By augy
  • 1 Post By RAMBO

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 1:22 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage
68/69 rear door windlace measurement

Could someone with a 68/69 hard top car do me a favor and take a quick measurement of their rear door windlace?
This is the vinyl strip that runs along the front edge of the rear side panel.

I want to determine if a 2dr hardtop part is the same as the 2dr post.

Mine measures 31 3/8" from the carpet to the top.

Not looking for the overall length of the vinyl since it angles out at the bottom, but rather the installed vertical height.

Thanks!
Ben

Ben R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 4:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Re: 68/69 rear door windlace measurement

Sorry I don't have a measurement right now Ben, but which type are you working with? The aftermarket pieces I bought were different than my originals, or what I believe to be original. The Parchment was original, the black the replacement. They weren't the same, so I don't know what was what. The ends tuck under a little over an inch too. I guess I ain't helping.

I had some edge channel that matched the part on my originals, so I combined it with the aftermarket pieces to make it the same. Jus.t FYI

RAMBO likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 7:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

I'd measure mine for ya, but it's up on a hoist with a Gasser frame under it, and the driveway in front of the shop door is all tore up because we're resurfacing the driveway, and right now it's raining buckets, so......

guess I ain't helping much either.....

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 7:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Edit: I was able to get the door open up on the hoist to get a measurement. Mine measures 25" from the top of the molded piece right under the quarter window weatherstrip down to where it curves forward and goes under the sill plate. Add another inch or so extending under the sill plate, so 26"?

Does your 300 sedan windlace go under the sill plate like a 2-door hardtop does?
RAMBO likes this.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Steve (First steve, lol) thanks for the pics! That helps a ton. I'm thinking my originals may not have even been installed right to begin with!

My originals are like your repop set- although the cardboard part is longer and enlarges for the "foot" at the bottom where it goes under the sill plate.

Mine definitely did not have that flap stuck into the door jam opening, but now seeing yours it explains why the sharp exposed metal edge never looked right.

Steve (2nd steve) Because mine is a post car, mine does not curve over at the top, it just goes straight up and stops where the side panel top rail meets the door card.

So it appears that I can probably order the repops and make them work, or at least get some push on welting like you did to finish it that way also.

This is the last piece of gold inside my interior so want to get it replaced properly.
ZZ69chevelle likes this.

Ben R.

-

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 10:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

I got 22" Ben. Let me know if you need any more pics. Are you measuring the length of the windlace when straight, such as laying on a table?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 4:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by red68chevL View Post
I got 22" Ben. Let me know if you need any more pics. Are you measuring the length of the windlace when straight, such as laying on a table?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I think I'm good, it appears to be the same as hardtop cars. I must have goofed my number between measuring and posting. It's ~21" not 31.

It's interesting that there appears to have been another option of the rubber style windlace on some cars like Steve showed above. Another friend has the same ones pulled from a Buick parts car.

Anyway I ordered a pair of hard top repops in black should be here Monday. I'll reply back on how they fit. Here's a pic of my gold originals for reference ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190911_201212_1568494434744.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	4.46 MB
ID:	603362  

Ben R.

-

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 3:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Repops arrived yesterday (PUI) and they look real good.
They are longer than needed top & bottom but easy enough to trim. Holes all line up- and they have extra vinyl sewn on that (appears) to go on the outside in the door jam area 1/2" like the rubber ones that Steve posted above.

I'll post a pic when i install these in a day or so. I've never had a chevelle before (always had elcaminos) so not sure what this "SHOULD" look like, but they appear a lot nicer than my originals did (which did not have that flap of vinyl that went on the outside of the metal).

this is probably useless without a pic, I'll snap one tonight.

Ben R.

-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in