• 1 Post By blm
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Bucket Side Support Pic/Rambo

Spent an hour or so searching for a pic/thread and couldn't find it. A while back Rambo posted in a thread that he doubles up the side support springs on buckets to keep them from breaking. I ask him if he had a pic of that and he posted one.
Now that I want to reference that thread/pic I can't find it. If anyone remembers please reference that thread.
Ben, It you see this I believe it will sound familiar. Maybe just throw up another pic if that is not too inconvenient..

Thanks Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 10:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage
Re: Bucket Side Support Pic/Rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Spent an hour or so searching for a pic/thread and couldn't find it. A while back Rambo posted in a thread that he doubles up the side support springs on buckets to keep them from breaking. I ask him if he had a pic of that and he posted one.
Now that I want to reference that thread/pic I can't find it. If anyone remembers please reference that thread.
Ben, It you see this I believe it will sound familiar. Maybe just throw up another pic if that is not too inconvenient..

Thanks Brad
Hey brad, I'll dig it up and re-post.

It was the front outer corner springs that I doubled up.
The side springs I didn't notice any increase in support by doing that... though i do replace them with 9ga spring instead of the usual 11ga thats in there.

Ben R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 11:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

This is a 66 bucket seat, but applies to any 66-72 strato bucket. I've done the same thing on F-body seats as well with excellent results.

This puts added support right under/outside your thighs w/o raising the center of the seat, so you still sit "in" the seat not on top of it like with repop spring assemblies.

You can see the heavier gauage front side support spring in place (the rear side support spring, almost out of the pic to the right is still the stock spring)

for the front corner i just matched up the bends of the existing spring to my new ones then used spring clamps to hold them together in multiple spots.

the 2nd pic shows new corner springs (the complete spring) I fabbed up for a different repair, but I made an extra to use as a template for making repairs or the doubled up springs.

this one is 9ga, which is the same as the original was.

I have them in my own seats and they feel fantastic, and I've used them in another half dozen rebuilds for friends and they all like them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190307_142325 (1).jpg
Views:	13
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	602996   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190216_160236.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	602998  
davewho1 likes this.

Ben R.

-

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 2:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Here’s my 72 seat with the heavier springs supplied by Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5C200C12-CB55-49FC-8365-290BABCA62C7_1568138601453.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	603024   Click image for larger version

Name:	B2005AB6-6BA6-4833-B34E-D3D7EBED9AB1_1568138622046.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	603026   Click image for larger version

Name:	02A070BC-8A6A-4B27-9E2F-117140296E7E_1568138880754.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	603028  

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 2:04 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Thanks Ben. Good thing I ask as I was thinking the side springs. Good tip on the heavier gauge side springs.

Brian, thank you also for the pics.
RAMBO likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 5:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Thanks Ben. Good thing I ask as I was thinking the side springs. Good tip on the heavier gauge side springs.

Brian, thank you also for the pics.
Yeah I was surprised that doubling up the side springs didn't do much for support- but its the way the spring compresses that causes that.

One of these days i'm going to get around to fabbing up a solid hoop with springs suspended from to replace the compression spring assembly and see how it feels.

I have a feeling it would be a day and night improvement since thats essentially how modern seats are built with the thick/firm bun on top.

Ben R.

-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in