Complete '66 Chevelle Interior - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

1Likes
  • 1 Post By B52bombardier1
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 3:18 PM Thread Starter

Complete '66 Chevelle Interior

Hello, new member here.
Neighbor of mine has a '66 Chevelle SS396, was her husband's who passed away. Been in a garage for 18 years. Original color was Turquoise, but the owner previous to him painted it black. Interior is still the original matching color (also turquoise?). Interior is very clean, but carpet is faded, seats are worn, headliner is sagging, dash is dull. I've been offered the car for what I think is a very fair price. It is in very decent shape outside, no rust showing, and I'd like to start fixing it up. My one issue is I HATE the interior color. I've always been a resto-mod kind of guy, not really a purist when it comes to keeping things original, so I'd like to make this an all-black car. Does anyone have a ballpark cost figure to replace the entire interior in black?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 3:51 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Re: Complete '66 Chevelle Interior

if its a numbers matching car your going to make value mistake. ACC makes the carpet most resto houses sell along with rockauto. PUI and Legendary makes the seat covers, headliner, and door panels and other soft items. time and labor to install is up to your skill set or who you pay to do it

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 5:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Always make a decision based on new looking parts. Old, worn, faded interiors and exterior colors tend to give us clouded opinions on what looks good. To me, the vintage colors, especially the interior colors, make the car.

Here's mine, and I'm a big fan of turquoise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160819_190538.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	602214   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160722_174424.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	602216  

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 6:19 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Take a look at the web sites or catalogs for prices of the following places; Original Parts Group, National Parts Depot, Ground Up SS396. This will give you an idea on pricing and then decide how much of this you can do for yourself.

Rick
1966_L78 likes this.

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 6:44 PM
Tech Team
Greg

I’m with you I would lose the turquoise blue, nasty your car modernize as you see fit

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 6:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

I agree with the above...

IF you plan on keeping the car, then do what makes you happy, BUT you are probably reducing the value by changing the interior... Although realistically, who really knows...

As for cost, a LOT depends on YOUR skill level, and if YOU are doing the work yourself...

Headliner, $80+, and takes about a day for a first-timer... Includes visor material.

Seat covers, $300+ (PUI through Summit)

Door panels, $300+ (again, PUI through Summit, for the 4 panels, deluxe with trim preinstalled).

Carpet, 150+

Paint, $75+ (paint, primer and materials (sand paper, tape, etc)…

Dash pad, $150+ Some are better than others...

Arm rest pads, $80+

Don't forget new seat foam and spring repairs.

If its a keeper, may want insulation on the floors.

That's all you really need for a color change, but when you have it out/apart, I'd install all new dash trim ($200+), new armrest bases, mirror and visor brackets, maybe the side trim for the headliner, new sill plates,

When you have the dash out/apart for painting, perhaps install the Shiftworks dash gauge conversion set... Also time to consider replacing light switches, etc...

Easy to snowball... And there are numerous suppliers and numerous retailers with prices all over the map...

IF you are hiring it all out, then I'd guess adding $2500-$3500 for labor and miscellaneous (also depends on your location)...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 7:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

66DmnHnter, Where are you located?
If you are near my shop in Nor Cal I can help you put your interior together.

Auto Upholstery Trimmer since 1977
Palo Alto Upholstery 650 326 6414
1967 Chevelle Super Sport 4sp.
1953 Chevy Bel Air 4 door.
1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr Hard Top.
1968 Chevy C20 CST Longbed.
1967 Malibu 396 Powerglide.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 8:04 PM
rkd
Team Member
Ron

For a 66, I would guess off the top of my head that you could buy all new black interior parts for about $1500, and the rest would be based on who puts them in.

My 66 came with no front door panels and a 67 back seat, so I have been buying interior parts for 12 years. Now have a black 66 front bench, door panel, carpet. Still need the headliner and rear seat area stuff.

Best part is you can buy every single bit of it!

66 Malibu Coupe, home rebuilt 350. Took me 39 years to get her!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Unread Today, 8:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

I agree with Ron. When I bought my 66, it came with everything, but it was all worn out. The buckets had been reupholstered poorly, and everything else needed replaced. I got a complete interior kit from the Truck and Car shop in Orange, CA and I think Ron is right, it was about 1500.00. That was many years ago, but it has held up well. They may charge more now, but it was a good investment.

66 Malibu

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Unread Today, 8:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66DmnHnter View Post
Hello, new member here.
Neighbor of mine has a '66 Chevelle SS396, was her husband's who passed away. Been in a garage for 18 years. Original color was Turquoise, but the owner previous to him painted it black. Interior is still the original matching color (also turquoise?). Interior is very clean, but carpet is faded, seats are worn, headliner is sagging, dash is dull. I've been offered the car for what I think is a very fair price. It is in very decent shape outside, no rust showing, and I'd like to start fixing it up. My one issue is I HATE the interior color. I've always been a resto-mod kind of guy, not really a purist when it comes to keeping things original, so I'd like to make this an all-black car. Does anyone have a ballpark cost figure to replace the entire interior in black?
Thanks.
Don't worry about keeping it original.

These cars are scarce and highly sought after. If you make it nice, it will bring around $40,000 easy.

Black on black looks awesome but Marina Blue with a bright blue or white interior is also stunning on a 66.

My 67 vert is originally Marina Blue (there will be a "FF" on the firewall tag) and it had black interior. I'm going with a white interior and top.

And no one will know if you increase the size of the engine. A 454 looks just like a 396.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, 12 bolt, Marina Blue with black interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in