• 1 Post By augy
  • 2 Post By RAMBO
  • 1 Post By red68chevL
  • 2 Post By RealRed70

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 5:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Driver Side Bucket Seat Problem

Ok Guys. Bear with me here. --- The drivers bucket seat-back in my '70 SS won't sit upright properly. Both buckets were leaning too far back, so I replaced the seat bumpers. The passenger seat is perfectly upright, drivers is still laying too far back. The best way I can describe it is this: You know when you pull the seat back up for someone to get in the back seat, then you put it back into position and you hear that little click which means it is locked in? Well. after the click, there is a tremendous amount of slack or play in the driver's seat-back. The passenger seat settles back in place perfectly after the click. It's as if who EVER drove the car before pushed against the seat-back so hard and maybe something like a hinge is sprung or the frame is bent. Any ideas or suggestions? I can drive it like it is, but it feels like I'm laying down and I'm miserable. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 5:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Re: Driver Side Bucket Seat Problem

Does it have the rubber stops on bottom seat frame for that the upper seat rests against?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 5:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Check to see if all the bolts are installed that mount the upper seat frames to the bottom frames. You must remove the lower seat skirt panels to see this. The bolts will be hid behind where the seat covers are hog ringed to the brackets that mount using the seat hinge mounting bolts.
red68chevL, augy and 1943MB like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 7:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

You might have frame metal fatigue, is it flexing when you push back on the backrest?

Auto Upholstery Trimmer since 1977
Palo Alto Upholstery 650 326 6414
1967 Chevelle Super Sport 4sp.
1953 Chevy Bel Air 4 door.
1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr Hard Top.
1968 Chevy C20 CST Longbed.
1967 Malibu 396 Powerglide.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Yes. I put new seat bumpers on because I thought it would fix the problem. It did help with the passenger seat, but the driver's seat still has the problem.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 19, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Cal, it isn't a flex problem. The seat-back has play or slop in it. After the click where the seat-back has locked in, the seat-back still has about 3-4 inches of play before it stops into the upright position.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 7:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealRed70 View Post
Check to see if all the bolts are installed that mount the upper seat frames to the bottom frames. You must remove the lower seat skirt panels to see this. The bolts will be hid behind where the seat covers are hog ringed to the brackets that mount using the seat hinge mounting bolts.
Next thing to check is this^^^^^

It might be easier to remove the whole seat from the car. 4 bolts hold it to the floor. Then you can remove both bottom plastic skirts, 3 chrome screws on each skirt, and check those hinge bolts. 2 on each side. With that much play in the seat back, those bolts could be loose, or possibly a couple of them fell out. I've seen that happen.

Let us know what you find.
RealRed70 likes this.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 10:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage
All the above.
As mentioned to id the real problem you need to strip that cushion. Either a little to view the hinge bolts or a lot to view the upper frame.

If you don't want to do that right away, just pull both seats and swap tracks to make the passenger seat the driver seat.

That way the comfy seat is the one you will be sitting in... Also when you are ready to work on it/strip that cushion- the car will still be driveable since it'd be the passenger seat.

Obviously that's a band aid, but if upholstery isn't your thing it may be ok until you are ready to try or ready to take it to someone.
71350SS and 1943MB like this.

Ben R.

-

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 10:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Malibu View Post
You might have frame metal fatigue, is it flexing when you push back on the backrest?
Unfortunately, I think that you'll eventually have to remove the seat, have it de-upholstered and have the metal frame fixed (or reinforced) then re-upholster it back. Putting some additional bumpers is a "fix" but not the real solution…

Good luck,

Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 12:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealRed70 View Post
This has to be it. Bending the seat frames would take a forklift pushing on it, not a person.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 2:51 PM
Tech Team
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by red68chevL View Post
This has to be it. Bending the seat frames would take a forklift pushing on it, not a person.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
If the car was rear ended at some point, the thick "ear" that rests on the seat back stop could be slightly bent upwards. Look at that ear. Is it level ? or bent up a little bit. If it is just bent a little, it could move the seat back a few inches. If this is the problem, then cut out a 1/8" or 1/4" piece of steel or aluminum and put it under the new rubber seat back stops. make them the exact same size with a hole in the middle and nobody will notice a difference. Be careful you do not make them too tall and effect the locking mechanism of the seat.

Harry
1970 Chevelle SS396 (408), Fathom Blue,
Original Block & Forged Crank, KB Pistons, Edelbrock 6045 Heads,Comp Cam 292H, March Serpentine, RPM AirGap,750HP,100hp Nitrous
A/F Wideband,Tremec TKO 600, 12 bolt,
30 spline Moser Axles, Richmond 3:73's, Hotchkis control arms, swaybars, springs, Wilwood 12" rotors D/S, 4 piston calipers
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 3:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

There is also the possibility that a previous owner did that to the seat on purpose.Its common to see cars set up with the drivers seat (& usually both seats) laid back like that.That is a popular way to drive for the younger hippity hop generation.
Rambo's post #8 is the quickest fix as both seats are the same.So with the brackets changed it gives you time to work on what will fix this plus it gives you a good seat to compare the broken seat with.One that hasn't been broken or modified.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 4:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjdca View Post
If the car was rear ended at some point, the thick "ear" that rests on the seat back stop could be slightly bent upwards. Look at that ear. Is it level ? or bent up a little bit. If it is just bent a little, it could move the seat back a few inches. If this is the problem, then cut out a 1/8" or 1/4" piece of steel or aluminum and put it under the new rubber seat back stops. make them the exact same size with a hole in the middle and nobody will notice a difference. Be careful you do not make them too tall and effect the locking mechanism of the seat.
I too have seen where the ear had to bent back into position. It is very hard to bend. The steel is pretty thick. I think I had to use an 18 inch Crescent wrench on it to bend it. It very well could be what is wrong here. That would be the first place that I would look. Just fold the seat forward and look at the ears on the seat back that rests against the rubber stops you just replaced on that seat. Then compare them to the passenger seat. Fold the seat forward take some pictures and post them here. Then we may be able to see what is going on.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 1:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

What did you find out here, Tricia? Any pics to post?
augy likes this.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 4:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Her last activity on this site was Aug. 26th. They must have figured it out and forgot about all of us who are in suspense. It goes like this a lot, where you never find out the solution to their problem.
davewho1 and augy like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in