• 2 Post By Gary 396
  • 1 Post By blm

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Casey

Garage
Question Power Bucket Seat Mounting Bracket

Hi after reading many posts here and other sites I found that I have the older floor brackets to weld to the floor of the car for Bucket seats.

I got them long ago for my 68 Malibu. Now there are the 4 piece type brackets that can be welded in.
I know the others will just fine and I can make a shim to fit on the front outter bolt location to mimic the new type bracket.
What I read that set me back was that the seat bracket for a drivers power seat frame needed a different floor bracket?
Or is it just the location is different?

It did have the split bench seat originally but want to convert to buckets. I have the correct 1968 seats with frames Etc
But wanted to ask before welding down the floor brackets and the finding out it is incorrect.
Thoughts?

Thank you in advance
Casey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 11:04 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: Power Bucket Seat Mounting Bracket

I didn't use the 4 piece kit when I did my 70 and found out later that the small bracket pieces are for making the bucket seats rotate just a little bit to get them away from the seat belt retractors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 9:04 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Dean makes a good point. With the 4 piece kit you need to use the inboard threaded mounting hole on the rear outboard mount. That puts your seat in the needed spot as far as being side to side. I'd get the 4 piece set. They are far superior to the old style.
What I would do is mock it up with the mounting brackets attached to the seat and see if the spacing on the long mount fits the seat mounting spots.
If they fit great. If not looks like you will have to cut the long mount into two pieces and either weld them closer together or farther apart.
One tip is to make sure the seat tracks are extended to the sAmerican position. If one is extended dedicated or retracted further than the other the seat will sit crooked.
Capt Casey likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Casey

Garage

I'll try mocking up the power seat system with the floor mounts and see if there are drastic changes needed. If it cutting a bracket that is the least of my worries.

Going to drill all the holes for the console and shifter today I hope then onto the power window holes in the door jambs!

Thank you both for the advice thus far.

1968 Malibu sport coupe to go with
my Barbie wife of the same year!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 2:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Power drivers seat tracks use a completely different floor mount (bracket) VS manual bucket seats. They are not even close to the same.

I believe the power track mounts are available via the restoration catalogs or used to be anyway.
fishhead likes this.

Ben R.

-

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 8:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Casey

Garage

I knew it Rambo! Thanks! I'll try to see what's out there...

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 11:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Casey View Post
I knew it Rambo! Thanks! I'll try to see what's out there...
The Chevelle Power seat brackets are much shorter than the normal Chevelle bucket seat floor mounting brackets which are longer. Your Chevelle power Seat Brackets will normally fit 1964 to 1972 Chevelles plus all other A Body GM Cars. You can purchase a set of two brackets on Ebay for $69 Dollars or from NPD. here is the link to order your power seat brackets.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-72-Che...gAAOSwvg9XVfXC

I have attached 3 photos showing the power seat assembly and the floor brackets. My first photo shows original Chevelle Power Seat Assembly with a set of original power seat floor brackets that is out the floor of a Chevelle. The second photos shows both original Power Seat Floor floor brackets separately. The final is a photo of the aftermarket "Parts Place" power seat brackets for $69 dollars. The Parts Place is out of Michigan or Illinois. These power seat floor brackets need to be Mig or Tig welded to the floor with the Chevelle Power Seat Assembly bolted to both of the power seat floor brackets and in the proper position on the floor. The Front of both power seat floor brackets need to be in line and even with the raised front floor lip in the Chevelle Floor. Also you need make room on both sides of the seat to have clearance on both sides for seat belt retractors before you weld. One further item. Keep the original lower seat springs in your bucket seat because if you replace the lower seat springs and use the power seat assembly, you will lose headroom. The reason for keeping the original lower seat springs bottom, is that new lower seat springs are higher which raises the height of the bucket position causing a loss of head of room. If this occurs, you will have to recline the bucket seat back in a very far position in order to gain more head room which is very uncomfortable. Check the headroom before welding. Good Luck Sincerely Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	! $1A1A.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	601292   Click image for larger version

Name:	! $1A1B.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	601294   Click image for larger version

Name:	! $1AC Power Seat Brackets.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	601296  
blm and Capt Casey like this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 9:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Casey

Garage

Gary Thank you so much for the information.
I was ready to modify the two piece brackets I have and try to utilize what was left!
This will save me many moments in time and painful trial and error!

Again thank you and the link and pictures are worth more than a thousand words!

Regards
Casey

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 19, 1:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Casey

Garage

Just one more question Gary.
The power seat bracket assembly mounts with the motor to the front or rear?

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 6:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Casey

Garage

Got the proper brackets and see that my power seat assembly looks a little different than the one Gary posted. the feet are a lot closer together. I wasn't sure if the assembly was in fact for a Chevelle. maybe an earlier on or an Impala?
I did find another one and it is exactly like mine so I am guessing set the seat frame where the seat should bolt in and cut the brackets to fit for length. Width will work fine!

Thanks all for the info thus far.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Casey

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Dean makes a good point. With the 4 piece kit you need to use the inboard threaded mounting hole on the rear outboard mount. That puts your seat in the needed spot as far as being side to side. I'd get the 4 piece set. They are far superior to the old style.
What I would do is mock it up with the mounting brackets attached to the seat and see if the spacing on the long mount fits the seat mounting spots.
If they fit great. If not looks like you will have to cut the long mount into two pieces and either weld them closer together or farther apart.
One tip is to make sure the seat tracks are extended to the sAmerican position. If one is extended dedicated or retracted further than the other the seat will sit crooked.

Brad I have to ask what you mean by this...sAmerican position I ask as I am thinking you mean right back or right forward on both sides? Most likely both to the front on both sides so the tracks are in sync yes?

Look forward to your reply With thanks

Casey

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 1:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Gary

Dear Capt Casey, Attached is a photo of showing a Chevelle with Dual Power Bucket Seats that were Not offered on Chevelles. If you look closely, the Motor and Pulley with Belt are always located at the front of the seat facing the firewall. The Chevelle Right Side Passenger Seat uses the upper bucket seat frame mounts from the right side of a power bench seat Chevelle (A Body) and uses the same drivers floor mount brackets that are Tig welded to the floor in a reverse order to those of the drivers side floor mounted power seat brackets. Also on the passenger side, the power seat switch can be taken apart and the power switch board can be reversed in such a way that allows the right side seat switch to be pointed forward direction so to move seat forward versus using the driver side power seat switch position where you have to point the power seat switch to the rear seat to move the bucket seat forward. There a very knowledgable person named Brett T. Lazicki whom is from Pennsylvania whom has a vast knowledge of Chevelle power seats and sells complete power seat assembly's and parts on Ebay. Brett's contact information is : [email protected] Silvertip, Inc. 570-238-1116 / cell phone / 570-523-1206 ext. 251. Best of Luck Gary 396
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$3AAA RustyChevelleSeatPhoto 12-22-2016.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	602172  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 1:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Casey

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Power Bucket Seat Mounting Bracket

Gary
First let me say thank you for the information re these seats and your patience with the questions.
After 30 years of being away from this it is tough to get one's head around things that in one's mind should just fit and work.

It is sometimes difficult to ask for advice and then not understand the advice given to you
I am guessing I forgot more than I took in as a younger man...LOL

The power seat assembly I am hoping to install is going to be for the Drivers side only.
The passenger will have the manual type so two different types of welded brackets.
The passenger side will be easy as I have the brackets and seat and will place them in in the correct location and mark and weld in as needed.
The drivers will be a little different. I do not have the tracks from the power bench seats as you sated that are used. I will go out on that limb and assume that is why the feet/mounting tabs look different.

I did contact Brett re my seat frame, prior to your post and he did confirm it was for a Chevelle. Thank you for his full contact info.
He said likely have to modify the seat mounting brackets that are welded to the floor.

Again thank you for pointing out the different tracks and sides , switches and the like.

Last edited by Capt Casey; Sep 2nd, 19 at 1:22 PM. Reason: adding info
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 3:27 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Casey View Post
Brad I have to ask what you mean by this...sAmerican position I ask as I am thinking you mean right back or right forward on both sides? Most likely both to the front on both sides so the tracks are in sync yes?

Look forward to your reply With thanks

Casey
Well Casey unfortunately that is spell check or auto spell trying to guess what I want to type. That should have said "same position" and I did not catch that error by the allowable 30 minute window to edit ones post. Now I have complained about the BS thirty minutes edit limit and even conducted a poll which allowed the site users to vote on changing that limit however that fell on deaf ears. The Admin just can't fathom why anyone would need more than thirty minutes to edit a post. Used to be 24 hours by the way. Also in the poll the site members voted 4 to 1 to change the edit time back to 24 hours.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/67-...imit-poll.html

See how I worked that rant in there. whatever position (fully forward/fully back/right in the middle) make sure the other track is in the same position.
Capt Casey likes this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 8:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Casey

Garage
Arrow Re: Power Bucket Seat Mounting Bracket

So Just an update on this power seat bracket assembly.
I finally figured out what was different about this and why I was having so much difficulty with the power seat floor brackets
I was getting ready to weld in.

It is a Chevy power seat bracket and although it looks like the seat bracket for a Chevelle and I was told it was from a Chevelle...It's is really for an Impala.

So I am waiting for some new track slides that are for a Chevelle to swap out and make it sit correctly in the car. If it wasn't for that fact and that I can get them... I would make it fit and sit correctly.

Mine on Left and one from a vender on Ebay on right. Mine is on it's back but not the difference in the mounting tabs on the front and on one side. So hoping the parts will be found and I can start to install the brackets.
I knew I was doing everything that you good folks were saying but it still wasn't working.

Just when you think it you not reading or doing something you see it! the ah ha moment!

Thanks all who posted and yes the info will still help once issue is rectified!

Thanks

Casey
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190831_091846.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	602792   Click image for larger version

Name:	4way power seat2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	602794  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in