LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 4:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Josh

Garage
68 doors on my 69 2dr hardtop - help...

Hi from the UK

I have a 69 300 deluxe 2dr hardtop with pillars

The regulators have gone (rollers) and so I had 69 regulators shipped to the UK from Rock Auto

Turns out I appear to have 68 doors and the regulators and the rollers are the wrong size - assume these have been swapped out over the course of time... The regulators resemble 68 ones with the 'notches' at the end of the long regulator arm

So I have 2 questions I hope I can get help with -

1. I can only find one type of manual 68 regulator - is it the same regulator regardless of body type? i.e. will it fit a pillar coupe as well as a sport coupe?

2. If I wanted to replace the door card on these 68 doors with 69 ones to match the 69 car, will the fit right on or are the door card fixings specific to the door/year of 68s and 69s?

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 8:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Re: 68 doors on my 69 2dr hardtop - help...

Hello,
It would greatly help if you could possibly post pictures of what you are talking about so we could see what you have and what you're trying to do.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 10:06 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

What is a door card?
BillsCamino likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 10:36 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

The doors will swap out without any major issues, they will need weatherstriping for a '69.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Josh

Garage

Sorry, my UK speak...

The interior door panel that faces the inside of the doors

I've picked up that perhaps the door card is the same shape but that the position of the lock pins and the handles and winders may be in different points
RealRed70 likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Josh

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
The doors will swap out without any major issues, they will need weatherstriping for a '69.
Thanks, however I need to keep the 68 doors as a) they've been fully restored and resprayed to match the body and b) shipping a $200 door from the US costs >£1,200!

Therefore I need to know which regulator to use in this 68 Pillar coupe door and whether a 69 door card/panel will still go onto it

Cheers
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 11:14 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Yes, the hole for the lock rod in the door panel is in a different place since the inner hardware is different between 68 and 69.
It depends on vent wings or no vent wings, most 69's do not have them.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Josh

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Yes, the hole for the lock rod in the door panel is in a different place since the inner hardware is different between 68 and 69.
It depends on vent wings or no vent wings, most 69's do not have them.
Thanks - looks like I'm stuck with 68 door panels then!

Regarding the 68 window regulators - can anyone confirm there's only one type of manual regulator in a 68, regardless of pillar coupe or sport coupe?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Josh

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbadjosh View Post
Thanks - looks like I'm stuck with 68 door panels then!

Regarding the 68 window regulators - can anyone confirm there's only one type of manual regulator in a 68, regardless of pillar coupe or sport coupe?
Here's a picture of the only manual 68 regulator I can find, which looks like what's in the door...

https://www.ecklerschevelle.com/chev...left-1968.html
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 1:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

There are 69 post cars with vent windows. PUI makes 2 door SEDAN door panels for these models, however they are unassembled and you will need to re-use your original formed top metal and rivit it in place and finish wrapping the vinyl around the top and mount the window fuzzy.

as mentioned the door locks are in a different position between 68/69, however if you get the unassembled door panels its not an issue since you will punchy you own hole and add the bezel.
BillsCamino and 68-13427 like this.

Ben R.

-

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 2:13 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Josh,
I'll be in Southampton again the 1st week in September.
Anything you need that'll fit in a suitcase ??
RAMBO likes this.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 6:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Josh

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsCamino View Post
Josh,
I'll be in Southampton again the 1st week in September.
Anything you need that'll fit in a suitcase ??
Wow, that’s very kind - glad you found me again 🙂 let me pm you as the likely answer is yes and I. Return I can buy you a pint and take you for a ride in my car on the left hand side of the road! I’ll be in touch!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 6:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Josh

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO View Post
There are 69 post cars with vent windows. PUI makes 2 door SEDAN door panels for these models, however they are unassembled and you will need to re-use your original formed top metal and rivit it in place and finish wrapping the vinyl around the top and mount the window fuzzy.

as mentioned the door locks are in a different position between 68/69, however if you get the unassembled door panels its not an issue since you will punchy you own hole and add the bezel.
Thanks

So, I now think my mechanic was wrong when he suggested I must have 68 doors on my 69... the door pins are inset about 8” into the door, not on the outer edge like the 68s - am I right?

There my question remains on the 69 window regulators - are there differing regulators for the pillared 300 deluxe coupe vs sport coupe?

If not then I am at a loss why the 69 replacement from Goodmark have rollers to big for my glass...
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 6:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Thanks

So, I now think my mechanic was wrong when he suggested I must have 68 doors on my 69... the door pins are inset about 8” into the door, not on the outer edge like the 68s - am I right?

There my question remains on the 69 window regulators - are there differing regulators for the pillared 300 deluxe coupe vs sport coupe?

If not then I am at a loss why the 69 replacement from Goodmark have rollers to big for my glass...
I can't answer that exactly... can you take a pic of the rollers? I have the door panels off on my 68 post car, I can look tonight and compare them to what is in mine.

Perhaps the post cars window roller mechanism/configuration is different altogether due to the vent window and the captured glass frame & channels?

Ben R.

-

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 7:01 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Quote:
Wow, that’s very kind - glad you found me again 🙂 let me pm you as the likely answer is yes and I. Return I can buy you a pint and take you for a ride in my car on the left hand side of the road! I’ll be in touch!
I'll take a Guinness
I've driven a black '72 SS on the left side of the road many times...in Ireland.
I'd be proud to ride "shotgun" in yours !!!

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in