Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

5Likes
  • 2 Post By Cam
  • 2 Post By augy
  • 1 Post By blackhawkMC

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 8:32 PM Thread Starter
Jody

Did '68 Chevelle Malibu come with Deluxe interior?

Hi,

Did the '68 Chevelle Malibu Convertible have a "Deluxe" interior option. The reason I am asking is that I am in the process of looking for interior door latch mechanisms for a '68 Chevelle Malibu Convertible. This item would be the mechanism that the interior door handle attaches to. I have found several places that carry them but the listings usually have "fits standard interior" or "excludes deluxe interior".

From the research I have done, I cannot find anywhere that states that the Malibu came with a "Deluxe" interior. Can I purchase the latch mechanisms for a "standard" interior without worry that they will not fit?

Thanks for any help.

Jody Vincenzes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 9:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Re: Did '68 Chevelle Malibu come with Deluxe interior?

chevellestuff.net/1968/index

chevellestuff.net/1968/exterior-interior

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 10:48 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Dyno steered you right. I will add that although there was a "deluxe" interior for a Malibu, it was the Concours option and was not offered on the convertible (or at all in Canada). Also another possibility is that it is a Baltimore car built around April that may have come with either a Cutlass interior or a variation of the Buick Skylark interior.

Maybe I am mis-reading it and the vendors are stating the difference between, say a 300 Deluxe vs. Malibu. That also could be what they mean.
Alan F and davewho1 like this.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC Gold #120

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 9:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVincenzes View Post
I am looking for interior door latch mechanisms for a '68 Chevelle Malibu Convertible. This item would be the mechanism that the interior door handle attaches to
If I'm reading this correctly, Jody is looking for just the latch mechanisms. It shouldn't make any difference if the interior is "standard" or "Deluxe". The actual mechanisms are the same inside the doors.

Correct?
68-13427 and spoffie1962 like this.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Jody

Thanks everyone for the info.

I added a picture of the item I am looking for. I should have added it to my original post to avoid confusion.

If I am reading the trim tag correctly, it is a Baltimore car with the Buick bench seat.

The following is off the trim tag:

04A 183668 140248 4
ST 68 13667 BAL 02810 Body
TR 765-158 G2 Paint (G2 may be GG) it's hard to read.

Thanks again for the info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1953.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	598782  

Jody Vincenzes
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 12:02 PM
Tech Team
Cody

I think they're referring to the scuff guard or plate behind the arm rest. It makes it necessary for the door handle stud to be longer, Monte Carlos have the same issue where a standard mechanism is too short. It's the plate shown below.
RAMBO likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 4:41 PM Thread Starter
Jody

Thanks BlackhawkMC,

I will have to check to see if we have the scuff plate on our Malibu.

Thanks again.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Jody

It's been a few weeks but I was able to verify that we do have the scuff plates on the door panels.

Now the next question: Does anybody know where I can buy the mechanisms with the longer door handle stud? It seems every where I look it is the short door handle stud. I sent e-mails to several suppliers and didn't get any responses.

Thanks again.

Jody Vincenzes
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 12:57 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
It's been a few weeks but I was able to verify that we do have the scuff plates on the door panels.

Now the next question: Does anybody know where I can buy the mechanisms with the longer door handle stud? It seems every where I look it is the short door handle stud. I sent e-mails to several suppliers and didn't get any responses.

Thanks again.
When I was looking for some years ago for my Malibu, you had to find good used. The 68 ones are slightly different from 69-72, and nobody reproduces them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 1:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:

Thanks again.
Call "all american classics" in vancouver wa. they have several 68s in their yard in various states of teardown, I'm sure one of them will have had the longer studs.

Ben R.

-

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Jody

Just a quick update. I did find a set of used door opening mechanisms on ebay. They are from a 1969 Buick Wildcat coupe. The only difference is that the bolt holes are bigger on the ones I purchased on ebay, but I think I can get by that. It's a shame that someone does not make an aftermarket version for restoration purposes.

Thanks again to everyone who helped with this venture.

Jody

Jody Vincenzes
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 19, 4:15 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

@JVincenzes ; a bit late but hope this helps someone in the same situation.. The "standard" version is for armrests with no backplate and the "Deluxe" is for armrests with the backplate. Nobody had the deluxe available when I rebuilt mine earlier this year.

If you already have the Deluxe mechanism (longer shaft) and just need a rebuild, you can buy the standard door mechanism and swap the shafts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in