• 1 Post By BillsCamino
  • 1 Post By Greg P
  • 1 Post By paul bell

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 6:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Patrick

Plastic and Vinyl 1966 Medium Red Paint

Hello, I am looking to find an EXACT match interior plastic/vinyl paint for my 1966 El Camino. The Trim Tab says 748-A, which refers to it as "Medium Red" with a paint code of 71550 on the chipsheet. It looks quite similar to other GM reds of that year and perhaps it is the same. After a couple hours research, though, the closest I can get to finding what I need in aerosol form is SEM Color 6401 "Medium Metallic Red 1966 Pontiac GTO." Is this the same Medium Red? Does anyone have a suggestion? Are there any reputable shops that will color match the hue for me if I send them a small piece of the color? I appreciate any responses. Thanks!

Patrick
1966 El Camino Red/Red 327 PG
Dlr Inst A/C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 8:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Re: Plastic and Vinyl 1966 Medium Red Paint

I had a paint store custom mix SEM interior paint to match a red interior I couldn't find red kick panels for. I took them a scrap of material to match up.
The paint matched exactly.
BillsCamino likes this.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 19, 8:38 AM
Tech Team
Dave

I don't believe the interior red had any metallic in it.
davewho1 and Westieterrier like this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 4:05 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Patrick

What kind of paint store Jon? Did they have various SEM Fabric/Vinyl Paint hues to mix or did you bring them these? Thanks. P

Patrick
1966 El Camino Red/Red 327 PG
Dlr Inst A/C
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 7:30 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

An ordinary automotive paint store.

They mix up SEM interior paints just like they would any normal exterior paint. They scanned my sample of vinyl, came up with a formula, and mixed it up. Even put a dab of the paint on the vinyl sample and dried it with a heat gun and asked me if the color was to my liking before they finalized everything. They put it in spray cans for me so I could spray the kick panels, dash, and around the rear package shelf area. Could not have been happier with the ease of the deal.
BillsCamino and RAIDER SS like this.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 10:16 AM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
I had a paint store custom mix SEM interior paint to match a red interior I couldn't find red kick panels for. I took them a scrap of material to match up.
The paint matched exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
An ordinary automotive paint store.

They mix up SEM interior paints just like they would any normal exterior paint. They scanned my sample of vinyl, came up with a formula, and mixed it up. Even put a dab of the paint on the vinyl sample and dried it with a heat gun and asked me if the color was to my liking before they finalized everything. They put it in spray cans for me so I could spray the kick panels, dash, and around the rear package shelf area. Could not have been happier with the ease of the deal.
Yep...done this numerous times.
Westieterrier likes this.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 11:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westieterrier View Post
Hello, I am looking to find an EXACT match interior plastic/vinyl paint for my 1966 El Camino. The Trim Tab says 748-A, which refers to it as "Medium Red" with a paint code of 71550 on the chipsheet. It looks quite similar to other GM reds of that year and perhaps it is the same.
It's very possible that the red you are looking for is GM code M30. If so, this OER paint may be what you need. https://www.oerparts.com/product/196...rts/pp802.html For $16.95 plus shipping you can find out.

I'm restoring a '68 El Camino SS and needed M17 Medium Blue for the interior vinyl and plastic pieces. I got a couple of cans of OER's M17 and it was a perfect match.

Greg

My 68
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and my 68
. In 1968 I got my
66 Chevelle SS. 30 years later, I got my
. Both Chevelles are in the same location.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech Team

Any original painted interior items on the 50 year old cars have faded a bit. A fresh spray of even the same paint will be a shade or two off.

As mentioned above, have a body shop paint supply match some existing trim and they'll put it in an aerosol can for you.

It's important to tell them what color plastic you'll be painting onto.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in