5Likes
  • 3 Post By RealRed70
  • 1 Post By Pioneer4x4
  • 1 Post By blm

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 2:03 PM Thread Starter
Bob

Bench seat floor console??

Hello! I just bought the 72 Chevelle Malibu convertible that my parents bought new (my grandpa was the dealership salesman). It has a bench seat which I’m fine with, I was wondering if anyone has tackled making a floor hump console with the bench seat? I’m thinking of putting a Rockford Fosgate PMX-2 gauge style radio and a couple cup holders in it. I’m thinking plywood covered with black carpet to match the floor. Would love to see pics if anyone has done something similar. Here’s a very rudimentary mock-up:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 2:06 PM Thread Starter
Bob

Forgot the pic!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1563559529936.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	598668  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 3:42 PM
Tech Team
Greg

The one thing I find unbelievable is that none of these cars had any cup holders, I am looking to do something to my 66. I have bucket seats I have thought about modifying the console lid for some cup holders. I would be also interested if anyone else has done this. Looking for ideas as well, thanks

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 3:58 PM
Brad

Garage
Re: Bench seat floor console??

Check out Classic Truck Consoles Muscle cars
I bought one of their fiberglass consoles for my bench seat 1966, but they have everything you need....including the cup holders. Under $200.00 delivered to the door. A few little modifications and a trip to the upholsterer, and it fits perfect.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A4CA6471-95C3-4EB2-92C0-27B4D9941110.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	598682   Click image for larger version

Name:	3094DC2B-614C-43CB-911F-DC75922ACB4F.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	598684  

1966 Chevelle Malibu 2 Door Coupe
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 5:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grock-co View Post
The one thing I find unbelievable is that none of these cars had any cup holders, I am looking to do something to my 66. I have bucket seats I have thought about modifying the console lid for some cup holders. I would be also interested if anyone else has done this. Looking for ideas as well, thanks
As far as these cars not having any cup holders. Growing up when these cars were new, I just do not remember people having to have a drink with them constantly like they do today. There was no bottled water that I can remember. Most of the drinking in vehicles that I remember was beer. The cans never really have seemed to get set down, just thrown out the window and grab another. There were very few fast food joints around, so that cut down on the availability of drinks. Today people seem have drinks on hand much more than years ago. In a 70 Chevelle the closest thing you got to a cup holder was the two circular indentations on the hinge of the glove box door. In 71 they did away with that. Below is your 1970 Chevelle cup holders. They could really only be used at a drive in restaurant or you drinks would end up in your lap.
ZZ69chevelle, blm and 68-13427 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 6:49 PM
Tech Team

they had those indentations way back.if i remember right the 62 impala the console lid flipped clear back almost to the back seat and it had 2 or 3 indentations on it..
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 8:07 PM
Tech Team
Greg

Those aren’t cup holders, a poor excuse for one looks more like a manufacturing gimmick

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 8:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

That is what you got for a cup holder. It was only functional when you were parked. Years ago people just did not drive around with an open drink going constantly like they do today, unless it was a beer. The beer cans they never held onto for long. Seldom it was a soda, and almost never water years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Bob

Thanks Brad66 - I’ll check those out!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 5:57 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I remember cup holders were chrome steel you hung over the window, or they were molded into the top of your cooler which went on every trip over 2 hours.
68-13427 likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 11:06 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads 66 View Post
Check out Classic Truck Consoles Muscle cars
I bought one of their fiberglass consoles for my bench seat 1966, but they have everything you need....including the cup holders. Under $200.00 delivered to the door. A few little modifications and a trip to the upholsterer, and it fits perfect.
Brad,
I actually think that console looks ok. Usually not a big fan of home built or aftermarket consoles. Most just dont fit the style of the vehicle. There is always the tried and true sandbags, over the trans tunnel with built in cup holders. That way when not in use just remove. Think that is what I would do. By far the cheapest and a non permanent solution. Could even make your own.
RealRed70 likes this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 2:29 PM
Team Member
Steve

Here is a picture of a Hurst quarter stick with console that I fabricated from plywood and acrylic. It housed three gauges and my CD player. This was in my '68 until about 2005 when I decided to go in a different direction. I really enjoyed it while it was in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171128_201557_1563647076562.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	4.70 MB
ID:	598738  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 4:35 PM
Tech Team

Console in my 66, works great for now
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1563654889902.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	598754  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in