Procar Rally seats, anyone? - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 3:47 PM

Re: Procar Rally seats, anyone?

Pat: I bought my 1970 with the Rally seats about a year ago. I can't talk to the install, but like many, I had to fix the slider "cable" on both sides; literally a piece of coat hanger but kind of dumb that it's so cheap. Last year I was planning replacements, but I've grown to really like them. It's always a weird feel when you first slide over the bolsters, but then they're just really comfortable. I'm 6'4" so visibility isn't a problem. But neither is headroom; there's plenty. Build quality is very good. Finally, they look great. They're different but not too different; if you know what I mean. Unfortunately/fortunately, now that I've gotten through the thread, I ordered the matching seat covers for the back
Pats70ss likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 5:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Pat,
Here is a thead where Rambo installs the Legendary Rallye covers and makes several comparisons between them and the TMI covers. Also the end user gives his review. One thing I have noticed. All user complain the foam is too stiff on all rally seats. Rambo does make a great recommendation. He suggests using an ACI bun for the ass section and just using the bolsters from the rally buns. Problem solved.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/26-...elivery-2.html
The better solution is to just buy an extra set of repop seat tracks, cut 3/4" inch out of the legs and weld the feet back on. I've had several customers do this and then be 100% happy with the seats after that.

I'm late to this conversation- but thats ok because I was also really early to it!
I had procar rally's back in Y2k in my 69 elcamino.

I found them to be an awesome seat- although even with the seat at the lowest of the 3 positions it was still a tiny bit high IMO, though after a year of use they did settle a tiny bit.

The bolsters took some getting used to getting in and out, but man once you are in those things, its like you are in a slot car. I took the car on several multi hour roadtrips and they were excellent.

The only thing i didn't like about them was that the seat backs were so much shorter vs stock buckets. nearlty 2" lower. I understand procar is now selling a taller back version, and wider bottom version- Both probably good improvements, though the original really wasn't bad.

I didn't have any issues with the brackets or sliders- though it is worth noting they make 2 versions, one for FACTORY BUCKETS, which assumes you already have the factory brackets/stands welded to the floor... the other version is for factory bench seat cars, the outer feet will fall over the factory holes, and then you drill the inner ones... the angles and what not are corrected for NOT having the factory brackets/stands.

Had to really dig for this photo... taken in 2001!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before-016s.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	596250  
Pats70ss likes this.

Ben R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 8:34 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Ben, is the problem just the cushion height or is it the stiffness as well? Got the impression in rereading your thread it was both.

post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 8:58 PM
Tech Team
Brad

Garage

I have the Procar Elite seats in my '67 Chevelle. I'm on my second set, as the first ones had foam and stitching issue after about 20 years of daily driving. My buddy had the Rally in his Camaro and they were very comfortable for long trips. The only issue to look out for is the steering wheel. With the tall side bolsters and large steering wheels, there can be a tight squeeze between the wheel and the seat, depending on where you keep the seat.

You can call their tech line and ask questions. I'm very happy with the seats and the service from them.
Pats70ss likes this.

Brad Waller

'66 Corvette | 352/??? | 4-speed | Wilwood Brakes | 245/50/16
'67 Chevelle | ex-SS396 | 355/700R4 | F-Body Brakes | 275/40/17
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 10:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Ben, is the problem just the cushion height or is it the stiffness as well? Got the impression in rereading your thread it was both.
Hey brad-
The extra height with the TMI sport & legendary Rallye seat buns is a result of the buns being too stiff.

Overall dimensions are about right, but the OEM buns were very soft and compressed. Those ones don't, so your head is in the headliner and gut is up against the wheel.

Anyway, don't want to distract from the procar conversation... Totally different animals
Pats70ss likes this.

Ben R.

-

post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 6:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChilders View Post
Pat, I just realized you aren't to far from me. If you ever head towards Philly and want to sit in the procar seats in a car let me know.

Thanks Jon, I get down that quite a bit for work. Are you far from the PA Turnpike?

Pat
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 19, 7:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Pat

certainly lots to think about..I set in a TMI in Carlisle this weekend. It was no the Sport R cover and bun but the entire assembly. It was quite comfortable. Procar seems to get mostly good reviews on here.
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 9:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats70ss View Post
Thanks Jon, I get down that quite a bit for work. Are you far from the PA Turnpike?

Pat
I am not too far at all.

1972 Chevelle SS 454 "W" code
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 19, 10:24 PM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

So I have modified my Procar seat adaptors for the second time. The first time because they didnít match the bucket seat bolt pattern for my 66 and now lower them closer to the floor.
The first pic (painted black) shows the original height. The second photo (painted red) are the new lower profile version.
Lowered them more than an inch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1D7F2C31-2646-4CC9-B8AD-39239A406DBA.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	596570   Click image for larger version

Name:	5EFDA7FB-E3F3-4BAE-846B-F1F9BDAAEC32.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	596572  
-SS454- likes this.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 19, 6:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Pat

Did you like them better after lowering them? I went to CJ Pony today a d star in both the TMI Sport R and Procar Rally. The TMI was nice but the bolsters seemed very subtle, Procar was very nice too with the bolsters more pronounced. When I talked to TMI they said if you get covers and buns the bolsters are not much more than stock? Where the complete seats have a much more pronounced bolster. Not sure if that is true or if they are just trying to upsell to the complete seat. I would hate to spend a lot of money on cover, buns and labor to install for something not much more than I already have.
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 19, 7:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Pat

I have been trying to decide what company to go with for my covers a d buns this winter. Went to a local shop that has the TMI and Procar. Wife and I both decided we prefer the TMI. Summit racing had much better pricing that buying direct from TMI. I call TMI, told them what I wanted and asked for the part numbers so I could be sure I was getting the right things when I placed the order with Summit. They told me they could not provide me with them! I asked them to clarify that they could not provide the numbers of THEIR product to me and they said that is correct. I told them I have never heard of such a thing and hung up. Guess I will be calling Legendary and talking with them!
post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 19, 8:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Summit may sell them using their own part numbers which may not be the same numbers that TMI uses. You see this alot.

post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 19, 9:05 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Summit always lists the manufacturers part number in addition to their part number. I believe this is on everything they sell.
post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 19, 9:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

I just finished covering my seats with the Legendary covers, but I'm not too happy with my work. There's still a few wrinkles I couldn't get out, and my hands gave up by the end of the day. Other than that though, they are good enough for my piece of junk. If I get ambitious, I'll try to work them out better, but it's doubtful. I threw the driver's seat in just to see how it felt, and yeah, it's firmer, but the old buns were crumbling and a bunch of springs were broken. I find them very comfortable but different. I'm 5'11 and 240#, and don't feel squished in or too high/far front. The only thing I would like is the rear to be lower just to lean the seat back a little, but I thought the same thing with stock seat covers too. I always have the seat in my other cars a little reclined. Anyhow, just thought I'd add my take on the Legendary Rallye seats. Once the car is driving again, I'll get a better feel of them. Forgot to add, they don't tilt forward as far because of the bolsters. That may or may not be an issue for some.
RAMBO likes this.
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 19, 9:19 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Steve,
Did you hit those seat covers with a heat gun? Carefully as not to get them too hot but that will take out some wrinkles. As far as that goes with the sun and heat this weekend you might just want to try and set them out in the sun for a bit.

Pat, aside from asking them for the part numbers I think I would have told them that you are considering all brands of Chevelle rally covers and why should you purchase TMI over Legendary. Then I would call Legendary and do the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in