Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 19, 11:06 PM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage
Re: Procar Rally seats, anyone?

I purchased Procar seats for my 66 and am generally not happy.
First off, the adaptors to bolt them into my car didnít fit. I called Procar and found out they used a 65 seat bolt pattern for their 64-72 adaptors. They had no alternate so I cut the brackets off the floor adaptor and welded them back where they should have been.
When installing them I noticed that due to the size of the bolsters on both the seat bottoms and seat backs, the seat barely tilts forward at all. The bolsters hit one another. There is no way someone could get into the back seat of my car without first sliding the seat all the way forward.
The linkage that releases both side of the seat track with one lever sucks at best. I threw their crappy little wire away and made a better one. And even with that fixed they are extremely difficult to slide fore and aft.
The seat is freakishly tall. There is a ton of room under the seats which looks funny. Iím now going to (again) cut the brackets off the floor adaptors, cut them shorter and reweld them. I think Iíll be able to gain an inch or so.
The stupid little flaps on the sides of the seats are too short, in both length and height. They look ridiculous.
On the good side, they do fit my a** quite well and they are substantially lighter than stock.
If I had to do it again I would not purchase Procar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AE462029-C32A-4086-BC37-A7DEE239F0CF.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	596136  
Pats70ss likes this.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 7:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Pat

Always have the option of covers as well..my main goal is to give it a little more modern look, little more comfort and get some bolster to the seat so I don't slide all over. Saw these on OPGI and the TMI's have been discussed as well.

https://www.opgi.com/chevelle/CH29119/
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 8:15 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats70ss View Post
There is a place here in Harrisburg called CJPony parts that is a dealer for Procar and has their seats in their showroom. I will slip out and check them out. If they will match Summit I could buy the seats there and then just get the mounting brackets from Summit.
The mustang parts place, good idea. My stepdad orders stuff from them and he lives in florida. Says they are very good to deal with.

post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 9:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketchev1221 View Post
The mustang parts place, good idea. My stepdad orders stuff from them and he lives in florida. Says they are very good to deal with.

they are good, have one hell of an inventory. Don't ban me from the board but I have a 2012 Mustang GT with the 5.0 Coyote motor so I go there for parts.
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 10:46 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

In reading over reviews of the Procar seats from Summit and others that sell them I have read many that had trouble with the mounting system and the seat adjuster system.
Also I may be off base but some said the Procar seats give a 40 lb weight savings. That may be important to someone who races but to me that means a lesser quality in general seat construction. Plus who knows what seat bun and cover quality is.
We're I traveling down this road think I would take a good look at the Legendary kit that offers the big bolsters. Haven't heard anything good or bad about those however Legendary is known for their high quality in their other products, can't imagine those would be any different. Plus our original A body seats may be 50 year old technology but they will last another 50 years because of the materials used.
Pats70ss likes this.
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
In reading over reviews of the Procar seats from Summit and others that sell them I have read many that had trouble with the mounting system and the seat adjuster system.
Also I may be off base but some said the Procar seats give a 40 lb weight savings. That may be important to someone who races but to me that means a lesser quality in general seat construction. Plus who knows what seat bun and cover quality is.
We're I traveling down this road think I would take a good look at the Legendary kit that offers the big bolsters. Haven't heard anything good or bad about those however Legendary is known for their high quality in their other products, can't imagine those would be any different. Plus our original A body seats may be 50 year old technology but they will last another 50 years because of the materials used.

Will look into Legendary, that is just a bun and cover? wonder if that is the one that I sent the link to from OPGI? I like the idea of keeping my stock frames
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 11:54 AM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Someone should make foam buns that REPLACE the springs in stock seats. Larger buns that replace the springs and original buns, with or without bolsters, that stock upholstery would fit would save weight, be less expensive, eliminate the squeaking. This is how new car seats are made today.
Iíd buy that.
Any foamologists? Foamaticians? Foamicators?

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 12:21 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

They are just covers and seat buns but looks like it includes some materials to install. One would reuse their original seat frames,springs,tracks, which I look at as a bonus. One other bonus is matching upholstery pattern. There would be no recline feature but only time I have ever used a seats recline feature is in the passenger seat on a long trip.
Would want to hear some feed back from those that have used them.

https://www.legendaryautointeriors.c...ket-seats-red/
post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 2:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Pat

I just talked with OPGI

THese are made by TMI

post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 3:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
They are just covers and seat buns but looks like it includes some materials to install. One would reuse their original seat frames,springs,tracks, which I look at as a bonus. One other bonus is matching upholstery pattern. There would be no recline feature but only time I have ever used a seats recline feature is in the passenger seat on a long trip.
Would want to hear some feed back from those that have used them.

https://www.legendaryautointeriors.c...ket-seats-red/

Brad,

I totally agree with using my existing frames. I know they fit and I know they work. It looks like the either the TMI that linked from OPGI or Legendary would match up close enough to factory that I would not have to anything with my back seat.
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 3:48 PM
Tech Team
KEITH

I have used the Procar Rally seats in a chevy 2. They sat crazy high, and the bolsters were just high and stiff enough to make it a total pain to get in and out of the car. I would not use them again.

I have the TMI foams and covers in my 69 camaro. Not a horrible product, but you need to know a few things going in. Things that TMI does not advertise. You will sit about 2 inches higher, and about 2 inches closer to the steering wheel. Its just the nature of the beast. I used seat track extenders to sit me back , and installed a tilt column . all that to have marginal bolster seats. They are more comfortable than the stock foams, but not worth the hype. I would look into a seat out of a third gen Camaro, or even a European car. Hope my experiences help others.
Pats70ss likes this.
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 4:17 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats70ss View Post
I just talked with OPGI

THese are made by TMI

Pat,
IIRC Rambo has installed a set of those covers and foams. Can't recall if it was in the same thread but the person he installed them for is a member here and posted a review afterwards in possibly the same thread.
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 4:44 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Pat,
Here is a thead where Rambo installs the Legendary Rallye covers and makes several comparisons between them and the TMI covers. Also the end user gives his review. One thing I have noticed. All user complain the foam is too stiff on all rally seats. Rambo does make a great recommendation. He suggests using an ACI bun for the ass section and just using the bolsters from the rally buns. Problem solved.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/26-...elivery-2.html
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 4:49 PM
Tech Team
Geoff

Garage

I have the ProCar tall 90's in my 67. They look like they belong there. Made my own mounts as ProCar mounts set them way to high. As far as comfort, I've done 2 Power Tours start to finish, no complaints.
Pats70ss likes this.
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 5:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

Garage

Pat, I just realized you aren't to far from me. If you ever head towards Philly and want to sit in the procar seats in a car let me know.

1972 Chevelle SS 454 "W" code
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in