43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Re: Lower seat trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffschevelle View Post
Shane, your position and arguments on this are almost the same as if I came on here and asked someone to prove to me that 66 Chevelles did not come with rally wheels. Or that 67 Chevelles without disc brakes did not come with rally wheels. I mean, I have seen thousands and thousands of them that way at every car show since I was old enough to drive to a car show, so that must mean they built them that way right?? Of course not!!

Also, you need to realize that PUI (back when it sold all kinds of parts, not just interior kits) was selling that cheap chrome door edge guard crap with the rubber cement in it (which on a hot day melts and runs down and drips into the sides of your seat and on your carpet) as "Seat Trim" at least as early as 1982. That's when I got a set from them for my high school car. Then Ausley and Hinshaw started selling it too. So many many many cars that had restorations (or even just minor cosmetic improvements) from the early 80's until now had that garbage put on them. Which is the only reason why you have seen so many that way.

And as someone else already noted above, the fact that you refer to the presence of glue as a factor to support your theory actually proves my point, because neither the factory 66-67 seat color trim nor the 66-72 chrome seat back trim used any glue at all. It snapped onto the lip of the seat back or seat bun, with no adhesive.

So because I mentioned adhesive it didnt exist.

Got it.

Have a good night.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 4:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

There was no adhesive on the original trim pieces.

post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 6:01 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealRed70 View Post
There was no adhesive on the original trim pieces.
No kidding but you admit they're were trim pieces, that's like the fourth person to admit that.

post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 6:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

There were trim pieces, but not on the Chevrolets. They were only on the Olds, Buick and Pontiac's. That is what they are admitting to.

post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 7:50 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Shane,
I hope you are just busting everyone's balls. If not then you seem unopened to examples that have been shown.
If you are not satisfied I suggest AGAIN that you contact Richard Doyle. He shouldn't be too hard to get ahold of. If you won't accept his account of the happenings in the plant were they made several different brands of GM A bodies then you won't accept anything as proof. Before you go saying why dosent someone else contact him. .osteoporosis others accept the evidence presented here. You are the doubting one. Then it is you that needs further proof.
1966_L78, RealRed70 and 68-13427 like this.
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 5:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Shane,
I hope you are just busting everyone's balls. If not then you seem unopened to examples that have been shown.
If you are not satisfied I suggest AGAIN that you contact Richard Doyle. He shouldn't be too hard to get ahold of. If you won't accept his account of the happenings in the plant were they made several different brands of GM A bodies then you won't accept anything as proof. Before you go saying why dosent someone else contact him. .osteoporosis others accept the evidence presented here. You are the doubting one. Then it is you that needs further proof.
Brad.

I am open to examples. I KNOW there are Chevelle's that DO NOT have trim on the lower plastic bases.

I KNOW they don't use adhesive.

I also KNOW that for every Chevelle that doesnt have the trim there are two that do.

Do all 70's have the upper stainless strip that runs down the fender? No. Certain cars got this, certain cars got that...I just wanted to see something in writing, a memo, something in a factory document, book etc.

That's all I asked.

The pamphlet imo is a wash since it doesnt have anything top or bottom. Unless you suggest removing all the trim in every 68...that's what the pamphlet has.

Or the COUNTLESS restored 69-72 images on the internet that show factory restored, numbers matching, FACTORY lower seat trim. I'm not talking door edge guard.

That's a whole lotta people getting things wrong...

I'm sure we could go through the images here and start pointing fingers at inconsistencies with members "perfect" cars.

Wrong engine, having the wrong carb, having lower seat trim...all the same to me. Just sayin.

I was just curious as perhaps there may be a better explanation. No trim with a four speed, no trim with a BBC, no trim with a certain fabric pattern...or the line couldnt keep up and they decided to not add it for a few thousand cars, or it simply fell off.

post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 19, 7:26 PM
Tech Team

I can't attest to Chevelle's but I'm second owner for 43 years of a 1970 Monte with factory buckets. I have all the documents and paperwork from the first owner and the car was nearly perfect when I bought it. Nothing had been added or changed except for maintenance items. I have Chrome Trim on the seat backs and NO Chrome on the seat bottoms. I highly doubt the first owner took them off. He seem to be pretty fussy with it. Just my opinion, based on my experience.
blm, fishhead and RealRed70 like this.
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 19, 1:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Wait, now Iím confused. I thought factory bucket 66-67 Chevelle got color trim (not chrome) on the lower metal seat bolster panels and chrome trim around the upper metal back panel. B.O.P. Factory buckets got chrome trim upper and lower. That is what Iíve always been told. Is that not the case??

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 19, 1:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopfjaeger View Post
Wait, now Iím confused. I thought factory bucket 66-67 Chevelle got color trim (not chrome) on the lower metal seat bolster panels and chrome trim around the upper metal back panel. B.O.P. Factory buckets got chrome trim upper and lower. That is what Iíve always been told. Is that not the case??

Joe
Correct on the '66 - this is how my car was when I bought it in '79; I can't comment on '67.

I don't know about the B.O.P.
Kopfjaeger likes this.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 19, 8:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Shane, you wanted "proof"? Well, here you go -

These seat trim parts (upper and lower) are in the GM parts books FROM BACK THEN under Group 14.818. See these pages from the Chevelle parts book printed in February 1969 --

GMPartsWiki - Parts and Accessories Catalog P&A 34 February 1969

Note:

- For 66-67 there are a whole bunch of listings for the lower trim pieces (the left side of a seat referred to as "driver side outer pass side inner", and the right side of a seat referred to as "driver side inner pass side outer". And every single one of them shows a color. Not one of them is listed without a color, and not one of them says "Chrome".

- Then for the 66-67 seatback trim, there is only one part listed (p/n 7600026), and it does not mention any color (because it is chrome).

Then see the next page: GMPartsWiki - Parts and Accessories Catalog P&A 34 February 1969

- For 68 there is again one seat back trim part listed (p/n 7737616). Again, because it was chrome.

- But there are NO seat bottom trims listed EXCEPT p/n's 4854957-58 which are noted for "Production Deviation Trim Change", for trim combos 765/960, 765/168-980, and 765/158.

If you don't know what those numbers are referring to, those are the 68's that came with BUICK or OLDS or PONTIAC seats! Which DID have lower chrome trim, as everyone has been telling you. And that's why there's only one set of p/n's listed, since those were chrome. (No colors listed because in 68 they didn't put any lower trim on Chevrolet bucket seats, colored or chrome).

Also look at the listings for the "CAP" (which is the little chrome bullets on the ends of the trim) --

66-67 lists CAP p/n 7584956 as being for "driver and pass. seat side and back mldg. end". Because 66-67 seats had the trim on the sides and the back, so had to have bullets for all 12 ends of the 6 trim pieces. Note the quantity column says "A.R." (means "as required").

But 68 lists CAP's p/n 7738634-35 as being ONLY for the "seat back" -- one part number listed for the right side of each seat back, and the other part number for the left side of each seat back (which is something I did not know, that 68's had two different styles of bullets). And note that the quantity column says "2" for each part, so a total of 4 caps for the entire car -- or 2 per seat back. None on the lower sides, because there was no trim there to need a cap.

Happy now?

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 19, 8:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopfjaeger View Post

Joe
100% correct, 66 and 67, with the possible exception of Framingham built 67's having chrome all around. See my first post in this thread above.
Kopfjaeger likes this.
post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 19, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffschevelle View Post
Shane, you wanted "proof"? Well, here you go -

These seat trim parts (upper and lower) are in the GM parts books FROM BACK THEN under Group 14.818. See these pages from the Chevelle parts book printed in February 1969 --

GMPartsWiki - Parts and Accessories Catalog P&A 34 February 1969

Note:

- For 66-67 there are a whole bunch of listings for the lower trim pieces (the left side of a seat referred to as "driver side outer pass side inner", and the right side of a seat referred to as "driver side inner pass side outer". And every single one of them shows a color. Not one of them is listed without a color, and not one of them says "Chrome".

- Then for the 66-67 seatback trim, there is only one part listed (p/n 7600026), and it does not mention any color (because it is chrome).

Then see the next page: GMPartsWiki - Parts and Accessories Catalog P&A 34 February 1969

- For 68 there is again one seat back trim part listed (p/n 7737616). Again, because it was chrome.

- But there are NO seat bottom trims listed EXCEPT p/n's 4854957-58 which are noted for "Production Deviation Trim Change", for trim combos 765/960, 765/168-980, and 765/158.

If you don't know what those numbers are referring to, those are the 68's that came with BUICK or OLDS or PONTIAC seats! Which DID have lower chrome trim, as everyone has been telling you. And that's why there's only one set of p/n's listed, since those were chrome. (No colors listed because in 68 they didn't put any lower trim on Chevrolet bucket seats, colored or chrome).

Also look at the listings for the "CAP" (which is the little chrome bullets on the ends of the trim) --

66-67 lists CAP p/n 7584956 as being for "driver and pass. seat side and back mldg. end". Because 66-67 seats had the trim on the sides and the back, so had to have bullets for all 12 ends of the 6 trim pieces. Note the quantity column says "A.R." (means "as required").

But 68 lists CAP's p/n 7738634-35 as being ONLY for the "seat back" -- one part number listed for the right side of each seat back, and the other part number for the left side of each seat back (which is something I did not know, that 68's had two different styles of bullets). And note that the quantity column says "2" for each part, so a total of 4 caps for the entire car -- or 2 per seat back. None on the lower sides, because there was no trim there to need a cap.

Happy now?
Thank you for your time.

post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 7:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Jeff.....THANKS for taking the time to research this burning issue.....

Learned a couple things. After restoring GM buckets for the last 40 years, I knew about the lack of lower chrome trim on the '68-72 Chevy buckets, as opposed to BOP. Did not know about those part numbers and the fact that there are 2 different styles of caps (bullets) for the '68+ seat backs.

VERY interesting!
RAMBO and davewho1 like this.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 1:54 PM
Jim

Garage

Original seats are in my '71 SS and I have a spare set of buckets that came out of another '71.

None have the lower trim.

'71 SS 350
3rd and 6th owner
2017 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 2:12 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Hey this thread brings up another point. Can anyone prove that Chevys at least A body Chevys didnt get the plastic screens in the cowl relief holes. Can ALL those people with the screens installed be wrong?
fastss396man and RealRed70 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in