LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 11:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage
Re: Lower seat trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
If there wasnt a chrome strip, the adhesive can be felt on the surface.
If you feel adhesive on the surface then its REALLY not right... the OE chrome strips NEVER had adhesive inside them, in any of the years 66-72.

The really crappy repops (that are actually just door edge chrome) have adhesive inside them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 3:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
Again. How do we arrive at that?

What pamphlet, pictures, internal memo stated there is no lower trim?

I've been watching Ebay, car shows, barn finds, not to mention owned a couple...every, and I mean every, lower seat trim I've ever come across, has had a chrome strip.

If there wasnt a chrome strip, the adhesive can be felt on the surface.

Everyone is specualting....why? Is it missing from a parts manual? Is it not present on a picture? Hopefully we arent suggesting that every chevelle seat out there is actually a Pontiac, olds seat.

Does anyone have a document?
Really, it goes both ways. Do YOU have a document indicating that Chevelles DID have chrome trim on the bottoms? Lets see it!

The '66/'67 'Chevelle seats DID have trim, just not chrome plated... I just stripped down my old originals, and they have black trim (black upholstery).

I too, didn't believe it, because I never really looked closely at my dusty/ratty old seats, but when I went to check, sure enough, they had the colored trim...

Now I am trying to determine if they have "chrome" bullet end caps, or colored...
68-13427 likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker Sold
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 6:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

The colored trim used chrome caps. There were no colored caps.
caminonut likes this.

post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 10:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealRed70 View Post
The colored trim used chrome caps. There were no colored caps.
Thanks... Mine had no caps...

Here's mine, where you can clearly see the colored trim on the side panel, and chrome on the back panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old 66 seat.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	595510  
RAMBO likes this.

TC #1366
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 1:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

My 66 with buckets (blue) had blue lower trim...
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 1:44 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64tempestwagon View Post
My 66 with buckets (blue) had blue lower trim...
That's correct.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/307290...rolet-chevelle
post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 6:03 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Shane,
The following is where you can find the proof that Chevelle bucket seats did not have the lower trim.
Go to the Chevellestuff.com website. I believe under the 1968 catagory there is a section for factory advertisements such as shown in magazines of the day. In one 1968 ad it shows the new style bucket seat. In that ad it is clearly evident that the 1968 Chevelle bucket seat has the chrome trim on the seat back but not the bottom.
So that is a factory produced advertisement showing no bottom trim. Think that is pretty strong evidence.

Click on the " Chevelle Dealer Brochures" page. The pic is on there.
https://www.chevellestuff.net/1968/index.htm
Right. It shows NO trim on the back and possibly black trim on the bottom. Also, dealer brochures can be made a couple months before the final product or at least a few weeks before the product ships...doesn't prove they don't have it.

I would also like to add...I believe every 68 in the interior picture section has lower trim on the same website.

Also, just because the dealer makes a brochure doesnt make it fact. Cars can have serious flaws when they go to photography...missing engines, trans...do you think the big mac in the ad was made fresh? Sure it isnt plastic?

There are many possibilities as to why some don't have it.

Ran out

Early crappy design

Fell off - if your heavy, it's possible your movement snagged it.

Trim option added or deleted it

Saved money

I cannot accept...all the lower trim pieces floating around, and there are hundreds if not thousands for sale, all have the factory lower chrome trim, and these are not all Pontiac, olds pieces.

I am not talking about door trim either, the factory trim has a circular pattern to it...a few of you arent the only ones that have handled seats...

If you're willing to suggest SS with no power steering, no power brakes, had trim removed or perhaps only 300 deluxe cars got trim I'd bite...but just in this thread we have contradictions. I'm not saying NO trim, I'm saying there was trim. Black or chrome doesn't matter.

1969 chevelle
New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 6:56 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

You know who would be the one to ask. Richard Doyle????. He is the guy who worked in the Baltimore GM plant for 32 years and at one point worked in the upholstery shop. I've seen him post on here and he is a member of the Maryland Chevelle club. He also attends the northern Ohio Chevelle Show and I'm sure the Maryland show.
post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 10:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Here is another reason why you see so many 68-72 Chevy cars with the lower chrome trim. Back in the late 80' s when I went to car shows, I did not see many cars with bucket seats. Most were bench seat cars. As time went on people were constantly changing from bench to buckets. Now where did these people get there seat cores from? They got them from swap meets, salvage yards, wrecked vehicles, friends and so on. If they were not out of a Chevrolet or a GMC Sprint car they would have the lower trim on them. That would be on all Buick, Pontiac or Oldsmobile's. Not nearly as many Chevrolet's, Buick's and Oldsmobile's had buckets compared to Pontiac's. When I went to the salvage yards in search of seats, I always looked at the Pontiac's first. Why, because that is where I got most of my cores from. Now when most of the people restored the Buick, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac seats they just left the chrome trim on, because they simply did not know any better, or they simply just like the look of it there. Now all the Chevelle catalog companies come along. They just want to sell there products so they do not care if it is correct or not. They just know it will fit because it does on the other GM cars. So when I say it was not on the Chevrolet 68-72 models, I am not just guessing, I know.
RAMBO, davewho1 and 68-13427 like this.

post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 1:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealRed70 View Post
Here is another reason why you see so many 68-72 Chevy cars with the lower chrome trim. Back in the late 80' s when I went to car shows, I did not see many cars with bucket seats. Most were bench seat cars. As time went on people were constantly changing from bench to buckets. Now where did these people get there seat cores from? They got them from swap meets, salvage yards, wrecked vehicles, friends and so on. If they were not out of a Chevrolet or a GMC Sprint car they would have the lower trim on them. That would be on all Buick, Pontiac or Oldsmobile's. Not nearly as many Chevrolet's, Buick's and Oldsmobile's had buckets compared to Pontiac's. When I went to the salvage yards in search of seats, I always looked at the Pontiac's first. Why, because that is where I got most of my cores from. Now when most of the people restored the Buick, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac seats they just left the chrome trim on, because they simply did not know any better, or they simply just like the look of it there. Now all the Chevelle catalog companies come along. They just want to sell there products so they do not care if it is correct or not. They just know it will fit because it does on the other GM cars. So when I say it was not on the Chevrolet 68-72 models, I am not just guessing, I know.
This... More than any thing else this.

Back in the 80's the hot thing was to add every option imaginable to your car using parts from wrecked cars. Even Chuck Hansen commented on the posting of his friends long lost 70 LS6 car that was posted here a few months back that it was heavily optioned using Junk yard donors.

I would wager, just like SS cars, There are now way more bucket seats in Chevelles & A-bodies than there were new. Where did they come from?

BOP cars and B-Body cars that got them and were then parted out becasue they were less popular. On my own little peice of the universe I've converted quite a few original/unrestored lemans/GTO buckets into chevelle buckets. Not sure why those particular ones are so common, but they are.
1966_L78 and 68-13427 like this.
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 4:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO View Post
Back in the 80's the hot thing was to add every option imaginable to your car using parts from wrecked cars...

I would wager, just like SS cars, There are now way more bucket seats in Chevelles & A-bodies than there were new. Where did they come from?

BOP cars and B-Body cars that got them and were then parted out becasue they were less popular. On my own little peice of the universe I've converted quite a few original/unrestored lemans/GTO buckets into chevelle buckets. Not sure why those particular ones are so common, but they are.

I have probably owned 12+ seats of A'body bucket seats over the years, and very few were actually "Chevelle" upholstery. Most were Pontiac or Buick... Not only were those cars cheaper, and therefore probably used more for parts cars, but does anyone have the breakdown on how many BOPs got buckets compared to bench? Thinking of GTOs, weren't buckets "standard" equipment? Whereas, SS Chevelles, the buckets were optional.

And when those were added to one of my Chevelles (or El Caminos), I often replaced the upholstery. And with the fresh upholstery, I also refreshed the paint on the backs and side panels... Therefore I ALWAYS replaced the trim using what was available in the aftermarket, which still to this day is ONLY chrome. I have yet to find a suppliers of non-chromed seat trim, even the expensive "correct" trim and not just the cheaper edging... 37+ years of repro chrome and not one with non-chrome.

I know it drives me crazy when resto suppliers keep using incorrect application info. Catalogs still show early GTO/442 shifter humps as "Chevelle" even though they know its not true (I have personally contacted several).

IMO, that repro unavailability of colored, along with an abundance of less expensive BOP seat cores is what likely why nearly every restored Chevelle seat has chrome.

Personally, despite have numerous Chevelles (15+?) over the years, and being a very active member here for 20+ years, I didn't realize that Chevelles did NOT use chrome on the sides, until just a few years ago...

Now, like anything else, there may be some anomalies... Numerous plants built both Cheveles and BOP A-bodies, so there could be some discrepancies.

Has anyone seen a set of known original "Chevelle" bucket seats, with known original chrome on the lower panels? First, MOST (if not all) known originals used the colored trim on Chevelle. Secondly, the shear multitude of "experts" (after seeing hundreds of cars)that concede that Chevelles originally used colored trim...

Then don't forget the anomalies of those cars that use colored trim. IF all supposedly used chrome, then where did all the colored pieces come from? And why are the colored pieces ONLY found on Chevelles and never on BOPs?

And as for the earlier cars (66/67), only the upscale Malibu and Supersport had the option of buckets, so its not like the colored came only on the lower end models (300 and 300 Deluxe)...

TC #1366
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 5:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post

I have probably owned 12+ seats of A'body bucket seats over the years, and very few were actually "Chevelle" upholstery. Most were Pontiac or Buick... Not only were those cars cheaper, and therefore probably used more for parts cars, but does anyone have the breakdown on how many BOPs got buckets compared to bench? Thinking of GTOs, weren't buckets "standard" equipment? Whereas, SS Chevelles, the buckets were optional.

And when those were added to one of my Chevelles (or El Caminos), I often replaced the upholstery. And with the fresh upholstery, I also refreshed the paint on the backs and side panels... Therefore I ALWAYS replaced the trim using what was available in the aftermarket, which still to this day is ONLY chrome. I have yet to find a suppliers of non-chromed seat trim, even the expensive "correct" trim and not just the cheaper edging... 37+ years of repro chrome and not one with non-chrome.

I know it drives me crazy when resto suppliers keep using incorrect application info. Catalogs still show early GTO/442 shifter humps as "Chevelle" even though they know its not true (I have personally contacted several).

IMO, that repro unavailability of colored, along with an abundance of less expensive BOP seat cores is what likely why nearly every restored Chevelle seat has chrome.

Personally, despite have numerous Chevelles (15+?) over the years, and being a very active member here for 20+ years, I didn't realize that Chevelles did NOT use chrome on the sides, until just a few years ago...

Now, like anything else, there may be some anomalies... Numerous plants built both Cheveles and BOP A-bodies, so there could be some discrepancies.

Has anyone seen a set of known original "Chevelle" bucket seats, with known original chrome on the lower panels? First, MOST (if not all) known originals used the colored trim on Chevelle. Secondly, the shear multitude of "experts" (after seeing hundreds of cars)that concede that Chevelles originally used colored trim...

Then don't forget the anomalies of those cars that use colored trim. IF all supposedly used chrome, then where did all the colored pieces come from? And why are the colored pieces ONLY found on Chevelles and never on BOPs?

And as for the earlier cars (66/67), only the upscale Malibu and Supersport had the option of buckets, so its not like the colored came only on the lower end models (300 and 300 Deluxe)...
Again, I'm not suggesting no trim, black, chrome is all perfectly fine...

This goes along with the L debacle. There's no proof so you kind of take it for what you feel is right.

1969 chevelle
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 5:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

First, it's not an "L" debacle. There's overwhelming evidence to support both these theories. I guess you'd have to ask yourself just what you'd accept as proof. If you choose not to explain the many bits of evidence that have been laid out in this thread, I guess you could say there's no proof, but if you address all the evidence and kept coming up with more questions, then I think any rational mind would accept the premise that Chevrolet never used chrome plastic trim on the bolsters.
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 9:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Shane, your position and arguments on this are almost the same as if I came on here and asked someone to prove to me that 66 Chevelles did not come with rally wheels. Or that 67 Chevelles without disc brakes did not come with rally wheels. I mean, I have seen thousands and thousands of them that way at every car show since I was old enough to drive to a car show, so that must mean they built them that way right?? Of course not!!

Also, you need to realize that PUI (back when it sold all kinds of parts, not just interior kits) was selling that cheap chrome door edge guard crap with the rubber cement in it (which on a hot day melts and runs down and drips into the sides of your seat and on your carpet) as "Seat Trim" at least as early as 1982. That's when I got a set from them for my high school car. Then Ausley and Hinshaw started selling it too. So many many many cars that had restorations (or even just minor cosmetic improvements) from the early 80's until now had that garbage put on them. Which is the only reason why you have seen so many that way.

And as someone else already noted above, the fact that you refer to the presence of glue as a factor to support your theory actually proves my point, because neither the factory 66-67 seat color trim nor the 66-72 chrome seat back trim used any glue at all. It snapped onto the lip of the seat back or seat bun, with no adhesive.

68-13427 likes this.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (Survivor Z16 Picture album)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (Survivor 66 Picture Album)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
First, it's not an "L" debacle. There's overwhelming evidence to support both these theories. I guess you'd have to ask yourself just what you'd accept as proof. If you choose not to explain the many bits of evidence that have been laid out in this thread, I guess you could say there's no proof, but if you address all the evidence and kept coming up with more questions, then I think any rational mind would accept the premise that Chevrolet never used chrome plastic trim on the bolsters.
Debacle.

You only accept a build sheet as proof of an SS or matching non tampered with stampings. The VERY moment a car with the L that is a Malibu throws that theory out the window and now I believe there are 3 Malibus with the L and also SS cars from the same plant that dont have the L.

What evidence? I was shown a website that has interior pictures posted WITH THE TRIM. I was shown a dealer brochure that showed NO REAR SEAT TRIM ALSO.

Evidence is evidence. Not someone commenting "that's how its been for 30 years I've been redoing seats".

A dealer brochure isnt proof. It's a hint as to what it's supposed to appear like, an example. A dealer brochure, especially one from 1968 doesnt show all the options, configurations.

Not trying to argue as I just asked a question, but you cant count it as fact when the simplest answer could very well be, it fell off, somebody didnt add it, ran out etc.

You're suggesting ALL the cars that have the trim, now in the thousands, are all wrong and the few hundreds that dont have the trim are correct.

Also, the comment that many Pontiac, olds seats were added to chevelles is off because what buckets are the olds and Pontiac guys adding? Yes SOME seats could have been swaps from one brand to the other, but not all.

I'm looking for facts, not assumptions but like I said, there probably isnt any facts.

1969 chevelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in