Team Chevelle banner

ANOTHER Sweep gauge thread, new question though?

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Manic Mechanic 
#1 ·
Yes, I like my sweep gauge speedo. Since most are older threads with this first question, I'll ask again. Never know, the answer may change one day. Anybody make aftermarket sweep speedo gauges for us?

For what I hope is the new question. Two actually.
1) has anyone made their own custom panel for aftermarket gauges that will fit in the hole the sweep gauge fits in, vs having to replace the whole dash panel? With pics?

2) are there any sweep gauge speedos from other GM models that can interchange with the Chevelles? (Mine is a '72). Though very slim chance, is there a sweep gauge from a different auto mfg (ford, dodge, etc) that will interchange? If there can be an alternative using a sweep gauge from another model, or especially a different marque, you could have a stock dash while giving it a little bit of a custom spin. That alternative sweep gauge may also have better aftermarket support.

Just trying to think outside the box.....

Thanks all.

#2 ·
For your first question - wouldn't that replace the sweep speedo itself? I thought you liked the sweep speedo itself?

Or are you wondering if such a thing exists with a sweep speedo installed as well?

(BTW - I prefer the sweep dash itself over a 3 hole SS dash - but not the sweep speedo. I went with a Dakota Digital VHX installed in a sweep dash - the only thing replaced was the speedo cluster itself, the rest of the dash stays the same.)

#4 ·
I appreciate the comments and the pic.

Yes, I do like the sweep gauge, and I like some of the aftermarket gauges as well. But there are just so many options available where gauges or their layout is concerned. So when you have a '72 Chevelle in blue with the white deck stripes, how can you make it "different" from all the other blue and white Chevelles without major or radical alterations?

You change little things. HKalin, you did that with your gauges. The majority of available gauge panels place 2 smaller gauges on either side of the speedo & tach. You on the other hand have only 1 on the left and 3 on the right. Thus, your dash will stand out amongst the rest.

#5 ·
When I was doing my dash I intended on keeping the sweep speedometer and adding a tach on the column and a few gauges under the dash but when I took the speedometer section out it wasn't in as good of shape as I thought. I really didn't want to put a SS dash in or one of the plastic gauge inserts so I started looking to see what was available on the internet. I found this one which wasn't cheap but was made from billet aluminum and powder coated with a wrinkle finish. I decided to go that route and just added my choice of gauges to it. I like having things that are different in the car. You'll notice in this pic after buying a set of 396 Cross Flag emblems and not liking any area on the outside of the car for them I decided to mount them on the door panels.

Attachments

#7 ·
If I remember correctly a 59 Ford had a massive sweep speedometer. You could remove the needle, remove the panel, fabricate your own panel to fit the Chevelle hole, mount small new gauges around the perimeter, mount the ford speedometer and needle and you would have it. I also remember Oldsmobile had some massive beautiful speedometers in the middle to late 50's.

#8 ·
Sorry for the delayed response folks, been at kids church camp

Again, I appreciate everyones comment and pics.

HKalin, I like your thinkin' using the badges as you did. I saw recently anothers blue toy, a Mustang, that had painted the inside of their badges red so they were similar to our SS badging. Looked very good, and was unique. Considering doing that to my fender Malibu badges. Simple to put back to stock if I don't like it.

Suntreemcanic, thanks for the idea of the Ford, etc. i will look into them. The day before leaving for camp, I put my dash up on the counter to look it over real good, clean it, etc. Well, my dash bears the scars of yet more of the p.o. handiwork. It's nearly broken in two where the gauge panel transitions to the glove box portion, with duct tape and plumbers? tape keeping it from completely breaking into two.
I'm going to get into it this week and see what can be done. If I end up having to replace it..............

Thanks again.

#12 ·
Interesting question. I had the dilemma of not liking the sweep gauge but also not liking the cheap plastic dash replacements either. So to keep the factory idiot lights and turn signal indicators I decided to remove the factory sweep gauge cluster and formed a metal back housing to fit within the panel (after hacking a lot of the back) so that I could reinstall the gauges in the factory location with the factory mounting screws.

Hope this helps

1970 Chevelle SS (clone)
zz502 crate engine
700R4 transmission
ford 9", 3.70 gears, truetrac posi, 3 spline axles
Sniper EFI
Nickname ENVY SS

Attachments

#14 ·
Those all look nice. Only one I’m not into is the Dakota. I ended tearing mine apart and restoring it. But one day I might have to do something custom.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.