Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

1Likes
  • 1 Post By red68chevL

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Jeramiah

72 bucket seat frame

Hello,

Im converting my 72 to buckets from a bench. After looking at original frames (crazy expensive) we decided to buy repros from OPGI. The 2 we got have different springs frame heights. Im assuming the one that is level with the top of the frame is correct, but was hoping to get some advice from someone who knows before I send one back.

Also, since Im posting: do I need a layer of cotton batting if Im using foam? Iv seen videos of both methods ( I believe the cotton was correct for up to 70, but some people do burlap, felt, batting, foam on 71-72 also?)

Iv saved a lot of info of this site for building seats (this sites members are a great source of info) but if anyone has any links, info, advice Id appreciate it as this is my first go at this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FA1004E0-A20A-424E-93F5-C6CEC3743C05.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	594692  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 12:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage
To my eyes, It appears that one is a 68-72 style (tall) and one is a 66/67 style (shorter)... Though it could also be that it's installed wrong on the frame or that they provided the wrong frame for the 2nd one.

Can you post some more photos showing the complete back of the short one?

Ben R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 1:26 PM Thread Starter
Jeramiah

Re: 72 bucket seat frame

RAMBO,

Here are the pics of the shorter one (the one I believe to be correct based off what I can find on the internet)

Thank you for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E36E73DD-588E-4869-9DB3-142F1E2B22C2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	594700   Click image for larger version

Name:	282C89C9-4B41-443B-8D82-F6D5D12183E2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	594702   Click image for larger version

Name:	15F608EA-4743-4383-BE51-172E3D3E21C3.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	594704  

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 2:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

I'm thinking the short one looks right for 68-72. Can post pics of the tall one? The first Photo has some weird shadowing but it looks like there's some extra listing wire clamped to the top of the springs, those are not there on a Chevelle seat.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
RAMBO likes this.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 30th, 19, 4:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by red68chevL View Post
I'm thinking the short one looks right for 68-72. Can post pics of the tall one? The first Photo has some weird shadowing but it looks like there's some extra listing wire clamped to the top of the springs, those are not there on a Chevelle seat.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Looking on my PC now and I think you are spot on... the short one looks right, the tall one looks goofy.

Maybe some close ups of the tall one...

Ben R.

-

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 31st, 19, 7:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by red68chevL View Post
I'm thinking the short one looks right for 68-72
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO View Post
Looking on my PC now and I think you are spot on... the short one looks right, the tall one looks goofy.
Agreed. I just looked at both styles that I have stripped to bare frames right now. '69-72 are short, '66-67 are tall. Also have a pair of '68 buckets, but they still have all original upholstery on them, so I can't tell you which category they would fall into. Doesn't matter for this thread.

I can post pics if you need them, but my stripped frames/springs are pretty ugly with rust and broken springs. Future projects.....

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in