Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

1Likes
  • 1 Post By cheveslakr

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 19th, 19, 8:41 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Craig

Headliner Mildew Stains

Can you wash a headliner before installation? I was scheduled to install my headliner next week, but when I removed the headliner from the box to soak in the sun, I discovered some small mildew stains (see photo). Also, what pattern of material should a late 66 (April 66 Fremont) headliner be? Legendaryís site says Tiered, while Several other sites say Basketweave. (my car has a 2 tone fawn interior - code 712). My mildewed headliner was manufactured over 30 years ago (brand unknown), but the fabric pattern matches my original, while the patterns shown at the various sites donít match exactly. That why Iíd like to clean my 30 year old new one, if possible. Any insight from the experts would be appreciated.
Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E46BCE20-A317-4DF0-8055-8C9B87A5BA18.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	594020   Click image for larger version

Name:	6CA0048D-2BB2-41D3-B6D0-E8BF3C4AC440.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	594022  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 19th, 19, 9:29 AM
Tech Team

Garage
Re: Headliner Mildew Stains

Not an expert, but my survivor 65's white headliner and visors were stained when I got it. Someone here recommended goop hand cleaner. I put a little on a damp micro fiber cloth. scrubbed a little and it looks near new.

Last edited by aimhard; May 19th, 19 at 9:35 AM. Reason: addition
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 2:46 AM

Thanks for your reply. . .

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 9:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

That headliner is Tier Grain, did you get the stain out?
In a light colored headliner vinyl it might be permanently stained.
The problem of installing a 30 year ole headliner with mildew it has already weakened the thread and starting to rot.
Get a new one..

Auto Upholstery Trimmer since 1977
Palo Alto Upholstery 650 326 6414
1967 Chevelle Super Sport 4sp.
1953 Chevy Bel Air 4 door.
1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr Hard Top.
1968 Chevy C20 CST Longbed.
1967 Malibu 396 Powerglide.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Craig

Thanks, guys ! Buying a new headliner is not as easy as it sounds. None of the larger headliner suppliers, including Legendary, PUI, TMI and even James Hinshaw offer a 66 headliner in fawn. All suggested that I contact SMS in Oregon to see if they have any fawn material, but all thought it was doubtful. I finally found a fawn headliner option at Ausleyís and ordered it, but so far the order is listed as backordered and Iím fearful that Iíll be receiving a cancellation message in the near future. In the meantime, Iím planning to contact a dry cleaner and possibly a few fabric stores to see if they have any thoughts on cleaning my new 30 year old headliner. I really want to get my car finished this summer, but donít want to install a headliner more than once. Iíll let everybody know if I come up with a solution.
Craig
BTW - I was surprised to learn that thereís some disagreement on what pattern of material was used in 66. Several of the companies claim it was Tiered and others claim basket weave. My car (April 66 Fremont) definitely was built with Tiered, but the pattern is slightly different from the tiered offered by the suppliers today. Maybe it varied by plant, time frame, etc., but I donít know for sure. For me, either fabric type is fine as long as itís fawn colored.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 2:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Who's suggesting SMS? Have they ever dealt with SMS? If you go SMS, don't pay, wait till they your pull the product, have it ready to ship, then pay. They have a LONG history of ignoring the customer and if they do communicate, they make false promises. BUYER BEWARE! Search "SMS reviews", it's very sobering.
Now, if you deal with Cars, which have a great reputation for providing rare fabrics, question where they purchase their fabrics. If it's SMS, make sure you establish a timeline guarantee.
RAMBO likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 3:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Heres a hint, Take the mildewed headliner to a Auto Upholstery shop, they can order the vinyl headlining and make you a new one.
You don't have to rely on Mail order suppliers.

Auto Upholstery Trimmer since 1977
Palo Alto Upholstery 650 326 6414
1967 Chevelle Super Sport 4sp.
1953 Chevy Bel Air 4 door.
1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr Hard Top.
1968 Chevy C20 CST Longbed.
1967 Malibu 396 Powerglide.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 19, 5:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs66 View Post
BTW - I was surprised to learn that thereís some disagreement on what pattern of material was used in 66. Several of the companies claim it was Tiered and others claim basket weave. My car (April 66 Fremont) definitely was built with Tiered, but the pattern is slightly different from the tiered offered by the suppliers today. Maybe it varied by plant, time frame, etc., but I donít know for sure. For me, either fabric type is fine as long as itís fawn colored.
My car is 4th week of April (04D trim tag), Fremont-built... It has "Tiered" pattern. (had, as I removed it a few months ago).

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in