1967 chevelle seats - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

1Likes
  • 1 Post By nashville beth

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 8:15 PM Thread Starter

1967 chevelle seats

Recently purchased a 1967 chevelle as my first "build rebuild." The interior is basically gutted and has original bench seats. I'm considering going to bucket seats but not 100% on what I want. What is everyone's opinion on buckets vs bench and if I were to go bucket, what would be my best choice? Like I said this is my first so everything I'm doing I'm learning along the way so figured I could get some input! Thanks
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 8:35 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Re: 1967 chevelle seats

Boy, that's like asking "blond or redhead" because you've got both at your front door and can't make up your mind who to invite in....yeah I know, "both" would be the obvious choice. But since you can't have both, YOU, and only you can make that decision. I personally like both, but each has their place. Bench with a 4speed is very mean and fun, while a set of buckets and floor shifter/console is very attractive and just classes up the insides. There's always the option of buckets with a 4 speed/no console which I've got in my '66 (came factory that way). All have their own flavor and you really can't go wrong in your decision. The buckets do offer a little more stability around the corners, a little more comfort on long trips and I believe you sit a tad lower in the car than a bench. The bench offers the option of 3 up front or closer riding positions which you just can't get in today's cars. If you're anything like me, I couldn't make that call, so I just put whatever the trim tag says back in there.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 9:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Riddle View Post
Recently purchased a 1967 chevelle as my first "build rebuild." The interior is basically gutted and has original bench seats. I'm considering going to bucket seats but not 100% on what I want. What is everyone's opinion on buckets vs bench and if I were to go bucket, what would be my best choice? Like I said this is my first so everything I'm doing I'm learning along the way so figured I could get some input! Thanks
Eric
The 67 Chevelle stock bucket seats were some of the best ever IMHO.

If you put the car back with bucket seats and console it will be worth more.

Don't mess with one of the best looking interiors Chevy ever made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS interior.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	593860  
RAIDER SS likes this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, 12 bolt, Marina Blue with black interior

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input 🤙 what sites or what not will be my best option to choose from??
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 1:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Thanks for the input 🤙 what sites or what not will be my best option to choose from??
How "correct" do you want to be?

Personally, I like the factory bucket seats.

If you like "stock"
67 and 68 seats are similar structurally, so with '67 upholstery, most or all people won't know if they are correct or not... '68 uses plastic panels while 67 uses metal, but visually the same... 69-72 buckets have a different back release button location, but otherwise, very similar once you use '67 upholstery.

If you don't care about a "locking" seat back, you can also use '66 seats, or even use 69-72 and use '68 repro plastic panels with release buttons (non-functional) after disabling the seat back lock mechanism...

While the floor tracks differ slightly, they are shared with other 66-72 A-bodies, also available repro.

66-72 Impala and other fullsize (Toronado, Riviera, Grand prix, Bonneville, etc), Nova and siblings also use the same basic bucket seats, except you will need "Chevelle" A-body floor mount tracks...

Lots of other choices like pro car, or other OEM buckets...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 7:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

If your not worried about being factory correct and don't want to spend$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for original "67" seats,the Procar lowback buckets worked great in my "66",the upholstery pattern was pretty simular to the original also. I purchased a set of "66" medallians which really topped them off nice,the mounting brackets fit nicelyand the seats have some adjustability along with reclining backs and I think they are pretty comfortable.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 7:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

67 did have head rests as an option so that's something to think about if you go original, TMI sells some really nice seats but they look more custom than stock

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 1:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
First you need to decide what direction you want to go.

Bench (you have it)
Buckets (original)
Buckets (aftermarket but look original)
Buckets (aftermarket or from a donor modern vehicle and don't care if they look original)

Once you decide that you can move ahead with options.

If you opt for factory buckets, you will need to find a set of seat cores-
local Craigslist is likely your best source as shipping 2 50lb seats gets expensive quick.
List your location on your profile here... maybe a member reading this right now has a set of seat cores that would work for you....

I would highly recommend trying to find the nicest and most complete set of seats you can, regardless of the model year covers that are on them, then change those out for 67 covers.
As others have mentioned 67s are a one year only seat with metal sides and backs and side release button... however 68s are closely matched, same side release button but has plastic sides and backs.... But if you don't care about the side release button than ANY strato bucket from 66-72 the covers will interchange and can be made to look like 67 chevelle seats.

Remember the covers hide the condition of the springs and frames, which after 50+ years can be in really bad shape (but they are not always) so get photos of the underside and if possible inside the seat back panels. if someone says they have redone the seats, see if they have photos of that process that show the springs and guts.

Decide if you are going to attempt to do the recover work yourself or if you are going to pay a shop. Recovering seats is not rocket science, if you tend to be a DIYer i would highly recommend you try it yourself. If its not your thing, then call around and find a shop that is comfortable with vinatge seats.

There are multiple manufacturers reproduction covers for chevelles. Prices are not all the same and the quality is not all the same- however for a 67 the cheapest ones (PUI) are actually pretty good. (that does not hold true for each model years design)

There are multiple manufacturers of seat buns for chevelles. Prices are not all the same and the quality is not all the same. The one you want is made in the USA by a company called "American Cushion Industries" or "ACI" these are quite a bit more $$ than the others, but they are much much better.

I would not recommend buying complete reproduction seats, price is one reason, and the 2nd is the selection of the parts within is left to the company assembling them and not you.

if you opt for aftermarket "stock appearing" seats... there is another thread going on right now (i'll try and find it and link it) discussing TMI Pro-Series aftermarket seats.
These are a modern reclining seat, that has stock-ish seat covers on them, so they will blend in perfectly with your factory back seat cover and door panels.

Another option in that same line is the Touring II seats sold by classic industries. These are procar Rally aftermarket seats, with custom covers by classic industries to look like factory covers for your model year and match the door panels & rear seat.

So there are LOTS of options.

Ask lots of specific questions here before you drop $$ ordering stuff.
There are many folks with lots of experience restoring interiors here that are happy to help, and try to help you avoid some of the mistakes that others have made!

Ben R.

-

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 1:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I REALLY want buckets, but I want them for the side effects. I want to put in a cool console and floor shifter. The problem I have is spending the money to get something that I like the look of as much as my bench. Plus with the El Camino being the sport model of the Chevelle line like the Corvette (not a family car with a back seat ), the bench comes in handy for taking an extra person for a ride.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 4:05 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Lots of good suggestions here. Another option not mentioned is find a set of buckets you like that will fit in your 67 that you find comfortable. Then take them to an upholstery shop and have a set of covers made that use the 67 Chevelle seat pattern. The advantage is you can find a set of buckets that you like. Maybe late model Camaro, Jaguar. BMW, Cadillac, just about anything that would fit and they will most likely be considerably cheaper than 67 or 68 Chevelle bucket seats. Most upgrade model cars have upgrade seats so consider Lexus instead of Corolla. Most Chevelle bucket cores need repairs and covers/ foam anyway. If you go the 67 or 68 Chevelle bucket seat route you could easily have $1.5 K into a set by the time you are ready to install them. As far as a console I would go with a 67 Chevelle console but get the best one you can find.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 5:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Quote:
Eric
Where are you located ? There's a set of 67 seats that need recovering near me for $750.

Most I've seen run $500 to $750.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, 12 bolt, Marina Blue with black interior
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old May 18th, 19, 1:43 PM Thread Starter

I am in libby montana... so a little different for me me with parts and what not haha. But we have a sweet car show called hot August night! Everyone come on up!! Haha it's in August
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 19, 12:18 AM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

Why not a stratobench seat? Basically a bench seat bottom with two bucket seat backs and a fold down armrest. My 66 had a bench, went to factory buckets, didn't like them soon put a bench back in. Jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 19, 2:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Why not a stratobench seat? Basically a bench seat bottom with two bucket seat backs and a fold down armrest.
One near me, only asking $265, ad's been up for a few weeks... I thought about it, but realized I'd never use it... And then I'd be posting it in that other thread that Jim Mac started...

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/pt...883482421.html

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 19, 2:54 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Why not a stratobench seat? Basically a bench seat bottom with two bucket seat backs and a fold down armrest. My 66 had a bench, went to factory buckets, didn't like them soon put a bench back in. Jim
I think that would be a perfect seat for an ElCo. Have never really looked but have never seen covers for those. Might have to be custom made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in