Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 2:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage
Industrial sewing machine

I've been casually looking for an "affordable" sewing machine for a long time that I could goof around & learn upholstery with.... With our house move last year I finally have enough work space for one, and I'd like to go beyond just installing repop covers & repairing springs.

Apparently the moons aligned and I stumbled across a CL ad for a Consew 224 & table for $200 a couple weeks ago... Couldn't pass it up. Now I have to figure out how to use it! LOL

Anyway... thought I'd share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190503_171052.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	593186  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 2:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Re: Industrial sewing machine

Very nice. Hope you can figure it out, or find someone that can help.
RAMBO likes this.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 9:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

I've never been intimidated by anything mechanical, but damned if I can figure out how to string one of those contraptions up. The Mrs. makes it look easy, but I always end up tangled in knots.
RAMBO likes this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 11:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Be careful that Will sew through your fingers..
Looks like it doesn't have a reverse, you will eventually want that.
Find a good Sewing machine repairman, You may need to have the timing checked if it skips stitches.
RAMBO likes this.

Auto Upholstery Trimmer since 1977
Palo Alto Upholstery 650 326 6414
1967 Chevelle Super Sport 4sp.
1953 Chevy Bel Air 4 door.
1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr Hard Top.
1968 Chevy C20 CST Longbed.
1967 Malibu 396 Powerglide.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old May 8th, 19, 12:41 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Ben that is a great score. Several years ago I had a Pfaff from the 1960's. They are also great machines. At the time I knew all about it, setting timing,etc. Just didn't use it a lot so I sold it. The sky is the limit as far as acquiring skills. Would be great if you could hang out with someone that could show you the ropes.
Also I thought this was a good book on the subject. I was able to get it at the library.

RAMBO likes this.

Last edited by blm; May 8th, 19 at 12:59 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old May 9th, 19, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Thanks guys- I've gotten several very explicit warnings and horror storys about the fingers from upholstery friends, so I'm hoping I can avoid a direct learning experience on that subject.

Thanks to the internet I got it all oiled back up and strung- have begun doing some test stiches on junk material to practice.

Its very hard to control the speed, I may see if i can adjust the pedal to limit the WOT. When I can manage to maintain a reasonable speed I have done well- but when it goes too fast suddenly, it breaks the thread.

Anyway, fun playing and learning something new.
68-13427 likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 3:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rod

I've been curious how the pros do it for a long time and had thought about trying to find a machine, also. I've thumbed through the only 2 or 3 books available, including the one posted above. Are there any decent forums catering to tips and tricks on sewing automotive upholstery?
RAMBO likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 6:30 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

There is a website/ forum for automotive upholstery pros. It is called " The Hog Ring". But they are kind of picky about who can post there. Supposed to be for professionals only. I used to visit often and even posted some. At one point they blocked me as they assumed I was not a professional. I was able to talk myself back on but eventually I stopped visiting the site. Havent really been on it for a few years. But it is probably the best site for trimmers.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 7:41 PM
Senior Tech Team

Wish I would have bought my grandparents Singer after they retired from auto upholstery.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 10:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Nice find. Over on Garage Journal they don't call them sewing machines, they are thread inserters. I don't think I've ever heard the term WOT in reference to a sewing...er..thread inseter. Nicely done!

Zeke

67 Chevelle
64 Chevelle
90 Corvette ZR1
TC# 3094 ACES# 7297
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke67 View Post
... I don't think I've ever heard the term WOT in reference to a sewing...er..thread inseter. Nicely done!
I am going to look for one of those big chrome foot accelerator pedals at the big swapmeet this weekend and mount it to the machines pedal.
Gotta be hot rodded ya know!
Rmchevelle likes this.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 1:11 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

I have nearly the same machine. A Singer 111w150 with no reverse.
Using a bungy cord pulling up on the foot pedal helped me start slower with some
extra control and it also helps stop in a hurry. Pushing down on the pedal is a bit
harder...I was able to find a sweet spot with just the right pressure on the pedal
AND starting it by hand with the wheel got it going at a speed that was tolerable.

Kind of hard for me to learn when the machine wants to do 120mph as soon as
I would push on the peddle. Your machine looks very clean for its age...nice find!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 1:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
There is a website/ forum for automotive upholstery pros. It is called " The Hog Ring". But they are kind of picky about who can post there. Supposed to be for professionals only. I used to visit often and even posted some. At one point they blocked me as they assumed I was not a professional. I was able to talk myself back on but eventually I stopped visiting the site. Havent really been on it for a few years. But it is probably the best site for trimmers.
That's too bad! There seems to be a forum for most everything else. I bet there are a lot of non-"professionals" out there who could share some great info.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 9:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO View Post
I've been casually looking for an "affordable" sewing machine for a long time that I could goof around & learn upholstery with.... With our house move last year I finally have enough work space for one, and I'd like to go beyond just installing repop covers & repairing springs.

Apparently the moons aligned and I stumbled across a CL ad for a Consew 224 & table for $200 a couple weeks ago... Couldn't pass it up. Now I have to figure out how to use it! LOL

Anyway... thought I'd share.
Great score..... I usually see them on eBay and CL for around $1,000 used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO View Post

Its very hard to control the speed, I may see if i can adjust the pedal to limit the WOT. When I can manage to maintain a reasonable speed I have done well- but when it goes too fast suddenly, it breaks the thread.
My machine is a Consew 206RB. Very similar to yours.

Tricks I've learned for controlling speed: I have a wooden table in front of the sewing table. The edge of that table lines up approximately straight out from the base plate of the sewing machine. When I start a line of sewing, I brace my left knee against the wood table leg and just use very slight pressure on the pedal with my left foot. You can control your speed easier if your left leg is braced against something solid. Also as mentioned, slowly spin the belt pulley with your right hand just to get it started. You can brake the pulley too with your right hand if it's stitching too fast. It also helps to push the needle down into your fabric by hand first (with the belt pulley), so that when you start with the foot pedal, the needle will be on the up stroke. You're not trying start the needle down through all the layers of fabric, which takes more pressure to get started.

I'm teaching my grandson sewing techniques right now. He is starting his own upholstery shop. After watching me, he asked how I can go so slow, one stitch at a time, especially on tight curves. I showed him the above tricks, and it works for him. As with anything, it takes a LOT of practice.

Just the opposite of drag racing, you want to go as slow as possible when sewing. Hope this helps!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sewing tables.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	593776  
RAMBO likes this.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by augy View Post
Great score..... I usually see them on eBay and CL for around $1,000 used.

My machine is a Consew 206RB. Very similar to yours.

Tricks I've learned for controlling speed: I have a wooden table in front of the sewing table. The edge of that table lines up approximately straight out from the base plate of the sewing machine. When I start a line of sewing, I brace my left knee against the wood table leg and just use very slight pressure on the pedal with my left foot. You can control your speed easier if your left leg is braced against something solid. Also as mentioned, slowly spin the belt pulley with your right hand just to get it started. You can brake the pulley too with your right hand if it's stitching too fast. It also helps to push the needle down into your fabric by hand first (with the belt pulley), so that when you start with the foot pedal, the needle will be on the up stroke. You're not trying start the needle down through all the layers of fabric, which takes more pressure to get started.

I'm teaching my grandson sewing techniques right now. He is starting his own upholstery shop. After watching me, he asked how I can go so slow, one stitch at a time, especially on tight curves. I showed him the above tricks, and it works for him. As with anything, it takes a LOT of practice.

Just the opposite of drag racing, you want to go as slow as possible when sewing. Hope this helps!

Yeah I knew it was a screaming deal when I first saw the listing, couldn't believe that it was still for sale a week later with people flaking out... it came with a pile of different walking feet and other parts, have yet to explore what each one of them is for.

I've been practicing without any thread in the machine to get it to go as slow and control my foot. Very touchy, but i'm getting better. I think the thread that i'm using (was in the tables drawer with misc other supplies) may also be too thin (maybe just meant for bobbin thread and not top thread?) and that may be part of why it would break- but most likely just related to the speed when it would go too fast.

There is a furniture store that i pass on my way too and from work and i see 'returned' couches out back of the store all the time with various damage, may go ask if i can "salvage" leather off them to practice with if they are stacked up behind the store. pretty sure they just go do the dump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in