1970 SS Dash Install - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 8:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

1970 SS Dash Install

I am getting ready to reinstall my dash and not looking forward to it. It's the original so I know it's brittle and I really don't want to crack it. I have 2 questions. I've seen the dash installation guide on the SS396.com site.

1. If I bolt the dash back into the firewall, will I be able to reach behind it (no dash pad or windshield) to reconnect everything?

2. I read somewhere that someone screwed threaded rod into the upper 2 outboard dash mounting holes. Then they slid the dash over the threaded rod but not all the way against the firewall. I guess this allowed a little room to work behind the dash. The center of the dash would need to be supported but I would still be scared I would damage it. Is this a good idea?

I welcome any other ideas or advice. BTW it is a non AC car if that matters and the interior is gutted right now.

Thx in advance.

Chris

1970 SS396 Chevelle
468 ci, TH 400, 3:73 posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 9:06 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Re: 1970 SS Dash Install

Hello,

It helped me to have the seats out when man-handling the old sweep style and new SS dash on my 70 El Camino. Use two people if you are worried but after I did the installation the first time, it was easy for me alone after that. My dashboards have been in and out at least half a dozen times.

A fellow by the name of "Chris Craft" on You Tube has an excellent video about removal and installation of Chevelle SS dashboards. Your anxiety will be greatly relieved after watching his dash video.

Yes, you can reach things from the top and bottom of your dashboard - very easy with the seats out. Also very easy with your windshield out. My glass was also out but is installed now and this made it only somewhat harder but not hard.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 10:44 PM
Team Member
Dave

I used the all thread rod in the outer holes as you have described, and had plenty of room to hang it and work. Once everything was installed, I just pushed it all back and fastened the rest of the bolts.

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 19, 11:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Connect all of your dash harness to the gauges , headlight switch, wiper switch and install as a sub-assembly. I just did this in my '68 and it made it easier than laying on my back to install wires after dash is in. I don"t have any experience with the '70 model , so this might not work for you. Terry
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 19, 11:26 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS468 View Post
I am getting ready to reinstall my dash and not looking forward to it. It's the original so I know it's brittle and I really don't want to crack it. I have 2 questions. I've seen the dash installation guide on the SS396.com site.

1. If I bolt the dash back into the firewall, will I be able to reach behind it (no dash pad or windshield) to reconnect everything?

2. I read somewhere that someone screwed threaded rod into the upper 2 outboard dash mounting holes. Then they slid the dash over the threaded rod but not all the way against the firewall. I guess this allowed a little room to work behind the dash. The center of the dash would need to be supported but I would still be scared I would damage it. Is this a good idea?

I welcome any other ideas or advice. BTW it is a non AC car if that matters and the interior is gutted right now.

Thx in advance.
Make a support that goes from one of the braces on the dash down to the floor. There is a brace near the ash tray you can attach your support to that brace. To paraphrase Jack Nicholson's rant in "A few good men" : "You WANT that brace there you NEED that brace there because........". The weakest point in the dash is the area down there near the ash tray. If / when you put those screws into the dash attachment points to support the plastic dash the plastic dash itself kinda wants to bend around the area of the ashtray. I used the support idea when I was doing what you are planning. Not 100% sure it was necessary but a piece of angle iron from The Depot was cheap insurance IMHO.
SSJohn likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 19, 4:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman View Post

Make a support that goes from one of the braces on the dash down to the floor. There is a brace near the ash tray you can attach your support to that brace. To paraphrase Jack Nicholson's rant in "A few good men" : "You WANT that brace there you NEED that brace there because........". The weakest point in the dash is the area down there near the ash tray. If / when you put those screws into the dash attachment points to support the plastic dash the plastic dash itself kinda wants to bend around the area of the ashtray. I used the support idea when I was doing what you are planning. Not 100% sure it was necessary but a piece of angle iron from The Depot was cheap insurance IMHO.
Any pics of that brace?

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...)
'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 19, 5:32 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72soft-top View Post
Any pics of that brace?
Nope no PICs. Don't over think this. A simple straight piece of angle iron running from the floor up to the metal brace that is located on, and permanently attached ,to theback of the dash. Might have to drill a hole in the factory brace. The one I made came down to the floor just to the right(passengers side) of the tunnel. Think of it as a "crutch" that supports the dash and gives it mid span support so it doesn't hang suspended only at the farthest left and right sides of the dash.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 1:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Thx for the help and thx Rick for the ChrisCraft video suggestion. I was getting ready to get ahead of myself. I don't have the pedals back in or the firewall insulation. I guess I'll be ordering that today. Any suggestions? I like the idea of using something precut that may fit better.

Thx.

Chris

1970 SS396 Chevelle
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 2:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

I just use a couple of old couch cushions over the transmission hump to support the center of the dash.
70SSTHUMPER and OO52 like this.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 9:29 AM
Team Member
David

Garage

Definitively use the threaded rod to hang the dash from, SO much easier. I used a scissors jack sitting on the trans hump with a rag to cushion between the dash and the jack. Was real easy to adjust to the exact amount of height (support) needed for the middle of the dash.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Thx David.

Has anybody used the Flatline Barrier brand sound/heat barrier?

Chris

1970 SS396 Chevelle
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 19, 3:35 PM
Tech Team
Deon

Garage

When I did the dash in my 72 I used a bungie cord on the bracket by the AC up to the hole for the rear view mirror. Held the center fine and allowed me to move it around to connect items. I used 5 or 6" inch carriage bolts from Lowes on the outers to allow it to slide back and fourth as needed.

72 Chevelle, 454, TH400, 3:73's
My Website
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 5:38 PM
Team Member
David

Garage

I used Second Skin, a thin peel and stick sound dampener, to the entire cowl area and the sidewalls. On top of that I applied a foil faced felt, about 1/2" thick that is stocked by a local automotive store. In the photo I'm using scraps of paper to make a template so I can cut a single piece of the felt with the properly spaced cut-outs or slits. I had purchased a barrier kit from OPGI for the cowl and firewall which was much flimsier and returned them. Fortunately my existing (probably original) firewall insulation was complete and in good shape as it is twice as heavy as the OPGI piece was.

I would re-emphasize that using threaded rod is much better than using carriage bolts because the rod is already in place as you and a friend walk the dash back into the car and hang the dash instead of holding the dash, picking up a carriage bolt in one hand and lining it up with the dash carrier holes and then with the cowl brackets and get the bolt threaded into the cowl.

The green steering column is because I'm changing out my interior from black and saddle to green and ivory. Since the dash was already coming out for other reasons I used the opportunity to start the color change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190402_113109.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	591820  
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 19, 10:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS468 View Post
Thx David.

Has anybody used the Flatline Barrier brand sound/heat barrier?
I just finished installing Fatmat yesterday. Was pretty easy to work with. I purchased 75 sq ft on eBay of 80mil thickness for $150.

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...)
'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 19, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Thx for the help. From what I've read, nobody makes an underdash insulation pad that fits good. I don't know why that was even installed from the factory when you have the firewall insulated from the engine bay but I guess every little bit helps.

Can someone recommend a vendor that they used for the underdash and firewall jute style insulation? Should the retaining "plugs" be plastic or rubber?

I also plan on using a foil backed sound dampener. Does this go on the sheet metal then the jute on top of that?

Thx.

Chris

1970 SS396 Chevelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in