68 to 69 Gauge cluster swap issues? - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 19, 3:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

68 to 69 Gauge cluster swap issues?

OK project goal, swap 68 dash/gauge cluster with vintage air A/C (I believe that the car was originally non A/C.) to 69. Along with this project I am also going to add the Astro Air Vents and going to a tilt column, and while everything is apart going to update the wiring and stereo.

Has anyone done this?
It has been indicated that it is a challenge, so I am wondering what the issues are?
Any tips or tricks?

Parts I have on hand are.
Tilt Column with ignition.

Parts I am about to order (by the end of the week.)
69 gauge bezel with A/C and astro air vent cutout.
Wiper switch
Dakota Digital gauges
Center vents
Astro air Vents driver and passenger (have a template from Gene for the passenger side.)

Wants that I am going to order or am thinking about
New Radio (Not because I really need it but I want more features.)
69 HVAC controls with the Fan switch (not sure if this will work with the vintage air HVAC.)

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 19, 4:10 PM
Tech Team

Re: 68 to 69 Gauge cluster swap issues?

I am currently installing a Vintage Air system in my 69 so I can tell you that the Sure Fit series comes with its own control panel that eliminates the cables. So you won't need the old one anyway. Funny thing is I'm also doing the Dakota Digital gauges at the same time. If your putting a 69 dash carrier in you won't need the center vents because the sure fit come with lower a/c vents, and you probably should get the system for cars "without factory air". I don't think you can get Astro vents and A/C vents in the same carrier. Some please jump in here if that is not correct.
So far, no surprises, both are very well engineered and it's going together as planned.
If you need help shoot me a PM

Shaun.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 19, 6:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRSPT69 View Post
I am currently installing a Vintage Air system in my 69 so I can tell you that the Sure Fit series comes with its own control panel that eliminates the cables. So you won't need the old one anyway. Funny thing is I'm also doing the Dakota Digital gauges at the same time. If your putting a 69 dash carrier in you won't need the center vents because the sure fit come with lower a/c vents, and you probably should get the system for cars "without factory air". I don't think you can get Astro vents and A/C vents in the same carrier. Some please jump in here if that is not correct.
So far, no surprises, both are very well engineered and it's going together as planned.
If you need help shoot me a PM

Shaun.
One of the previous owners installed the Vintage air system I have not taken the dash off yet but the controls seem cable driven to me. and in the engine bay the valve that lets coolant into the heater core has a cable on it not sure if its connected to an actuator though. I would also guess that it is about 10 years old.

As for the vents I have the in my opinion ugly square vents currently attached under my dash and the center vent seem like its bulging out I would like a more stock/clean appearance. and depending on how the HVAC box routs the air I think AC vent and Heat should all come out of the same vents and then you choose feet, face and such. so to me it seems like as long as the hose fits on the back of the vent carrier it shouldn't be a problem. but I could be wrong I will find out though.

Checking dates for things and its looking like the soonest the wiring harness will be in stock is 4-19 and the gauges is like some time in June. I guess its going to be hurry up and wait time soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle Interior 1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	590708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle Interior 4.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	590710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle Interior 3.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	590712  

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 2:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkerpa3466 View Post
OK project goal, swap 68 dash/gauge cluster with vintage air A/C (I believe that the car was originally non A/C.) to 69. Along with this project I am also going to add the Astro Air Vents and going to a tilt column, and while everything is apart going to update the wiring and stereo.

Has anyone done this?
It has been indicated that it is a challenge, so I am wondering what the issues are?
Any tips or tricks?

Parts I have on hand are.
Tilt Column with ignition.

Parts I am about to order (by the end of the week.)
69 gauge bezel with A/C and astro air vent cutout.
Wiper switch
Dakota Digital gauges
Center vents
Astro air Vents driver and passenger (have a template from Gene for the passenger side.)

Wants that I am going to order or am thinking about
New Radio (Not because I really need it but I want more features.)
69 HVAC controls with the Fan switch (not sure if this will work with the vintage air HVAC.)

Thank you
OK, I am sure you know this, but I will say it. The 68 has the ignition switch in the dash, 69 in the column. Is your tilt column from a 69-72? I think that is what you have indicated.
Your vintage air is probably in the Gen II era, so I think those are still cable controlled. You should be able to get the control switches from Vintage Air or secondary market.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer
'68 Malibu GM 383 700R4
This is how we roll:
It's still a Family affair!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 6:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by red68chevL View Post
OK, I am sure you know this, but I will say it. The 68 has the ignition switch in the dash, 69 in the column. Is your tilt column from a 69-72? I think that is what you have indicated.
Your vintage air is probably in the Gen II era, so I think those are still cable controlled. You should be able to get the control switches from Vintage Air or secondary market.
yup ignition on the column.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 7:36 PM
Bud

For what it is worth...…….I started swapping the IP on my 69SS and decided it wasn't worth it! I had everything loose except the brace under the steering column. When I dropped it down, all the light sockets popped out of the sockets and I still don't have them back in the right places. So, make sure that you tape and label each one individually as you carefully take them out! And remove the brace first. Lessons learned!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 7:28 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye1!! View Post
For what it is worth...…….I started swapping the IP on my 69SS and decided it wasn't worth it! I had everything loose except the brace under the steering column. When I dropped it down, all the light sockets popped out of the sockets and I still don't have them back in the right places. So, make sure that you tape and label each one individually as you carefully take them out! And remove the brace first. Lessons learned!
Thanks for the tip! and yes even thought I am swapping out all the wires/harnesses in the car I plan on labeling everything then taking a crap load of pics at each step before I pull the old harness out just in case I need to compare something to the new harness.

Well some parts are on the way. ordered the harness, gauge bezel, wiper switch, radio and some random stuff for the trunk. Also ordered kick panels and the gauges but they are at a 2 to 4 week back order.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 7:39 AM
Tech Team
Bob

Garage

good luck trying to get the passenger side kick panel off with the AC box installed. You may find it necessary to remove the AC box to make that happen. Don't ask me how I know that.

55 Chevy Resto Mod - Sold
99 Corvette - Sold
68 El Camino - L79 Tribute
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 10:53 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Hope you do a picture series of the work.
I want to see how a 69 cluster is going to fit a 68 dash.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 3:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinPA View Post
good luck trying to get the passenger side kick panel off with the AC box installed. You may find it necessary to remove the AC box to make that happen. Don't ask me how I know that.
I have not looked at it up close yet but it doesn't seem like its going to be an issue. I also have a vintage air system not factory so? but I will take a closer look at it this weekend thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Hope you do a picture series of the work.
I want to see how a 69 cluster is going to fit a 68 dash.
Are you aware of any major differences in the overall shape for the gauge bezel in the sheet metal of the dash? seems like I should just be able to swap it out but I have not pulled the 68's out yet and the 69's is on its way so I cant compare them yet. Yes there will be tons of pics and video I have a small youtube channel, like literally small the last I looked I had 19 subscribers and I pretty sure that is just my friends. but I will be posting this up when I start doing it as well as on Instagram. Ill share the channels name if your interested no Chevelle vids yet though.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 19, 8:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinPA View Post
Still not 100% but it looks like it shouldn't be a problem for me fingers crossed, but it does look like I have some surface rust to take care of while I have everything apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190406_140107.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	591016   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190406_140052.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	591018   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190406_140033.jpg
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	591020   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190406_140120.jpg
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	591022  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in