Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage
Mold your own carpets?

I have a larger than stock transmission tunnel in my 1966 Chevelle and the available stock molded carpet sets donít quite reach the door sill plates.
Has anyone ever bought carpet by the roll and molded their own carpet to the floor? I want to use the stock loop style carpet. I know I could make it in sections and have the edges bound but that wonít look stock.
Any tricks?
Thanks

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 1:33 PM
Tech Team
Eddie

Garage
Re: Mold your own carpets?

I'm not sure if it's same for all years, my ACC carpet for floor shifter (1970) has larger than usual transmission tunnel molded and few inches one each side that needed to be trimmed. It kind of pissed me off cause the tunnel is way too big and it's a crappy fit.

If you haven't tried it yet, you could order from RockAuto and return if it doesn't fit.
dell72 likes this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 2:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage
I already bought carpet from ACC and installed it. I cut it around the shifter etc so I can’t return it. I’ve also sent an email direct to ACC asking if there is anyway to order a carpet kit that is 1-3” wider per side.
But if they can’t do it I’m going to have to figure out something,
Jeff65SS likes this.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 3:15 PM
Tech Team
Eddie

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_LS1 View Post
I already bought carpet from ACC and installed it. I cut it around the shifter etc so I canít return it. Iíve also sent an email direct to ACC asking if there is anyway to order a carpet kit that is 1-3Ē wider per side.
But if they canít do it Iím going to have to figure out something,
Maybe try a carpet out of a full size like an Impala. I could measure my 67 Impala overall width door sill to door sill for you when I get home. That carpet was also wider when I bought it and I trimmed it to fit. I'm sure it's wider than a Chevelle or at least it feels like it is.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 19, 3:35 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie K View Post
I'm not sure if it's same for all years, my ACC carpet for floor shifter (1970) has larger than usual transmission tunnel molded and few inches one each side that needed to be trimmed. It kind of pissed me off cause the tunnel is way too big and it's a crappy fit.

If you haven't tried it yet, you could order from RockAuto and return if it doesn't fit.
They sent me carpet for my 69 T-400 but it for a car with the tall floor shift hump and it was molded way too tall at the hump.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 19, 8:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_LS1 View Post
I already bought carpet from ACC and installed it. I cut it around the shifter etc so I canít return it. Iíve also sent an email direct to ACC asking if there is anyway to order a carpet kit that is 1-3Ē wider per side.
But if they canít do it Iím going to have to figure out something,
I'm in the process of finishing a LS T56 install into my 65. I bought the trans as a kit from Modern Driveline. In their instructions they mention that ACC will make you a carpet 5-6" wider to accommodate a larger tunnel. I haven't bought one yet but plan to very soon.

Will be interesting to hear what ACC tells you.

Jeff Evans
65 Chevelle, LS3/T56 transplant in progress
67 Chevelle, ZZ502, AFR 305, Straub Solid Roller, 400 Turbo, Moser Rear 3.42 gear
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 19, 9:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Dennis: All factory carpet for '64-72 Chevelles is 2-piece (front and rear) loop carpet, and there are bound edges that run side-to-side under the front seat(s). Front piece overlaps the rear piece. Both pieces extend under the sill plates. Most aftermarket molded carpet is one piece, too stiff, and fits like crap. Then add in a modified transmission tunnel and you have nothing but problems. That's why we NEVER use it here in the upholstery shop.

We ALWAYS cut-and-sew our own carpet with bound edges exactly like the factory did it. Even with a modified transmission tunnel, it fits like a glove. We've been doing this for over 40 years, and my advice is to find a good auto upholstery shop in your area and have the carpet custom cut, sewn, and fitted to your car.
David Bates likes this.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 19, 9:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff65SS View Post

Will be interesting to hear what ACC tells you.
Yup.....

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 19, 10:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by augy View Post
We ALWAYS cut-and-sew our own carpet with bound edges exactly like the factory did it. Even with a modified transmission tunnel, it fits like a glove. We've been doing this for over 40 years, and my advice is to find a good auto upholstery shop in your area and have the carpet custom cut, sewn, and fitted to your car.
Are you starting with "Un-molded" carpet and molding the contours yourself? Or do you cut sections that conform to floor contours and then seam them together?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 19, 12:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

We start with a roll of 36 oz loop (or short cut-pile if that's what the customer wants) carpet, 40" wide. There are no pre-molded sections involved. It's all one piece all the way across. One for the front and one for the rear. Slices here and there for all the different contours in the floor, depending on the vehicle. All raw edges get carpet binding sewn on, except where it goes under the sill plates.

Dynamat-type products are installed first over bare floors. Then jute carpet padding, cut in the same manner as the carpet. Holes for shifters, seat mounts, seat belts, and pedals are opened up while the first 2 layers are being installed. Same holes are then covered up with carpet, then located after ALL the carpet is glued down. No mistakes that way.
caminonut likes this.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 19, 12:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

Great work but, man, that can't be easy
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 19, 3:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Did you try both automatic and manual carpets?

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 19, 5:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

We had a customer that Molded Her own carpet, Her kid spilled Milk and juice all over the rear carpet and it was Moldy in just a few days......... Yuck Yuck Yuck
augy likes this.

Auto Upholstery Trimmer since 1977
Palo Alto Upholstery 650 326 6414
1967 Chevelle Super Sport 4sp.
1953 Chevy Bel Air 4 door.
1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr Hard Top.
1968 Chevy C20 CST Longbed.
1967 Malibu 396 Powerglide.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 4:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage
EddieK, the larger car idea may work. Can you post some basic dimensions to see if it’s in the ball park?
Augy, there is a really good upholstery shop in town but they are expensive. That would definitely be my fall back.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 7:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Donald

What trans r you using? Did u fab your own trans tunnel? Looking to replace Muncie with 6 speed tremec using supplied tunnel part and wandering Carpet fit will be an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in