5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 9:41 AM
Tech Team
Stan

Re: Mold your own carpets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_LS1 View Post
I have a larger than stock transmission tunnel in my 1966 Chevelle and the available stock molded carpet sets donít quite reach the door sill plates.
Has anyone ever bought carpet by the roll and molded their own carpet to the floor? I want to use the stock loop style carpet. I know I could make it in sections and have the edges bound but that wonít look stock.
Any tricks?
Thanks
The molding process involves heating flat carpet and pressing it in a mold. Some aftermarket sets fit better than others, likely because of the accuracy of the molds. I've experimented with flat carpet stock, heating the hell out of it with a heat gun, then laying it into a difficult area like the corner under the gas pedal then pressure forming with a sandbag. Sorta worked, but I have no idea how you could simultaneously heat and bag a large area like the toeboards, footwells and trans hump before the carpet cooled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 9:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream66 View Post
Great work but, man, that can't be easy
No, but we've done it a few hundred times, so we're getting better at it.....

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 19, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

Donald d. Locklear, Iím running a 6L50e transmission and itís giagantic. I did make my own transmission tunnel. And driveshaft tunnel too since the transmission output flange is so high up.
I did talk to a local upholstery shop and they said there were a couple solutions. First would be to use carpet by the yard to cover the trans tunnel and then split the ACC carpet I already bought in the middle, installing it from the door sills in. The transtunnel carpet would go over the ACC carpet on the sides of the tunnel hiding the seam somewhat. The console will help too.
Second was he said ACC WILL sell him wider cuts of molded carpet (ACC has still not responded to my info request for the same thing).
Iíve attached a pic of how much the carpet misses by. Itís actually worst than this pic shows because itís not sitting down on the floor in the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2DBF90C3-7C50-4DE7-941E-0B367470AF87.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	590414  

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 19, 11:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Dennis,
You can buy UNbacked Ozite carpet that you can stretch and form into shape without a heat molding process.
We use it in the Aircraft Industry.

It will need to be glued to a Jute backing to hold its shape. Buy a yard of it and experiment, you will see its very easy to work with.

https://www.yourautotrim.com/80wideozite.html

Auto Upholstery Trimmer since 1977
Palo Alto Upholstery 650 326 6414
1967 Chevelle Super Sport 4sp.
1953 Chevy Bel Air 4 door.
1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr Hard Top.
1968 Chevy C20 CST Longbed.
1967 Malibu 396 Powerglide.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 19, 12:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

I'm not sure if it can be done successfully with "Loop" style carpet but I've seen residential and commercial carpet "seamed" with a heat activated backing tape.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 19, 9:39 AM
Tech Team
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream66 View Post
I'm not sure if it can be done successfully with "Loop" style carpet but I've seen residential and commercial carpet "seamed" with a heat activated backing tape.
Hot seam repair works fine on automotive loop carpet. I did a dummy when installing new carpet in my 59 Belair and cut the sills too short. Took the carpet and some scraps to a friend who's a carpet installer and he seamed on extra material and the repair was invisible.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 19, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

I want to stay with the loop because it looks ďcorrectĒ.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in