14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 19, 3:13 PM
Tech Team
Lou

Re: Instrument cluster restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bates View Post
Yes, they can. My 1965 bezel was a little over $400 to have it stripped, repaired as necessary, re-chromed and final detailed/painted. I have also had them take care of an instrument housing, lens, gauges and all AC ducts/vent balls etc.
Is the face of that Bezel painted satin gray like the interior sides or is that shadow ?

Lou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 19, 3:19 PM
Tech Team
Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopfjaeger View Post
Update, the Dynacorn cluster bezel is pure garbage! I was told they are pretty good but the one that was shipped would not fit without major grinding. So, Iím sending off my original to be vacuum chromed with my radio bezel and glove box bezel. After the $$ I spent on the cluster, I really canít cheap out now.

Once I figure out how to get my ignition switch removed, no key, Iíll be sending my dash strip out for vacuum chroming too.

Joe
Where will you send it after it's vacuum matalized for final painting ? Their going to metalize the whole thing.
I have one already metalized but don't know where to send it for final painting. Sorry, confused, I thought you had a 65 Bezel.

Lou
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 19, 7:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1943MB View Post
Is the face of that Bezel painted satin gray like the interior sides or is that shadow ?

Lou
It is painted satin. I had seven bezels (AC and non-AC) that I took to Instrument Specialties for evaluation. None of them were in horrible shape but the finish was badly faded/worn and some of the cluster mounting bosses were cracked. I had some photos of good original bezels which were used as a "best guess" for the paint color so I made that decision and Thomas @ Instrument Specialties restored them to my complete satisfaction. They may not be 100% accurate but I'm happy and the last thing I wanted was an all chrome bezel. A couple more pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1965Chevelle_Non-AC_Bezel.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	591150   Click image for larger version

Name:	1965Chevelle_wAC_Bezel.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	591152  
Proc likes this.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 19, 10:41 AM
Tech Team
Lou

Quote:
It is painted satin. I had seven bezels (AC and non-AC) that I took to Instrument Specialties for evaluation. None of them were in horrible shape but the finish was badly faded/worn and some of the cluster mounting bosses were cracked. I had some photos of good original bezels which were used as a "best guess" for the paint color so I made that decision and Thomas @ Instrument Specialties restored them to my complete satisfaction. They may not be 100% accurate but I'm happy and the last thing I wanted was an all chrome bezel. A couple more pics:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. It does look nice with the satin look.

Lou
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old May 13th, 19, 12:06 AM
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

David,

I have a 65 wagon with the original non a/c bezel. If I am not mistaken and I could be, I thought the bezels were painted argent silver? GM used that paint in everything as I recollect.
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old May 13th, 19, 1:57 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Update
I got around to pulling the guts out of my doors and as I was told, the door lock cylinders did have a code stamped on them. I took the code to a locksmith and $7 later, walked out with a key. It worked perfectly on the door but not the ignition switch, Iím guessing the ignition lock had been changed at some point. It took me 3 minutes to cut the bezel off the ignition switch with a dremel. This is exactly why I donít gamble!! At least I now have my dash stripped and I can get my plastic vacuum chromed.

I found a photo of the proper broadcast decal for my cluster too. Instrument Specialties claims they will manufacture my decal for free. Iím going to take them up on that offer.

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old May 13th, 19, 9:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetperf View Post
David,

I have a 65 wagon with the original non a/c bezel. If I am not mistaken and I could be, I thought the bezels were painted argent silver? GM used that paint in everything as I recollect.
Yes, that was my impression also and that's what I conveyed to Instrument Specialties. Lou (1943MB) made the reference to satin gray and I responded with just satin. Both PlastiKote and Eastwood have spray cans of their version of Argent Silver fwiw. Paint color on my bezels is very close to some old rally wheels I used to have on the El Camino but they are almost 50 years old and who knows how much they have weathered over the years. I was impressed with the non-AC bezel finished product enough so that I had the AC bezel restored by them also. The down side (if you want to call it that) is this is a very labor intensive process which equals $$$. I am at a point where I no longer have the desire (or time) to learn all the intricacies of this process or others like body & paint so I just bite the bullet and pull out the wallet.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 10:30 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

For anyone interested, Season 10 Episode 24 of Graveyard Cars which aired 5/28/19 features an interview with the owner of American Muscle Car restoration and Instrument Specialties Mike Mancini.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 8:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
For anyone interested, Season 10 Episode 24 of Graveyard Cars which aired 5/28/19 features an interview with the owner of American Muscle Car restoration and Instrument Specialties Mike Mancini.

Yup, I saw that episode and had to sit on my hands to refrain from throwing stuff at my TV.🤬🤯

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 19, 11:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopfjaeger View Post
Yup, I saw that episode and had to sit on my hands to refrain from throwing stuff at my TV.🤬🤯
Too bad your experience makes you feel that way. I have come to realize that when it comes to "restoring" OEM versus buying inferior quality reproduction parts, I choose OEM and have resigned myself to taking a back seat to all of the show car builders with deep pockets these places cater to as indicated in that interview. I will not say my experience with them has been 100% but I believe I have been treated fairly. The small shop I purchased some 1965 bucket seats from that were reportedly quality pieces turned out to have badly rusted seat back frames and by the time I found out, the owner closed up shop and left me with no recourse. The shop I have taking care of the paint/body on my El Camino so far exceeds my expectations. Sometimes it's a crap shoot
Kopfjaeger likes this.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 9:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

David,

I will agree that IS quoted me a price that I agreed to. I was warned from several people that I should not be in a rush for it to be done, so I wasnít. As for the quality of the work, I have nothing to compare it to. It looks much better than when I sent it, thatís a plus. What gets me is the numerous times they told me it will be Good to go in a week or two, only to be forgotten about. Iíd email them after a month or more and ask for a status report. Sometimes Id get a reply, sometimes not. Leave a voice mail then wait for a call back. The straw that broke the camels back was getting it back without the horizontal line being painted. All along Tom spoke about their high level of attention to detail, yet they blew the detail on mine then ask me me to ship it back, on my dime, for repair. Not cool.

Oh, I found the correct broadcast decal for the rear of the cluster and sent it to them. No sweat, We sent it out for printing. That was 3 weeks ago. Iím not holding my breath waiting for it.

Joe
David Bates likes this.

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 19, 8:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
I am late to the party! But original 65 bezels are not painted on the ribbed area on the face. It is just straight chrome. It does not reflect like a mirror (like the smooth areas) because it is ribbed and the indentions between the ribs are textured. So it looks "different" than the smooth chromed areas but it is not painted.

If there is any doubt this is correct, it is based on a pristine original in an unrestored car with less than 20K miles. Plus two NOS bezels in the GM Parts boxes dated April 1965 and June 1965.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 19, 9:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffschevelle View Post
I am late to the party! But original 65 bezels are not painted on the ribbed area on the face. It is just straight chrome. It does not reflect like a mirror (like the smooth areas) because it is ribbed and the indentions between the ribs are textured. So it looks "different" than the smooth chromed areas but it is not painted.

If there is any doubt this is correct, (why would anyone doubt it?) it is based on a pristine original in an unrestored car with less than 20K miles. Plus two NOS bezels in the GM Parts boxes dated April 1965 and June 1965.
Thanks for clearing that up Jeff. The photos I saw of "original" bezels looked like something other than all chrome but were apparently just faded! Frankly, I am more happy with mine than the chrome aftermarket one the vehicle came with. With the sun behind you or to the side the glare was horrible. My first vehicle after basic training was a 65SS and I do not have any pictures of it nor do I remember what the bezel actually looked like.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in