Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 19, 2:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Astro Air install

Hi,
So I would like to ditch the ugly rectangular vintage air vents at the bottom of the dash of my 68 Chevelle, being that I am going to be replacing my gauge cluster for a 69 I figured that I would add the Astro Air vents and ditch the ugly ones under the dash, my only problem is I need to add a hole in the passenger side of the dash and I want to put the hole in the right place. Does any one know of a template out there that uses the corners of the glove box as location point to be able to drill out the dash for the vent? or is anyone with a 68-69 Chevelle with Astro Air willing to take your vent out an make a template if you are in the Denver metro area I'm willing to come help. Also is any one aware of any fitment issues when installing the 69 Instrument carrier into a 68. I already have a column that has the ignition in it.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle Interior 1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	589142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle Interior 2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	589144  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 19, 3:11 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Re: Astro Air install

The Instrument panel should be an easy (if labor intensive) swap. Of course you'll want the '69 A/C dash, Vintage Air has a part that fits the center A/C outlet. As far as the right A/C Outlet try contacting member "Gene McGill," at one time he had the template you need.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 19, 3:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
The Instrument panel should be an easy (if labor intensive) swap. Of course you'll want the '69 A/C dash, Vintage Air has a part that fits the center A/C outlet. As far as the right A/C Outlet try contacting member "Gene McGill," at one time he had the template you need.
I will thank you!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 2:06 PM
Gold Member
Gene

I have not been able to find the original that I posted years ago. My ISP got rid of member's web hosting, and deleted everything before I had a chance to archive it. My vent is currently not connected (but installed), so I'll see if I can recreate it. Give me a day or two...
NickeyChevelle, MarkP and Proc like this.

68 SS396
Team Chevelle Gold #14
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 19, 3:42 PM
Tech Team
Bob

Garage

I think you will find the wiper switch on the 68 is different than the 69, so you will have to convert that as well.

55 Chevy Resto Mod - Sold
99 Corvette - Sold
68 El Camino - L79 Tribute
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 19, 1:44 PM
Tech Team
Bob

Garage

I made this template up for the right side Asrto vent cut in the dash, and it seems to fit the rright side repo astro vent I have pretty well. What I am unsure of and cannot seem to find is where this right side hole locates vertically. At this point i assume the vertical center of the ball vent opening should be symmetrical with the left side, but I will have to check that dimension with the dash bezel once it is in the car, assuming that is even possible. If anyone could give me the measurement from the top of the vent to the bottom of the dash pad that would be most helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ELCO Duct Template.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	589904  
Proc likes this.

99 Corvette - Sold
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 19, 9:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinPA View Post
I think you will find the wiper switch on the 68 is different than the 69, so you will have to convert that as well.
My switches are falling apart and I am planning on changing out the whole dash gauge cluster for a 69 and while I am at it I am going to rewire the whole car, I figure that new switches are in my future a long with a whole bunch of little odds and ends
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 19, 9:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinPA View Post
I made this template up for the right side Asrto vent cut in the dash, and it seems to fit the rright side repo astro vent I have pretty well. What I am unsure of and cannot seem to find is where this right side hole locates vertically. At this point i assume the vertical center of the ball vent opening should be symmetrical with the left side, but I will have to check that dimension with the dash bezel once it is in the car, assuming that is even possible. If anyone could give me the measurement from the top of the vent to the bottom of the dash pad that would be most helpful.
Cool thanks I also have the one from Gene, currently saving up and buying parts for this project should have everything in the next couple of months.
Proc likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 6:33 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkerpa3466 View Post
Cool thanks I also have the one from Gene, currently saving up and buying parts for this project should have everything in the next couple of months.
After you have the ball vent housing, I would use the template to cut a hole in thin cardboard first, to see how everything lines up with the housing, and modify accordingly, before hacking up a dash. Once you're happy with the thin cardboard fit, use the cardboard as the template.
fishhead likes this.

68 SS396
Team Chevelle Gold #14
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 7:36 PM
Tech Team
Bob

Garage

that is what I did. I think you will find the template a very snug fit. I had to do some filing to fit. I put the template on and marked it and then cut to the inside of the line. From there I sort of snuck up on it a little at a time. Scary stuff cutting holes in 50 year old dash panels.

99 Corvette - Sold
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 9:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
My switches are falling apart and I am planning on changing out the whole dash gauge cluster for a 69 and while I am at it I am going to rewire the whole car, I figure that new switches are in my future a long with a whole bunch of little odds and ends
Sounds like our cars are twins. Iíve only had mine for less than a year, but havenít touched anything yet that didnít need to be replaced.

Iím just wondering why you chose a Ď69 dash over a replacement Ď68?

Tom.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 4:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
Sounds like our cars are twins. Iíve only had mine for less than a year, but havenít touched anything yet that didnít need to be replaced.

Iím just wondering why you chose a Ď69 dash over a replacement Ď68?

Tom.
First and most importantly I like the look of the 69 dash over the 68 and as an afterthought security is a bit better with a locking steering wheel, not foolproof by any means but I figure that anything that slows down a thief makes it more likely they will get caught. also going to do some type of kill switch.
any4xx likes this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 7:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
First and most importantly I like the look of the 69 dash over the 68 and as an afterthought security is a bit better with a locking steering wheel, not foolproof by any means but I figure that anything that slows down a thief makes it more likely they will get caught. also going to do some type of kill switch.
Liking how it looks is definitely a great reason. Only reason I bought a '68 over a '70 was the look of the grille.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 19, 6:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

one of the other forum members seemed to think that I would have an issue ditching the vintage air vents and using the Astro Air ones. Any one aware of any issues other than the size of the vintage air ducting vs the coupling on the astro air vent. I figure if the ducting is a little to big I can use a rubber hose around the coupling on the vent to make it thicker and put it on with a Zip tie. and if its the other way around I could find some sort of reducer out of some plastic or find one of my friends that's into 3D printing and make something up.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 19, 6:42 PM
Tech Team
Bob

Garage

I am in the process of converting my classic air under dash vents in my 68 to the factory style vents. The after market under dash vents are really low, not fully adjustable, and as a result do not circulate air all that well, unless you like all the air going into your crotch. As to size the GM vents use a 2 1/2" hose and the aftermarket kits use 2". You can buy a vintage air adapter on Jegs and Summit for a few bucks and they work great. It all clicks together. I already have the passenger side vent installed, and it moves a lot more air and is better placed for passenger comfort. Shorter hose, less restriction, and better placement are all plusses in my book. I just got the parts for the center dash vent, so will be updating the driver side and center vents in the coming weeks.
What kinds of problems was the other member bringing up?

99 Corvette - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in