Classic Car Stereos? - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 19, 3:01 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Patrick

Classic Car Stereos?

Does anyone have any experience with Classic Car Stereo radios they’ve installed in their cars or have seen up close in a buddy’s vehicle? I have had awful experiences with Custom Auto Sound; Retro; and some crap unit I bought from OPG in 2011. In addition, my brother had his 1967 Vette orig radio restored and upgraded last year for $600 and it just stopped working, so I don’t trust that route either. I’m just looking to put some simple tunes in my 1966 Elky in the stock location.I’ve got decent speakers in the stock dash location and 50W housed speakers behind seat. Stock working antenna. Car is mostly original. Thanks!

Patrick
1966 El Camino Red/Red 327 PG
Dlr Inst A/C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 19, 7:29 AM
Tech Team
KEITH

I love my custom auto sound in my Camaro. The customer service was great too. I didn't like the looks of the knobs. I called them and told them. I then picked out the knobs that I wanted, and they sent them right out for free. Sorry you had a bad experience.
Westieterrier likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 19, 10:00 AM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage
Re: Classic Car Stereos?

I have a Retrosound Long Beach in my Chevelle. Looks and sounds great, they can have a problem with RFI with HEI distributors.

The problem with designing something completely foolproof, is you underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 19, 6:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Just buy any good brand name bluetooth deck & Put it in the glove box or trunk. Control it with your cell phone. There are even blue tooth enabled amplifiers now (marine amps) that don't even need a headunit, do it all with your phone & the amp does the rest.

Get a dead original radio and keep it in the dash for looks.

Ben R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 5:23 AM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO View Post
Just buy any good brand name bluetooth deck & Put it in the glove box or trunk. Control it with your cell phone. There are even blue tooth enabled amplifiers now (marine amps) that don't even need a headunit, do it all with your phone & the amp does the rest.

I second that. I would've done that except the air conditioned '69's with the glove box attached to the door don't lend themselves to that very well. Maybe placing the unit under the seat would work though. I have a Retrosound Hermosa in the dash with the Retrosound Quad 4 amplifier and they don't put out much bass at all. I'm not impressed by them.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15
[img]

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 10:24 AM
Tech Team
Eddie

Garage

I have a Retrosound unit sitting on the shelf. It worked fine for about 2 weeks than it started having issues, their tech support is clueless when it comes to their own product. Now I have a JVC Media player in the glove compartment.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 10:26 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

After hearing Custom Autosound radios were junk I bought a Retrosound Model One radio which lasted for about the first 250 miles I put on the car. I bought a radio from these guys which are a little pricey but do have bluetooth now which mine didn't when I bought it. So far so good it has good Sound Quality compared to the Retrosound unit.
Antique Automobile Radio, modern stereo for vintage cars
This looks like the one that would be for your El camino 512201BT.
LeoP and Westieterrier like this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 11:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO View Post

Perhaps I’m not understanding this correctly, but if I am, this is an awesome solution. You’re saying that one can mount a “Bluetooth amp” and speakers with nothing else and feed it with an iPhone? Seems too good to be true.
RAMBO and Westieterrier like this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 1:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
Perhaps I’m not understanding this correctly, but if I am, this is an awesome solution. You’re saying that one can mount a “Bluetooth amp” and speakers with nothing else and feed it with an iPhone? Seems too good to be true.
Yup- thats what I am saying.

I actually prefer the idea of the hidden modern radio, as it offers more options than just an amp, but I have given serious consideration to going the amp only route:
Google "Bluetooth car amplifier"

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kenwood-K...kaAq0-EALw_wcB

(this was just the first hit, I have not used this one or any direct experience with it)

Ben R.

-

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 1:19 PM
Tech Team
Eddie

Garage

Little pricey is an understatement. Did I read the price correctly? $687 plus shipping, good Lord that's a lot of money. For less than that I put my whole system together with JVC Bluetooth media player (compact design, no cd's, have the remote or control it through the phone app) 4 Kenwood speakers, amp and 2 10" subs. It sounds like a concert hall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 10.13.57 AM.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	588700  
RAMBO and Westieterrier like this.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 2:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

There are companies that retrofit vintage radios to solid state with bluetooth, USB, Aux input etc. They all seem to use the Aurora branded tuner, amp module interface whatchimacallit gizmos.

My brother is a PHD Electronic Engineer. He contacted Aurora to obtain one of their gizmos to retrofit one of my vintage radios. They would not sell him one, nor would they disclose their proprietary info.
So, Im stuck with spending $600 or so to have one of the retrofit companies do it for me.

p.s. I don't do smart phones so that approach to the problem wont work for me.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 5:05 PM
Tech Team
Allan

I have the retrosound Long Beach in my 66 c10 truck, love it!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by db11020 View Post
I have a Retrosound Long Beach in my Chevelle. Looks and sounds great, they can have a problem with RFI with HEI distributors.

The problem with designing something completely foolproof, is you underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Allan
66 SS396 325 HP M20

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 8:38 PM
Tech Team
Geoff

Garage

Crutchfield, stellar customer support. I have a retrosound in my 67 and a 4 channel amp from Crutchfield, it ROCKS!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 9:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I have a RetroSound model II and when I was hooking it up it was laying on the trans hump I felt the radio getting pretty warm so that could be why they don't last long? I think with an amp hooked to it would maybe make them last longer but for $300+ you wouldn't think you would need to do anything extra so I agree with putting a less expensive radio where ever you can hide it and most come with remotes or use your phone, I use Pandora it's free...so far

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 19, 9:34 PM
Tech Team

Garage

I've got a RetroSound Model 2 deal-e-o running through an Alpine KTP-445U amp that works good. But, I'll just leave this here anyway Electro-Tech Service 1

'69 Malibu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in