Heated seat switch - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 8:08 PM Thread Starter
Alex

Heated seat switch

I’m looking at adding heated seats to my 69’s buckets when I sew the leather covers. I’m contemplating on how I want to do the switches. Looking at my rear defogger set up, it would seem to work as a 3 position switch in the on-off-on configuration.
So here’s my idea I’ve figured out a way to reproduce a impala style bezel that mounts two of those switches. In the original it housed the rear defogger and power top switches. I’m going to use an acid etch with a resist to basically reproduce that bezel in brass. Then chrome plate it and fill with black enamel. That switch bank will be mounted in the console plate. It will hopefully not look out of place to the casual observer.
My problem is no one is reproducing the rear defogger switch, and I need two. Is there anyway to make a power top switch non momentary? The switches themselves seem the same, just the power top switch is momentary in both positions while the rear defogger is not. This post would probably make more sense with pictures lol. Also does anyone know what font gm used on the 69 defogger bezel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 8:36 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Re: Heated seat switch

Alex -

I think the problem you're going to run into is there's not detent in the power top switch, so even if you could remove the spring action, it's not going to stay in the on position.

I'm assuming you're trying to match the existing switch styling, but it might be easier to add an illuminated rocker switch that shows when the heated seats are turned on?

Just a thought...

jim
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 8:48 PM Thread Starter
Alex

Yea that is a good point it most certainly would be easier to just use two illuminated rockers. My other option is to just use a couple of rocker switches from digikey and adapt the paddle off of a power window switch. It will have a similar look but will necessitate a different attachment scheme for the bezel. I’m working on a bezel for a push button reverse lockout as well. It’s going to look pretty cool and might have some people scratching their heads at my “options”.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 11:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Alex, can you use a heated seat switches from a newer G.M. vehicle? Terry
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 6:41 AM Thread Starter
Alex

Yes modern switches are no problem at all to find. My goal is to have the switches look like they came in the car 50 years ago. My goal is to have a two chrome paddle rocker switches in a chrome plated bezel mounted on the center console plate.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 7:05 AM Thread Starter
Alex

Here is the mock up for the bezel that will mount in the console plate. Its not to scale and in reverse. All the black areas would be chrome and the white areas will be enamel filled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heated seats bezel.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	587454  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 11:33 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aem7272 View Post
Iím looking at adding heated seats to my 69ís buckets when I sew the leather covers. Iím contemplating on how I want to do the switches. Looking at my rear defogger set up, it would seem to work as a 3 position switch in the on-off-on configuration.
So hereís my idea Iíve figured out a way to reproduce a impala style bezel that mounts two of those switches. In the original it housed the rear defogger and power top switches. Iím going to use an acid etch with a resist to basically reproduce that bezel in brass. Then chrome plate it and fill with black enamel. That switch bank will be mounted in the console plate. It will hopefully not look out of place to the casual observer.
My problem is no one is reproducing the rear defogger switch, and I need two. Is there anyway to make a power top switch non momentary? The switches themselves seem the same, just the power top switch is momentary in both positions while the rear defogger is not. This post would probably make more sense with pictures lol. Also does anyone know what font gm used on the 69 defogger bezel?
You could add latching relays to the momentary outputs of a momentary switch (like what is happening with a power top switch). By moving the switch to one position and then releasing it, the latching relay would close allowing power to flow to the seat heaters and then if that same switch was moved once again to that one position and released once again, the latching relay would open stopping the flow of power to the seat heaters.

Jim

Always working on something:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 19, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Streib View Post
You could add latching relays to the momentary outputs of a momentary switch (like what is happening with a power top switch). By moving the switch to one position and then releasing it, the latching relay would close allowing power to flow to the seat heaters and then if that same switch was moved once again to that one position and released once again, the latching relay would open stopping the flow of power to the seat heaters.

Jim
That's a great idea Jim. I believe I was over thinking the problem. I was under the impression I needed switches that would be rated for higher amp draw. Once I dug deeper into the seat heater kit, the switches just trigger a brain box that controls the heating elements. I've picked up some switches that I think will work. Luckily they come with measured drawings so designing the resist for acid etching the bezel should go smoothly. I'm still debating where to locate the switches for the rear seats. They will likely be located near the power window switch.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 19, 2:42 PM
Tech Team
Drew

Did this ever Happen?

Pics
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 19, 5:27 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Hey guys,
Find a way to convert standard seats to cooled seats and I'm on board.
I actually looked into converting my seats to cooled seats and although possible it's not probable. Several newer cars offer this feature but it would take an involved retrofit from a donor vehicle. Comments?
By the way if one could manage to install cooled seats they would also be capable of heating the seats as well because the cooled seats use sort of a,heat pump which is capable of heating or cooling.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 19, 6:44 PM Thread Starter
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikride View Post
Did this ever Happen?

Pics
It's happening. The ferric chloride and toner transfer paper showed up today, the switches should show up tomorrow, and the brass bar stock should be here on Monday. I should have bezel design finalized tomorrow or Sunday. If it is successful I'd be happy to share the files and a parts list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Hey guys,
Find a way to convert standard seats to cooled seats and I'm on board.
I actually looked into converting my seats to cooled seats and although possible it's not probable. Several newer cars offer this feature but it would take an involved retrofit from a donor vehicle. Comments?
By the way if one could manage to install cooled seats they would also be capable of heating the seats as well because the cooled seats use sort of a,heat pump which is capable of heating or cooling.
There is a kit out there, but it is a little more involved than just adding heating elements. I believe it runs on a peltier device and fans to provide heating and cooling. Cooling would be most effective with perforated leather or vinyl to facilitate airflow.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 19, 8:39 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aem7272 View Post
There is a kit out there, but it is a little more involved than just adding heating elements. I believe it runs on a peltier device and fans to provide heating and cooling. Cooling would be most effective with perforated leather or vinyl to facilitate airflow.
I believe perforated leather is almost a must. It has been a while since I looked at it but IIRC it has ducting to carry the heated and cooled air. So there must be an outlet for that air. I thought for the multitude of classic cars that don't have air conditioning it would be a good alternative and wouldn't be rob any horse power. Think it would be a challenging mod and I have never seen a classic car with that modification. Just heated seats is an easier, less complicated modification.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 19, 9:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

If that switch matches the defroster switch perfectly you could probably sell those.

If you put this kit together, you could sell it...

If you make a mistake, your element will burn your seat cover, your Jean's, and your backside.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 19, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Alex

I've finished the initial design the bezels. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. I was taking apart my rear defogger switch to get some measurements today, and realized that the mushy feeling when engaging the switch was due to a broken pivot ear. It looks like I will be casting a new paddle switch as well for this project.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bezel.png
Views:	8
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	587892  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 19, 9:06 AM Thread Starter
Alex

I wasn't happy with the font. I think this one is closer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	heated seat bezel.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	587908   Click image for larger version

Name:	heated seat bezel flipped.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	587910  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in