53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 96 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 19, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Hector

Send a message via Skype™ to HERodriguezJr
Unhappy 69 Chevelle Malibu Seats - Reupholstery spring/bun question

Hey team

Has anyone experienced a different type of seat in their 69 Chevelle? Mine is a Malibu model to be exact. The Vinyl is different than any other seat I've seen online. I need help because I was just about to start my reupholstery project, but there are no springs on the back of the seat, and only a small section of springs on the bottom! The foam is different and basically make the shape of the seat. Can someone help? I ordered all the items I need.. I hope I don't have to sell these now. Take a look at the photos below.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0993.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	587278   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0992.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	587280   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0988.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	587282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0991.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	587284  

Name:	IMG_0990.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	587286   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0987.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	587288   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0989.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	587290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0986.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	587292  

Name:	IMG_0985.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	587294  

HRodz
1969 Chevelle Malibu
350 SBC (soon to be BBC)
4 Speed (soon to be T56)
10 Bolt 8.2 Rear (soon to be 12 bolt)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 1:30 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage
Re: 69 Chevelle Malibu Seats - Reupholstery spring/bun question

Wow, now that is something new.

While it is a 69-72 GM Strato Bucket seat, i can say definitively that its not from a 69 Chevelle originally.

I have never seen or heard of that kind of molded upper cushion in a Strato bucket. GM did do something like that in the 69 Camaro and Firebird seats, so i guess it shoukdn't be a surpruise they did the same thing in these, I've just never heard of it.

I would go on a limb and assume that the upper cushion frame probably has the provisions (mounting tangs) for a spring assembly, and you could buy a repop spring for a 69-72 bucket and install it and use the regularly available seat buns.

I would be curious to see what that upper cushion looks like when you take it all apart... if you could take some pics and share when it comes out that would be awesome.
augy and HERodriguezJr like this.

Ben R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 96 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 1:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Wow. looking again.... even the lower springs appear to be different- there is no compression springs along the front edge. Very interested to see some more pics as they come apart.

I did some quick googling oddball GM models (71/72) but didn't spot anything.
I tend to want to think Buick or Oldsmobile because of the perforated vinyl, but hard to tell. THe covers might not even be original to those seats, but the buns appear to be an OE style bun.

Interesting!
augy and HERodriguezJr like this.

Ben R.

-

post #4 of 96 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 8:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

What Ben said ^^^^^
HERodriguezJr likes this.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #5 of 96 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 8:53 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Hector

I know! It's so weird, right!? So a little history on this car. I DO have a 1969 Chevelle MALIBU.. Non post cor. The car WAS special ordered with a center console, 4 speed transmission, and a 350 SBC (2 bolt) - ALL FROM THE FACTORY. So with that said, could it be that these seats were just thrown in there from the assembly line? I actually don't mind this material as it looks kind of cool.. but I do have all the regular "SS" foam, vinyl, burlap, etc ready to go. I spent about $400 in these parts and cant use them unless like you said, I actually buy the spring assemblies.. (there goes another $500).. At this point, I would've just bought some pre-assembled ones from PUI. Anyway, thank you so so much for actually replying and for your interest. It's good to know that I am not the only one who finds this weird.. LOL God bless. I will defiantly post pictures and I go along.

HRodz
1969 Chevelle Malibu
350 SBC (soon to be BBC)
4 Speed (soon to be T56)
post #6 of 96 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 8:53 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Hector

Yes, it certainly is weird.. These seats are a MYSTERY!

HRodz
1969 Chevelle Malibu
350 SBC (soon to be BBC)
4 Speed (soon to be T56)
post #7 of 96 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 10:14 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Subscribed. I'm as Interested as Rambo and Augy.. What do they feel like when you sit down in them? Do you sink in or do they hold you up right?
I have also seen nothing like them...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #8 of 96 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Hector

Hi @red68chevL

The seats actually feel really firm. I am not sure if they are as firm as the "springed" version, but these are comfy.. I actually like the style and look. I wish I can find these. I emailed OPGI to see if they have heard of anything. I am about to email PUI and Legendary auto interiors next. I'm still amazed why these seats came from the factory like this. They certainly are Chevelle seats.. I mean the exterior is exactly the same except the foam and vinyl.. still so shocked. This will make a good story at the car shows haha. Thanks for your interest!

HRodz
1969 Chevelle Malibu
350 SBC (soon to be BBC)
4 Speed (soon to be T56)
post #9 of 96 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 11:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

A couple more thoughts after stewing on this overnight...

The covers don't appear to be original to me, looking at the attaching sleeve on the back side of the upper cushion- The OEM covers used a thick white sleeve with the sewn in cardboard tube for the back side of the upper cover, and for the listing sleeves inside the upper and lower covers.

The blue canvas sleeves makes me think of really old (80's)reproduction covers... but the pattern is totally foreign to me.

What shape are the hogrings? are they circles or are they triangles?
OEM used a power hogring tool that used circle hogrings that came in a magazine.

Most* shops and individuals don't use those, they use hogring pliers with the hogrings that form a triangle after they are closed up.

Another thought occured to me, Truck buckets from this generation used non-sprung thick cushion buns... but their frames were completely different from stratobuckets.

Did they come with headrests and headrest lock bezels?
If so what kind of bezels were they, did they have the little square push button, or were the they the ones with the round button attached to a wire you pressed?

That helps ID what year the seats came from.

Upholstery options were all pretty standard and well defined. Even the oddball ones are generally at least documented.

There is pretty much no chance that a special ordered car would have had some random one-off bucket "thrown in". What is the back seat cover? does it match these or is it a regular Malibu cover?

Definitely a mystery. I dig it!

Ben R.

-

post #10 of 96 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 12:12 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERodriguezJr View Post
I know! It's so weird, right!? So a little history on this car. I DO have a 1969 Chevelle MALIBU.. Non post cor. The car WAS special ordered with a center console, 4 speed transmission, and a 350 SBC (2 bolt) - ALL FROM THE FACTORY. So with that said, could it be that these seats were just thrown in there from the assembly line?
Your car did NOT leave the factory with those seats. More than likely, someone just used them over the years b/c they had them on hand. Or found them cheap. Or may have actually found them comfortable.

They scream late 1970s or 1980s to me....but I could be wrong. They also look like something I've seen on Mopars, believe it or not.

Our 1969 cars are 50 years old. Most of had many owners and God knows what done to them during this time. Even as late as the late 1980s, Malibus didn't get the love their SS cousins did.
fishhead and HERodriguezJr like this.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #11 of 96 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 12:13 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

FWIW, weren't headrests mandated by the government starting in 1969?

Don't these seats lack them? Could be aftermarket something or other.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #12 of 96 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 12:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Here are my thoughts on these seats. They are not at all the way they left GM. They have been customized so to speak. They are a seat from 69-72. They originally had headrests on them. They were removed when the seats were redone. They still have the tubes/ guides for the headrest posts, but not headrests or headrest locking mechanisms. headrests would have been required on seats for 1969 and up. The foam used in those seats appears to be from another make of automobile. I would guess a Mopar. The foam could also been custom made. I can not see the foam well enough to make an accurate call. The seat back has a channel shaped support brace in there that I believe was added for support for the foam, so that it would not sink back to far when the seat was sat in. What looks like a channel my actually be foam. That may be the contour of the foam. Can not tell from picture. Those seats may have had seat springs that were badly broken or rusted out. The foam may have also been beyond the point of re using. They may have found some donor seats to get the foam from and custom made a set of seat covers. GM had been making bucket seat covers to fit this style of seat since 1966. They knew how to cut the pieces to properly fit this style seat frames. Those covers when looking at the bottom side of the seat cushion do not look the shape that GM would have made them. Look how poorly the seat cover wraps around the back side of the seat cushion. Plenty of wrinkles there. Also the flaps on the underside of the seat cushion frame are no where near how anyone at GM would have hog ringed them on. They are not even the correct shape. I believe these seat had springs in the seat backs that were removed. They do not even have near enough burlap under there. There was no burlap used in that seat back. This is just not right.

post #13 of 96 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Hector

Hi, @RAMBO - VERY interesting.. I didnít even realize that the covers had some blue on the canvas until you mentioned it. I just figured it was a 1969 factory thing. I am not too sure of the hog rings since I am at work, but I will check tonight. Good thought about the truck seats.. but yea these are definitely stratobuckets. These seats did come with headrests. In fact, the same exact ones that you would see on a 69 Chevelle SS. And yes, they do have the correct headrest lock bezels. They are the round type with the lever sticking out (just like the ss, see below). Mind boggling, huh?

@blue_69_malibu - Very interesting as well. TBH my father was the second owner of this car, so even in 50 years, I HIGHLY doubt these seats were ever changed. In fact, the guy who bought it before my dad, wasnít even mechanically inclined at all. He wouldnít change these seats out. Remember that the frame is a correct A body seat frame.. so the thing to question is only the foam, vinyl, and the missing springs. Also in my previous reply, yes I do have the headrests in the garage.

Thank you all for your help trying to solve this mystery guys!!!! Itís people like you who make this industry a great one!
Attached Images

HRodz
1969 Chevelle Malibu
350 SBC (soon to be BBC)
4 Speed (soon to be T56)
post #14 of 96 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 1:00 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Hector

@RealRed70 Wow, good point. I'll tell you one thing.. This seat never had springs. I can promise you that. The only spring you see is on the bottom bun. Also if it had springs, you would see the "S" rustmarks on the foam. So I think that rules that option out. It could very well be that thee seats were worked on, but where would they find that molded foam? I HIGHLY doubt this.. but anything is possible. I'm going to ask my dad if he remembers anything about these seats being altered back in the day. It's mind boggling if a Mopar seat bun and vinyl made it into a GM A body seat.. If so, which model car do you think it is? The mystery just digs deeper.. LOL Thanks fellas! Feeling the love and support.

HRodz
1969 Chevelle Malibu
350 SBC (soon to be BBC)
4 Speed (soon to be T56)
post #15 of 96 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 19, 1:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

The style of headrest lock you posted are the 70-72 style, not a 1969 style. The headrests are dated on the steel posts. The dates are kind of hard to see, but you should be able to find them. That will at least tell you if you have 1969 headrests.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 455 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.