Kick panel speakers - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 19, 4:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Kick panel speakers

Has anyone on here used their original kick panels and cut a hole for speakers? I see the after market ones and like everything else I imagine they may not fit like the OG ones. I’m thinking of just taking a 6.5” hole saw and making my own. Repaint them...Buy some alpine speaker covers and call it good. Seems fairly simple and will save me 150 bucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 19, 4:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Re: Kick panel speakers

Although I don't have them on my car, I think that you'd better use the aftermarket ones already made for speakers because they have a "bulge" molded into them to make room for the back of the speaker. Just cutting holes in the stock kick panels might not give you enough room at the rearÖ
Good luck,

Claude.
suazo66 and shovelrick like this.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 19, 4:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Installing the drivers side requires removing the E-brake pedal assy and modifying it to clear the speaker bulge. They fit looser to the A pillar pinchweld but you can add rope chalk to tighten things up.
shovelrick likes this.

Ed C.
-------------------------
70 SS L34 Auto project
57 Belair hardtop project
Always looking
There's nothing in this hobby I won't try at least once.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 19, 4:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I thought about that too. That’s why I was wondering if anybody has done it.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 19, 5:29 PM
Senior Tech Team

I've installed kick panel speakers through the years into original, custom made, and aftermarket panels but you might get more information from others with providing what year, make and model you are wanting to install some into.

Jim

Always working on something:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 11:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Where in NorCal are you and what year is your car? Iím in Salinas with a Ď68. A PO cut holes in my kicks and put speakers in. Iíve already got new replacement panels but havenít put them in yet. Can you use my originals? If so, come and get them.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 12:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

I've recently purchased a "Blue Light Stereo" replica for my (non-AC) '69 coupe, and along with it a pair of package shelf speakers and a pair of replacement kick panels equipped with 6" round speakers. As Claude notes, the kick panels have a bulge to allow backside clearance for the speaker magnets. Ed says that fitting these requires modification to the e-brake pedal so it clears the speaker grille. What must one do to the pedal, Ed (or anyone else who has mounted such speakers)? I assume just a bit of 're-bending' to shift the pedal inward. Thanks in advance for any help.
shovelrick likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 12:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltherring View Post
I've recently purchased a "Blue Light Stereo" replica for my (non-AC) '69 coupe, and along with it a pair of package shelf speakers and a pair of replacement kick panels equipped with 6" round speakers. As Claude notes, the kick panels have a bulge to allow backside clearance for the speaker magnets. Ed says that fitting these requires modification to the e-brake pedal so it clears the speaker grille. What must one do to the pedal, Ed (or anyone else who has mounted such speakers)? I assume just a bit of 're-bending' to shift the pedal inward. Thanks in advance for any help.
I installed a set on a 70 cutlass where the E-brake pedal is similar to the chevelle. Once the pedal was removed, I used a cut off wheel and slit the outer u shaped pedal arm to allow bending away from the kick panel. Once I got clearance, I welded up the slits.
shovelrick and B52bombardier1 like this.

Ed C.
70 SS L34 Auto project
57 Belair hardtop project
Always looking
There's nothing in this hobby I won't try at least once.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 1:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCarpenter View Post
I installed a set on a 70 cutlass where the E-brake pedal is similar to the chevelle. Once the pedal was removed, I used a cut off wheel and slit the outer u shaped pedal arm to allow bending away from the kick panel. Once I got clearance, I welded up the slits.
Thanks, for your response, Ed, but I would have thought the arm needed a pair of bends to create an 'offset', in order to keep the pedal arm actuation parallel to the clutch and brake pedals?

But then, perhaps I'm trying to make a relatively simple task more complex.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 1:47 PM
Tech Team
Jim

I installed a pair of the kick panels with speakers in my '69 without the need to "bend" the parking brake pedal. It's extremely close, but you may find it will work without modification.

jim
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 2:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's69Ragtop View Post
I installed a pair of the kick panels with speakers in my '69 without the need to "bend" the parking brake pedal. It's extremely close, but you may find it will work without modification.

jim
Thanks, Jim. My car's pedal and arm are quite close to the stock kick panel so I assume I'd need to modify the arm. I planned on removing the pedal while installing the new kick panel.

When I attempt to reinstall the arm/pedal, I guess I'll just see what needs to be done. I just wanted to find out what others had encountered and what they did (if anything) to correct any clearance problems.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 2:20 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Yeah, you may be surprised. I didn't think mine would clear, but the arc of the of pedal sweep as it released passed over a lower part of the speaker grill - i.e. it would have hit if it passed over the middle of the grill.

jim
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 2:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's69Ragtop View Post
Yeah, you may be surprised. I didn't think mine would clear, but the arc of the of pedal sweep as it released passed over a lower part of the speaker grill - i.e. it would have hit if it passed over the middle of the grill.

jim
I hope I will be 'surprised' but the vendor did include a note that indicated I had better be prepared to modify the parking brake arm. I'll probably install the speakers this week, even though the radio isn't supposed to show up until late March-early April.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I ended up buying the ground up brand kick panels with speakers in them. I have a 71 Malibu. It does say it may require some modification of the brake pedal. So we’ll see. I’m hoping I can make it work without too much cutting and bending. Hopefully I get them this week and I can start messing with them next weekend.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 19, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

What does it entail to remove the pedal? Is it as simple as involving a few bolts? I haven’t looked at it yet. Any info and things to look for would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in