• 1 Post By 1966_L78
  • 1 Post By 68-13427
  • 1 Post By jeffschevelle

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 19, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

66-67 "Deluxe" Seats?

I saw this craigslist ad for deluxe bucket seats for 66-67. The seller lists a lot of chevelle parts so I kind of think that he knows his chevelles but I've never heard of them as an OEM option.
https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/...802125621.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 19, 10:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Re: 66-67 "Deluxe" Seats?

Those are 67 GTO/ Lemans seats with the optional headrests. Headrests were an option before the 1969 model year for 66-68 models. The GTO/ Lemans seats have a different spring structure in the seat backs. Making them a little wider at the top than the Chevelle seats for that year. Chevelle seat covers will work on those seat frames. He is saying they are deluxe do to the fact that they have the optional headrests. There was no such thing as deluxe bucket seats.
davewho1, augy and 68-13427 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 19, 1:51 PM
Tech Team
Troy

The fact that they have a release button on the side of the back rest eliminates them as 66 Chevelle seat. That is 67 and I believe 68 only in a Chevelle.

66 CHEVELLE

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 19, 2:04 PM
Tech Team
KEITH

Good catch on the seat back button. You are correct that 66 did not have them. I would say 68 Pontiac or Buick.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 19, 2:44 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Garage

Regarding seat back release buttons, I had an originall 66 SS with the buttons. The car was built in Atlanta the third week in June (06c trim code) Because of the late build date, the judges at the NCOA show in 1994 said that it was possible due to the late production date that seat frames for the 67s would have been already making it down the production line. I had owned this car from 1972 thru 1998 and am sure that these were the original seats in the car. So you never know. This car scored 966 out of a possible 1000 points and no points were deducted for the seats.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 19, 5:05 PM
Tech Team
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by modern malibu View Post
Regarding seat back release buttons, I had an originall 66 SS with the buttons. The car was built in Atlanta the third week in June (06c trim code) Because of the late build date, the judges at the NCOA show in 1994 said that it was possible due to the late production date that seat frames for the 67s would have been already making it down the production line. I had owned this car from 1972 thru 1998 and am sure that these were the original seats in the car. So you never know. This car scored 966 out of a possible 1000 points and no points were deducted for the seats.
I could see that as possible. In fact I would put them in my 66 if I could find a set, I like the idea of a locking seat back.

66 CHEVELLE
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 19, 9:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
That is very interesting! I've never seen a '66 with '67 buckets seats from the factory, but can see where it COULD happen. Did the seats in your '66 have the 1966 upholstery pattern with the pleats running up-down and front-to-back, or side-to-side like the '67's had?

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 19, 1:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
The fact that they have a release button on the side of the back rest eliminates them as 66 Chevelle seat. That is 67 and I believe 68 only in a Chevelle.
IIRC, all '67 used metal side skirts and metal back panels, while '68 used plastic skirts and plastic back panels. I think the upper attachments for the back panel are different as well, due to the metal vs plastic panels...
senna likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sold

Sold

&

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 19, 4:47 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Garage

augy ,They had the pleats running vertical.They were also in poor shape. The vinyl was ripped and the cushions were coming apart which led me to believe they were original to the car and not refurbished.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 19, 5:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Garage

Quote:
This car scored 966 out of a possible 1000 points and no points were deducted for the seats.
Quote:
augy ,They had the pleats running vertical.They were also in poor shape. The vinyl was ripped and the cushions were coming apart which led me to believe they were original to the car and not refurbished.
I'm not familiar with judging specifics, but how can you not get deductions for poor condition seats?

66 Malibu......back to life with a 427 BB & 4 speed
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 19, 10:01 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Garage

RAIDERSS, the seats in question were refurbished with new foam and covers prior to NCOA show in 1994.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 19, 1:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

While building 1966 model year cars, there would not be any 1967 model year parts in the assembly plant, they would not show up until after model change over. Terry
RAMBO likes this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 19, 7:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
I'm afraid Mark's judges were wrong! I have an unrestored original July built Atlanta 66 SS, and it has 66 seats. I also have pictures of an unrestored original Atlanta 66 SS that has a VIN number that puts it on the VERY LAST DAY of production of 66 Chevelles in the Atlanta plant, and it has 66 seats (and 66 seat belts without the 67-style integrated retractors -- that is another myth that some people try to claim happened in late built 66's).

So someone changed your seats before you bought the car in 1972.
LKN BCK likes this.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 379 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.