4 Speed Shifter hump - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 18, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Don

4 Speed Shifter hump

I've done some research here, but still not sure.

I have a 65 El Camino with bench seat and 4 speed. I'm sure the 4 speed was added from the looks of the tunnel cut out.

I see that a weld or screw in hump is available from some vendors. However, there is no indication in the 65 AIM that I can find where the hump was added as part of the M20 option.

Is a 65 supposed to have the hump? Or is it just something that can be added as desired?

Thanks,
Don

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 18, 11:43 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Re: 4 Speed Shifter hump

Don,
I am just assuming here but I would think it is supposed to have a hump. The hump gives a means by which a trim ring and boot can be applied. I am guessing you don't have those items now.
Are there signs of your Elco being an automatic originally. Such as steering column, radiator,etc?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 18, 3:25 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Don,
I am just assuming here but I would think it is supposed to have a hump. The hump gives a means by which a trim ring and boot can be applied. I am guessing you don't have those items now.
Are there signs of your Elco being an automatic originally. Such as steering column, radiator,etc?
I'm not sure what it was originally. But I assume it was an automatic. The steering column and radiator had been changed. But the one thing that said it was likely an automatic was the clutch return spring bracket that was welded to the firewall was missing and no sign that there ever was one. I have since corrected this and now have a correct clutch setup.

I do not have a hump and the AIM does not show one. I do have the boot and trim ring (both additions and no where near correct). The Aim shows the boot and trim ring attached to the tunnel.

I'm a little surprised that the AIM does not show dimensions of the cut-out of the tunnel for the 4 speed shifter.

Thanks,

Don

Don

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 18, 3:48 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

You might do better with this question in either the Elco forum or the wagon forum as with something like this they would be the same.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 18, 4:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

I put a weld-in aftermarket 4-speed hump in a '65 Malibu once. I positioned the hump (it was obvious where it belonged) and marked the perimeter with a crayon or chalk. I removed the hump and marked a cutout pattern (all around) about 3/4" inward from my mark. After completing the cutout, I drilled a bunch of holes in the weld-on hump's outside flange, repositioned it and plug welded it to the floor. After caulking it, I positioned the boot and ring, drilled holes and screwed them to the floor.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 18, 4:42 PM
Tech Team
KEITH

If you already have a stick coming through the floor, get the hump and center it on the shifter in the neutral position. Go through all the gears to make sure it doesn't hit, and burn it in. That's what I would do.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 9:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

I believe the four speed hump for "64-66" Chevelles and "67" with console, probably Elco's would be the same? "67" Chevelles without console used a taller chrome shifter hump.The correct one is a shallow one,most venders show the wrong one.The original holes were just cut out with a torch before the hump was installed. The parts place has the correct one listed on Ebay,it'll be easy to locate in the correct spot as it pretty much fits the floor contour. Metal trim ring holds the boot to the hump and carpet grommet is installed (without console) last. Someone correct me if I'm wrong,I'm not an Elco expert.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 10:01 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

You won't see the hump install in the AIM because the hump was installed or not installed by Fisher Body before the assembly line process began. The AIM does not show the work done by Fisher.

The floor shift manual trans cars had a weld on hump from the factory. The hump used will clear the original Muncie shifter but often need to be "adjusted" at the shifter handle opening if you want to use a Hurst shifter as the Hurst shifter body is larger.

The Tempest/LeMans/GTO used a bolt on hump that is larger and fits over a Hurst shifter without modification but cannot be used under a Chevelle console and won't work with a Chevelle style floor boot and bezel but there is a GTO boot and bezel readily available that would work.
David Bates likes this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 1:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

I think this is the GTO/etc hump that covers the Hurst shifter... As mentioned, it is NOT correct for a Chevelle, but should work (with GTO carpet) if you wanted to clear a Hurst shifter... Beware, there are still a LOT of sellers that say this is correct "Chevelle" non-console...

This is the "correct" hump for a 64-67 Chevelle Manual floor-shift transmission

Here's the correct boot for all 64-67 floor-shifted manual trans cars.

Boot retainer

Here's the "carpet ring"

The boot and retainer screw to the floor, beneath the carpet, and the carpet ring dresses up the hole cut in the carpet...

Here's is what the finished assembly looks like, correct for any 64-66 Chevelle/El Camino:

Note that ALL 64-66 Chevelles will use the same setup, bench or buckets, console or not console (not all bucket seat cars came with consoles)...

Here is the '67 Chrome hump for the bench seat cars, but IIRC, the floor still uses the oval hump and boot, as this chrome piece is just decorative, on to of the carpet.

While not correct for a 64-66 benchseat car, it should fit and look okay.

The floor pans were basically the same for all 64-67 Chevelles (including El Camino, Wagon, hardtop, convertible and 4-door), so the humps parts should all fit (no guarantee of repro parts fitting perfectly though)
David Bates and RAIDER SS like this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 18, 5:51 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

I used a Chevelle reproduction hump in the wagon and it fit pretty well to my reproduction floor pan. I used a reproduction GTO hump on our original floors in the 64 GTO and it fit really well.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 20, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Don

I'm back on my project to add the correct configuration for non-console 4 speed in my 65. In post #9 above by 1966-L78, he provided a good breakdown of what I need. I've found everything in reproduction except for the "carpet ring".

Does anyone know if these are being reproduced?

Don
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 20, 12:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jim

steel rubber products . seal , control lever . 70-3265-68
$32.00 . now, where do you find the correct metal shifter hump patch panel ? thanks jim
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 20, 4:32 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpvelle View Post
steel rubber products . seal , control lever . 70-3265-68
$32.00 . now, where do you find the correct metal shifter hump patch panel ? thanks jim
Thanks, I just ordered one. They don't make it easy to find their product. I would think if they made some minor changes to their description more interested people would find it. They describe it as "Seal, Control Lever" and if you google that exact description you get to them.

I've been googling 1965 Chevelle carpet grommet, shifter grommet, shifter seal, etc. and never a hit on Steele Rubber Product.

As for the hump, I'm just planning to use the one in Post #9 above.

Don

Don
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 20, 5:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
Here's is what the finished assembly looks like, correct for any 64-66 Chevelle/El Camino:

The boot and retainer screw to the floor, beneath the carpet, and the carpet ring dresses up the hole cut in the carpet...
EXCELLENT writeup, Tony - Thanx!
David Bates and Don B like this.

66 Malibu......back to life with a 427 BB & 4 speed
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 20, 11:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B View Post
I believe the four speed hump for "64-66" Chevelles and "67" with console, probably Elco's would be the same? "67" Chevelles without console used a taller chrome shifter hump.The correct one is a shallow one,most venders show the wrong one.The original holes were just cut out with a torch before the hump was installed. The parts place has the correct one listed on Ebay,it'll be easy to locate in the correct spot as it pretty much fits the floor contour. Metal trim ring holds the boot to the hump and carpet grommet is installed (without console) last. Someone correct me if I'm wrong,I'm not an Elco expert.
The floor hump under the carpet in a 67 non-console 4-speed (or floor shifted 3-spd) is the same hump as 64-66 Chevelles. The 67 chrome bezel just screws down on top of the carpet, as a decorative piece as Tony said above.

Quote:
Here's the correct boot for all 64-67 floor-shifted manual trans cars.

That boot is correct for all 64-65, and for 66 without console, and for 66 with console before late production shift to the 67-style console boot. That boot is not correct for any 67 (console or not). 67 console used a "sleeve" style boot below and a console boot up top. 67 non-console 4-speed (or floor shifted 3-spd) used a completely different boot which fits in the rectangular hole in the chrome bezel. It was only used on that setup and all but impossible to find because it is not reproduced.

Quote:
Boot retainer

One tiny detail on those is that 67's are different. They have two holes pre-punched in them that match up with the inboard holes in the 67 chrome bezel. Those holes show you exactly where to install the chrome bezel to fit right.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in