Recaro. Corbeau. Procar. Whos had two? - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 18, 3:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Recaro. Corbeau. Procar. Whos had two?

I want to replace my bench seat in my 68 ElC. Id love to put a set of Recaro Orthopeds in, but have a really hard time justifying $6k for two seats. Ive looked hard at the Corbeau and Procar options, and they do seem nice at roughly $1,600 to $2k for the pair.

About thirty years ago I put a pair of Corbeau cloth seats in a 69 Camaro. I was satisfied with the comfort, but the cloth did not wear well. Ive never had Procar seats. Whatever I get, Im going with black leather. My back sucks, so they must recline and have good lumbar support.

So who here has had at least two, if not all three brands? Can either of the two less expensive options even come close to the premium choice in comfort and durability? Is one of the less expensive choices significantly better than the other? Ive read internet posts for weeks and just get more confused the deeper I dig.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 18, 11:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kevin

Re: Recaro. Corbeau. Procar. Whos had two?

I had a set of Recaros back in the 70's. Great seat and expensive at the time but worth the investment. I have had friends who had Corbeaus but was never really impressed with the quality. Recently I had a set of Sparco Torinos in another car and while not cheap, they were a great seat. I think with seats you get what you pay for and since that is your first connection with the car, buy the best you can afford.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space" - Jim Whittaker

Ermine White/Red 1967 Chevelle Malibu
Forged Mike Lewis 383 rotating assembly
AFR Eliminator 195's
Lunati Voodoo 60122 roller cam
Inglese 50mm 8 stack injection
FAST XFI Street
SC&C Stage II Plus suspension
Hotchkis/Hellwig sway bars
Tremec TKO 600
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 18, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy67 View Post
I had a set of Recaros back in the 70's. Great seat and expensive at the time but worth the investment. I have had friends who had Corbeaus but was never really impressed with the quality. Recently I had a set of Sparco Torinos in another car and while not cheap, they were a great seat. I think with seats you get what you pay for and since that is your first connection with the car, buy the best you can afford.
Thank you for your input. I just gave this same advice to a friend who was shopping for a $400.00 PAIR of seats for his Chevelle. I didnt mention Sparco in my post, but I had looked at them also. I find it easy to spend for quality when the spread is maybe a thousand bucks. But when the spread is several thousand, well, it gets harder. Im somewhat inclined to start saving for the Recaro and just toss a set of cheap seats in to get me by. My problem is that I want to change to a floor shifter and swap in a new steering column. Both those mods are held up until I can dump my bench seat.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 18, 1:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

The Procar/Scat seats are pretty decent, especially for the price. I've been eying a set for my 96 Impala SS. The leather seats in it are like love seats and you slide around too much. The Pro cars would keep my butt planted when I'm canyon carving. The other plus is I'll be able to preserve the pristine original seats. Usually, the seats come without the slider bases and those get spec'd out according to the car they are going into. So you have to add the frame cost (about $90.00) to the seat to get the total cost.

For the price I don't think they can be beat. They even make some with original style upholstery to mimic the types we have in our Chevelles.

https://procarbyscat.com/product-cat...ype/recliners/

I would prefer a set of Recaro's, but I don't want to spend that much and the only person I need to impress is myself.
Clint44 likes this.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 18, 2:19 AM
Clint

Hard to beat the Scat Procar seats, for the money. Lots of people have them in their car and I don't remember anyone ever complaining, about them.
I had leather Arizen Racing sport seats in my 69 El Camino. Cost was around $600/pair and they were pretty decent.

DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

Clint Hooper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 18, 10:05 AM
Tech Team
Jim

I've got the Scat Procar 90 seats in my 70, love them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle Interior.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	578570   Click image for larger version

Name:	hevelle Interior2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	578572  
shovelrick likes this.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 18, 10:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I bought a set of '12 camaro 6 way power seats with heat (not hooked up) $750 on ebay & adapter brackets were $127 they're made by Recaro I believe & nice leather
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CAM06510.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	578580   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181031_182023.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	578582   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM06582.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	578584   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM06580.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	578586  

Name:	CAM06583.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	578588  
blm and DUTCH MAX HEADWORK like this.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 18, 11:33 AM
Clint

Chevy's Cobalt SS came with Recaro seats, also. I've seen a few of those mounted in Chevelles and Elcos.

Clint Hooper

Sold

Sold
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 18, 12:29 AM
Tech Team

I’m missing something here, which Corbeau and Procar are you looking at for $2K?

Corbeau Sport are $600/pair, Scat Procar Elite etc are in the same range.

I’m looking in replacing my 66 bench with Corbeau Sport probably
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 18, 12:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
I bought a set of '12 camaro 6 way power seats with heat (not hooked up) $750 on ebay & adapter brackets were $127 they're made by Recaro I believe & nice leather
Hey now those are pretty sweet!!!

That and the Cobalt SS seats give me a few more options.

I need something to plant my butt. The SS Impala seats I have now have me sliding from side to side too much.
shovelrick likes this.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 18, 10:08 AM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

i have Corbeau GTSII in my Camaro. Surprisingly comfortable, but might not look it. Might look dinky and out of place in a bigger car. they are kinda narrow.

I have one procar 90 sitting in my garage, waiting to go in the Monte Carlo. Why 1? its easier to ship back 1 seat if i dont like it. But looking at V1rotates pic, i think they will be just fine. i am kind of hoping i can install them to fix the sitting too high, too close to the steering wheel, but too far away from the pedals thing i have going on now with the bench seat.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 18, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanniziomas View Post
Im missing something here, which Corbeau and Procar are you looking at for $2K?

Corbeau Sport are $600/pair, Scat Procar Elite etc are in the same range.

Im looking in replacing my 66 bench with Corbeau Sport probably
The Procar Im looking at are the Elite Lumbar in leather. Just a bit over $800.00 each without mounting brackets. Mounts are about $120 each. So right under $1,900.00. Corbeau A4 with bases, heaters, lumbar supports, and covers are about $1,600.00. If Im going to compare them to Recaros Im not going to shop for their cheapest models. I can easily find uncomfortable fixed back seats for even less than $600.00 per pair.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 18, 10:25 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70montee View Post
i have Corbeau GTSII in my Camaro. Surprisingly comfortable, but might not look it. Might look dinky and out of place in a bigger car. they are kinda narrow.

I have one procar 90 sitting in my garage, waiting to go in the Monte Carlo. Why 1? its easier to ship back 1 seat if i dont like it. But looking at V1rotates pic, i think they will be just fine. i am kind of hoping i can install them to fix the sitting too high, too close to the steering wheel, but too far away from the pedals thing i have going on now with the bench seat.
Dan
I think the Procar 90s look appropriate in the car, almost original but not quite, I find them very comfortable.
The mounting brackets give you three height positions, if you are tall, you will need to use the lowest position. I did that and I have plenty of headroom.

Jim
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 18, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Well... it is sounding like my beautox will be just fine planted in either a Corbeau or a Procar. At least no-one is reporting that theirs was an absolute pile of garbage. The extra few thousand dollars will be put to better uses. Thank you all for your input.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 18, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I went with Procar Rally 1000's as they really fit the muscle car look, and have some pretty big bolsters. Plus they are MUCH lighter than the stock buckets.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 440 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.