Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hotwire

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 18, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Seats

Has anybody put newer bucket seats in their 66 Chevelle? My car is bench seat and it is kind of bagged out, I have a lot of back issues I am thinking about going to the salvage yard and trying to find a set of bucket seats out of a newer vehicle that would fit without a lot of modifications as far as the mounting goes. I would prefer to go with something non-power as I don't feel like messing around with any wiring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 18, 11:05 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Re: Seats

I put a set of 07 maxima seats in my 64. They are the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in and love the way they feel. I do have to re-do my mounts as they're not 100% to my liking. The high back bucket looks a little weird in the car, but I'd jump in that car and drive across the country if I had to. (maybe with noise cancelling headphones and ear plugs)

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 18, 1:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

A Nissan /Chevrolet Hybrid..
Cool...

Auto Upholstery Trimmer since 1977
Palo Alto Upholstery 650 326 6414
1967 Chevelle Super Sport 4sp.
1953 Chevy Bel Air 4 door.
1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr Hard Top.
1968 Chevy C20 CST Longbed.
1967 Malibu 396 Powerglide.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 18, 2:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Malibu View Post
A Nissan /Chevrolet Hybrid..
Cool...
It's more comfortable than cool. I'd love to have the funds to do it right, but these were available at a good price, were in great shape, and feel incredible. Factory bench was falling apart and would have been on top of the shifter so I had to do something.

Had a shot of windshield trim but you can see how they sit.

Cal Malibu likes this.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 18, 3:22 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
It's more comfortable than cool. I'd love to have the funds to do it right, but these were available at a good price, were in great shape, and feel incredible. Factory bench was falling apart and would have been on top of the shifter so I had to do something.

Had a shot of windshield trim but you can see how they sit.

Did you go with the whole welding in the seat track to the pan, or just bolt them in?

I find the bench seat in my Monte Carlo kind of awkward. Im not a super tall guy, but i feel like i sit too high, too close to the steering wheel, and too far away from the pedals. i have been thinking buckets could lower me down some, and maybe cure some of these issues.

I'm wondering how "wrong" it is to just bolt some sweet buckets to the floor pan and ditch the bench. When i got the car, the bench was ridiculously close to the steering wheel. i made a new seat track that the bench sits on, to get it to go back further. Kind of amazed for as big of a car as it is, there really isnt leg room in the back. not that im concerned about me sitting in the back anytime soon.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 18, 3:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70montee View Post
Did you go with the whole welding in the seat track to the pan, or just bolt them in?

I find the bench seat in my Monte Carlo kind of awkward. Im not a super tall guy, but i feel like i sit too high, too close to the steering wheel, and too far away from the pedals. i have been thinking buckets could lower me down some, and maybe cure some of these issues.

I'm wondering how "wrong" it is to just bolt some sweet buckets to the floor pan and ditch the bench. When i got the car, the bench was ridiculously close to the steering wheel. i made a new seat track that the bench sits on, to get it to go back further. Kind of amazed for as big of a car as it is, there really isnt leg room in the back. not that im concerned about me sitting in the back anytime soon.
I'm 6'1", 230, have the seats so far back I about have to use my tip toe to hit the high beams. I swapped the rear bracket on the track (welded bracket to track) and bolted them in. Front mounts work, had to use 1/2" spacer on right front mount. Like I said, I'll have to redo the mounts at some point as the seats aren't sitting 100% straight up, they both lean towards the center of the car. The seat pans are pretty contoured in our cars so getting the seats level and straight is a little challenge. But again, comfortable as can be. Got them from the local pull a part for $50/ea. Luckily went on the day new cars were put out, otherwise people pull them and triple their money on craigslist with them.

Existing pic I had of the dash, you can see how much leg room I have now, little room in the backseat though.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 18, 5:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

'12 camaro leather buckets in my 68 Malibu, 6 way power on drv side (wife's 5' tall) with adapter bracket from ebay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM06510.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	575080   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM06582.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	575082   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM06519.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	575084   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM06520.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	575086  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM06587.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	575088  

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 18, 6:23 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Maybe you could acquire some bucket seats of your choosing and then use either some repo.tracks or original tracks and the weld in Chevelle bucket mounts as may be less hassle getting them to fit with the contour of your floor pan.
Most modern seats in all but base model cars are power. If you can adapt Chevelle tracks to modern seats you probably could bypass the power issue.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 18, 8:40 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Thanks for all the replies, went to the yard yesterday looking like I may try seats from a Chevy Cobalt 2 door, my friend runs the place he said I could take a seat and try it in the Chevelle. These seats have a removable headrest which I think I would remove and have the seats recovered with vinyl to make them look more authentic? I think it would be neat to put the original style seat medallions on the seats once they're recovered also.I will see what it takes to mount them I will keep you posted, thanks again.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 18, 8:54 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

If you are going to use those seats and as long as you are going to have them recovered might think a out having them done in same pattern as 66 seats. If memory serves correct your car is more on the original side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 369 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.