• 1 Post By paul bell

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Console Top Plate Mount Repair

On a 68-72 console. About half of the plastic mounting holes on my console are stripped out. Has anyone come up with a way to repair or retap those mounting holes?
I assume one could fill the existing holes with epoxy or something else and then just drill a hole smaller than the mounting screws.
Another possible fix that I am considering is bonding a thin piece of aluminum to the underside of the mount that has a predrilled hole hole in it to accept the mounting screw.
Not even sure what are the correct screws. Mine are a mixture of fine threads and threads like a sheet metal screw. I assume the fine thread are the correct screws and as those mount holes failed those screws were replaced with the more aggressive threaded screws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 10:30 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Console Top Plate Mount Repair

Drop into the hole a one inch length of 16 gauge wire with insulation. Then run in the screw.
71350SS likes this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Does anyone know who offers the correct screws? An old thread said AMK had them #B11558 but those are out of stock.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 11:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

I have put a drop of epoxy into the hole as you run the screw in. I think they are supposed to be a coarse trim screw, like is used everywhere else on the console.
Whatever fix you do, I have found that eventually they will strip as its 50 yr old plastic.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
700R4
This is how we roll:

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 11:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Does anyone know who offers the correct screws? An old thread said AMK had them #B11558 but those are out of stock.
https://www.jegs.com/i/RestoParts/759/97CH030/10002/-1

69SS Daytona yellow
L35, M-20, 3.73

"AC's 2 by 75...... you roll'em down & drive

"Time treats everybody like a fool"
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Thanks for the Jegs reference, but if that photo is the actual contents of the kit, which I assume it is then that kit does not contain the top plate screws.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 11:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Thanks for the Jegs reference, but if that photo is the actual contents of the kit, which I assume it is then that kit does not contain the top plate screws.
The information on that page says it covers the top plate. Those screws should be the small black ones in the picture (the ones on the bottom row) - they look just like the screws on my '71 console top plate.

If you view it on the actual company webpage, you can enlarge the picture to see the screws better:

https://www.restoparts.com/product.asp?item=97CH030

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

I could be wrong but those screws look like pan head screws and they are showing 9 of them. The top plate screws are oval head and should be 6 of them?
If they are the screws then they are fine thread. Guess I could call them to confirm?

Bart: guess I am wrong as those are an OPG item. One review of that kit on the OPG site says they are exact copies of the screws for their 70 Chevelle console.

Last edited by blm; Jul 1st, 18 at 12:45 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 1:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Garage

I went the epoxy route when I fixed mine, I had no screws to compare, so I just went with that screw kit. Went back together and looks good

69SS Daytona yellow
L35, M-20, 3.73

"AC's 2 by 75...... you roll'em down & drive

"Time treats everybody like a fool"
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 4:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Here are some original screws. They have a fine thread. The look different than the ones in the link to me. I use JB Kwik weld to fill the holes. Then I re drill them. Put the top plate in place as a template to do the drilling. Put masking tape on the bottom sides of the holes so that it does not just drip out the bottom.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/olp/...tor/attach.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM003393.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	569225  

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 2:06 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Ok, finally got around to repairing this. Well kind of repairing it.
First I acquired the correct screws in a screw kit #97CH030 from Summit Racing. Think it's an OPG item sold through Summit.
Wanted to try the least invasive first. So I tried wrapping the screw threads with Teflon tape. That didn't work. So I got some thin copper wire (about .0020 thick) and cut into pieces about 2 inches long. Just bent them into a U shape and hung one piece over each of the six plastic screw holes in the console. Worked great. This is pretty much what Paul suggested.
I'm sure the JB Weld would of worked but this was much easier. Pretty sure it will hold till it is taken apart then worst case will just have to replace the wires.

Last edited by blm; Sep 1st, 19 at 2:34 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 2:13 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
The wire
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190901_134341_1567361615937.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	602128  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 5:17 PM
Tech Team
Casey

Garage

Apply equal force in opposite directions! and Viola!

1968 Malibu sport coupe to go with
my Barbie wife of the same year!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 11:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

I've rebuilt consoles, grilles, holes, steering wheels, etc. With JB Weld. It's amazing stuff and harder and stronger than the original plastic.

You can rebuilt the supports and trim,shape them with dremel.

Aluminum foil, the Reynolds type, is great for shaping, patterns, and moulding also.

Repaint.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in