• 1 Post By 70CHEVELLE396
  • 1 Post By 70CHEVELLE396
  • 1 Post By 72soft-top

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 18, 3:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jay

1970 Chevelle SS AC Heater Control

I have a 1970 Chevelle SS w/ Air-Conditioning. My existing Lexan AC Heater control panel has what appears to be a black vinyl backer that was badly wrinkled. The dash light did illuminate the control panel with the old black backer. While having my lower dash housing restored I had the shop replace the black vinyl backer for the AC Heater control panel with a reproduction black backer. The new black backer does not illuminate the AC Heater control face at night. The light bulb for the AC Heater control is working.

My question is does it matter which side of the black backer should face the control panel? I would hate to take the control panel apart again to find out that the orientation of the black backer does not have a preference.

Jay

1970 Chevelle SS L-34
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 18, 4:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Re: 1970 Chevelle SS AC Heater Control

Correct me if I am wrong. The bulb lights up the plastic panel. When I did my 70 with A/C, I cut out a piece of thin black paper ( like kids art paper)and used it.
Many different candle power bulbs in dashes. Just make sure you have the right bulb. Behind the plastic control cover mine was VERY wrinkled, Looked ugly. The Xacto knife and some black art paper worked out well.
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 18, 10:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Garage

I replaced mine a couple years ago. Mine illuminated just fine, I donít remember if there was one different side than the other, but I canít imagine there would be. Hereís a couple pics of mine, and yes the bulb just illuminates the plastic panel, which has the words printed on it if I remember correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	853D83B3-53B7-42FC-902A-78D446FC78EE.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	563929   Click image for larger version

Name:	C0EA30D8-5D3B-4077-B90F-8F9D6A5DEAE7.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	563937  
HKalin likes this.

70 Chevelle, Vortecpro 496, TH400, Moser 12 bolt, custom Tom's Eaton posi, 3.73, UMI/Viking front suspension, PMT rear. Sniper efi, RobbMc PowerSurge.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 18, 1:26 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

The black backing should only go on one way but when I replaced mine down on the bulb end you may have to trim it a bit shorter to let the light come around onto the clear plastic better.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 18, 5:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Garage

Yes, and I believe thatís why there is a small gap on the bulb side, to let the light come through.
HKalin likes this.

70 Chevelle, Vortecpro 496, TH400, Moser 12 bolt, custom Tom's Eaton posi, 3.73, UMI/Viking front suspension, PMT rear. Sniper efi, RobbMc PowerSurge.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 18, 10:23 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
The black backing should only go on one way but when I replaced mine down on the bulb end you may have to trim it a bit shorter to let the light come around onto the clear plastic better.
Hank

Does your panel illuminate well? Have been trying to figure out why mine doesn't light up for S---- for a long time. I am sure the "paper" inside the housing is not to long so it is not in need of training as you mention you had to do. Is there something about the "blue" coating on the far right end of the plastic lens that effects illumination? Looking at the location of the bulb in the A/C panel housing the light generated by the bulb has to be somehow reflected across the face of the control panel to light up all the control panel surface.

I gotta say this has been bugging me for some time and I hope someone can shed some light (pun intended) on this illumination question.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 18, 10:49 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman View Post
Hank

Does your panel illuminate well? Have been trying to figure out why mine doesn't light up for S---- for a long time. I am sure the "paper" inside the housing is not to long so it is not in need of training as you mention you had to do. Is there something about the "blue" coating on the far right end of the plastic lens that effects illumination? Looking at the location of the bulb in the A/C panel housing the light generated by the bulb has to be somehow reflected across the face of the control panel to light up all the control panel surface.

I gotta say this has been bugging me for some time and I hope someone can shed some light (pun intended) on this illumination question.
Ray, I have only had my car out a few times at night. Recently I went to a cruise and returned home after dark. I was saying the same thing about the dash lights they don't illuminate for $hit and that's with my Autometer Cluster. I think in the area of the heater controls it's even worse. On the clear plastic insert of the heater control if I remember correctly down on the end where the bulb is the plastic is cut on a angle not square to get the light to reflect thru the plastic. When I first put it back together after changing the black backing and the lens I thought the bulb was burnt out which I had just replaced. I pulled it back apart and felt the black backing was too long on the bulb end causing the light not to be reflected thru the plastic. I think I cut about a 1/8" off that end of the black backing and the light came thru but nothing like the new cars for brightness. I think some have gone with LED bulbs for better illumination.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 19, 5:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
I pulled it back apart and felt the black backing was too long on the bulb end causing the light not to be reflected thru the plastic. I think I cut about a 1/8" off that end of the black backing and the light came thru but nothing like the new cars for brightness. I think some have gone with LED bulbs for better illumination.
Had the same issue with no lights on my heater controls. Bulb was good, just not illuminating the lense. Just cut off an 1/8” of the Black backing on the bulb side. I now have lighting at the controls.
HKalin likes this.

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 19, 7:03 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72soft-top View Post
Had the same issue with no lights on my heater controls. Bulb was good, just not illuminating the lense. Just cut off an 1/8Ē of the Black backing on the bulb side. I now have lighting at the controls.
Guys I have an additional question to throw into the mix here. My car has white face instruments and I purchased a white face (black letters on a white field) insert for the heater / AC control panel in order to match the . Not sure anyone is gonna be able to answer this but could the white backing be screwing me up? I have left this issue for "someday" as I have other fish to fry but seeing that the 1/8 inch cut made a difference I might move the priority up to "Someday soon" for the panel illumination problem. Any thoughts?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 19, 7:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

I think that white face with black lettering should work? You just need to make sure the light passes into the lense at the bevel cut on the right side.

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in