1Likes
  • 1 Post By darksky

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 17, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Garage
Opinion of these speakers?

I'm putting in an aftermarket stereo and wondering if anyone has used these speakers under the front seats. I'm looking for ideas on speakers. I'm having Vintage Air installed, so I'm not sure if any of the available kick panel speaker systems will work. I'm not opposed to cutting holes in the door panels, but wondering if there is room in the doors. Thanks for any and all advice.

Undercover Speakers, Pair, 120W: Classic Car Stereos

67 Chevelle Malibu, ZZ4 350 crate engine, TH350, FiTech EFI, Vintage Air, Dakota HDX dash, FlowMaster exhaust,
17" Rally style wheels, Redline tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 12:10 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Re: Opinion of these speakers?

I wouldn't go to crazy on audio, these cars are noisy going down the road..

I removed all my stuff and just use one Blaupunkt 4 way 6x9 in mono running off a small Blaupunkt amp.. My car has a quiet exhaust too...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 1:52 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
I wouldn't go to crazy on audio, these cars are noisy going down the road..

I removed all my stuff and just use one Blaupunkt 4 way 6x9 in mono running off a small Blaupunkt amp.. My car has a quiet exhaust too...
Yes I know they are noisy, especially with the Flowmaster exhaust a previous owner installed. Still, I want some tunes in it for those times I'm cruising with the windows up, and enjoying my soon to be installed Vintage Air A/C. Oh wait... even though the A/C will be installed soon I won't be using it until next summer!
hydro462 likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu, ZZ4 350 crate engine, TH350, FiTech EFI, Vintage Air, Dakota HDX dash, FlowMaster exhaust,

Last edited by davewho1; Dec 6th, 17 at 3:16 AM. Reason: fixed quote

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 4:26 AM
Tech Team
Rame

Garage

I tried full range speakers under the seats and it kinda does a weird thing, kinda sounds like you have a radio playing in your closet and it throws off the sound from the dash speakers, just kinda gives the vocals a weird muddy under tone. Everyone would ask if I had a busted speaker, If it was just a bass speaker I'd say go for it. But I think you would be alot happier putting them in the doors or the rear deck. You can also take a look at these https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--295-380 you would be surprised at the sound they can put out and they are very small, very easy to hide somewhere in the car.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 7:40 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Unless you have an amp to power them they will sound like caca. I have 6" in the door panel and 6x9's on the rear deck. Nothing fancy just 2 ways and no amp powered by 50w per channel Kenwood.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 7:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
Unless you have an amp to power them they will sound like caca. I have 6" in the door panel and 6x9's on the rear deck. Nothing fancy just 2 ways and no amp powered by 50w per channel Kenwood.
Thanks to all for the opinions on the underseat speakers, kind of what I suspected. I realized tucked away in a forgotten closet I have a pair of 5 1/4" a/d/s component speakers. I had them in several different vehicles and last used them about 12 years ago. I'm going to bench test them to see if they still work, they did when last removed. Back in the 80's when I bought them new, they were considered premium automotive speakers and they sound great with or without an amp. I'm also going to be using a Kenwood 50w x4 unit in my Chevelle.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 8:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kim

Garage

It depends on a few things-
A- what are your expectations?
B- what's your budget?
C- How much are you willing to cut your car up for a stereo?
Your ADS speakers, although awesome when new, are probably dryrotted and shot. I'd be really surprised if they aren't. And the technology in making a decent speaker at a reasonable price is real. If you know someone that does quality installations, have a talk with them and get their input. Although these cars are pretty much a rolling echo chamber, you can get a decent stereo in them with a little effort and not a ton of bucks.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 17, 9:49 PM
Tech Team
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksky View Post
Thanks to all for the opinions on the underseat speakers, kind of what I suspected. I realized tucked away in a forgotten closet I have a pair of 5 1/4" a/d/s component speakers. I had them in several different vehicles and last used them about 12 years ago. I'm going to bench test them to see if they still work, they did when last removed. Back in the 80's when I bought them new, they were considered premium automotive speakers and they sound great with or without an amp. I'm also going to be using a Kenwood 50w x4 unit in my Chevelle.

ADS speakers are great. Sounds like you got the 320's. Far superier to what you were looking at. If you need them repaired, contact this guy:
www.adsspeakerservice.com
He was an engineer with ADS and has many of the original parts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 17, 1:45 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

I got the ADS speakers I'd forgotten about out of the closet and they actually look ok. I'll find out when I get them bench tested. They are 320i speakers. I even found the original owners manual for them on the internet. Amazing how thorough the manual is ... a couple dozen pages!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 17, 2:01 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldfart View Post
ADS speakers are great. Sounds like you got the 320's. Far superier to what you were looking at. If you need them repaired, contact this guy:
www.adsspeakerservice.com
He was an engineer with ADS and has many of the original parts.
Your link doesn't work.

Never heard of ADS speakers. Were they a good brand?

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 17, 3:54 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

Here's the correct link:
ADS Speaker Repair Service - Richard So Electronics - We are selling ads stuff on Ebay under the store name ADS-Speakers *CLICK HERE FOR OUR EBAY STORE (http:stores.ebay.comADS-Speakers_rdc1) * We accept Paypal, Credit card, Personal or Money orde

Yes, ADS actually it's "a/d/s" speakers were a premium brand back in the 80's. I bought them from a high-end stereo shop along with a Nakamichi head unit (another premium brand of the time). I wish I could remember how much I paid for the speakers, but I remember they were not cheap!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 809 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.