Chevelle Tech - View Single Post - Spring Removal - Step By Step - With Pictures
View Single Post
post #30 of (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 09, 11:49 AM
Philip
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by von View Post
As the spring pushes the lower A-arm down, the A-arm swings to an angle with the floor jack and starts putting a side load on the floor jack's wheels. I've had the floor jack suddenly slide sideways and release the spring at once.
That is because the jack is in the wrong spot. It should be be under the lower ball joint with the wheels facing the travel of the arm. I also completely remove the spindle prior to lowering the control arm so as not to have to deal with the weight and mass of it while lowering the arm. If just changing the spring and nothing else it can be left attached to the upper arm and tied up out of the way. A chain wrapped through the shock hole in the lower arm, through the coil and attached to itself under the lower arm will give the safety required if something goes wrong, but honestly in 40 years of wrenching and removing springs from 50 or so cars and trucks none have ever "shot across the shop", most times after lowering the arm I had to pry them out of the arm and frame.
If you are removing original springs they are usually sagged enough to not pose a safety hazard. I removed the springs from my Nova this past weekend without the engine in the car with out any need to chain the jack to the frame. If you really want to safely remove the spring and it is not going to be reused cut a piece of the coil out before starting, now you do not have any tension to deal with. The spring in the photo was cut to remove the front suspension on a 72 El Camino with the body off the frame. Was it necessary, maybe not but it made the job easier and safer to perform. I can not stress safety enough in all we do, but there is a point where some have gone way beyond what is necessary and in doing so make the task harder then it needs to be. It would be like wearing 2 pair of safety glasses cause one might fail.

In the next few months I will be changing the springs in 72. They are new, not sagging or weak, but did not give the ride height I was looking for. I'll have Mary video tape the procedure to show the ease of spring removal when performed correctly and safely.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Philip; Apr 23rd, 09 at 2:08 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome