68 Concours Sport Sedan - Chevelle Tech
2003 General Tech Forum from 2003

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 04, 8:38 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Kindof a simple question, but

How can we identify a car is a 68 Concours Sport Sedan rather than a 68 Malibu? Does the VIN or any body features give this away ?

1968 - When cars were built not made
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 04, 8:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

probably, if you go to the Tag Team forum a little down the page and post the VIN and cowl plate info, someone here can/will decode it for you. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 04, 4:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

I was assuming you was looking for a Canadian model but I don't see a Concours Sport Sedan listed here:

http://cdnclassics.chevelles.net/canmodel.htm#68

The only U.S. Concours model that I can find is a station wagon not a sport sedan.

66 El Camino 396/325HP 4-Spd
My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

62 Corvette 327/360HP (original RF engine and Fuel Injection) (future restoration project)
66 Corvair My son's project. Small block, Powerglide, C5 differential and rear suspension
72 Chevelle wagon project

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 04, 6:10 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

As Bruce said, the only Concours model is the wagon. There was an upscale Concours trim option on the Malibu but I don't know if it'd be identified on the trim tag or not but I'd doubt it since the tag only gives model/series such as 13637 (Malibu V8 sport coupe), interior trim code, paint code, etc. There is nothing listed in GM's 'Model Reference Chart' for a separate model (except the wagon).

Here is a picture of one I found on the Internet. Note the 'Concours' script on the fender.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 04, 9:07 PM
wagons rule!
Pete

Location: In the Beautiful mountains of western North Carolina
i would think that the sport sedan would have had the post between the side windows where as the malibu would not.

btw FO_FDYFO is ebonics for four fifty four.

Web Master,
wagon parts and info only at
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 04, 9:57 PM
Team Member
Dave

Sport Sedans are all hardtops, Malibu or Coucours. I know this

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 04, 3:29 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Unfortunately, 'sedan', 'coupe', and 'hardtop' are often used interchangably. Even by GM. They call the 67 4-door (what I'd call hardtop - no post) a sport sedan.

It's all marketing hype anyway.

According to my 3rd edition American Heritage Dictionary:
Sedan - a closed automobile having two or four doors and a front and rear seat.
Coupe - a closed two-door automobile.
Hardtop - an automobile designed to look like a convertible but having a rigidly fixed, hard top.

Personally, I call a car a "Coupe" that's like a 40's to 50's Ford/Chevrolet that has a short roofline and may or may not have a back seat...like a 40 Ford coupe or early 50's Ford Club Coupe.

A "Sedan" would be the long roof version of the same car with a post between the front and rear passenger side windows.

A "Hardtop" would be like the sedan but without the post.

But, GM (as an example) calls the 13817-type 67 Chevelle Super Sport a 'Sport Coupe' and not a hardtop, while they call the 4-door (no-post) a 'Sport Sedan' and simply a 'sedan' if it has the post.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 04, 11:23 AM
Tech Team

I have a HUGE collection of factory press photos of these years. I have both a Malibu Sport Sedan and a Concours Sport Sedan, take a look:
http://members.roadfly.com/jim_rohn/68concours.jpg
http://members.roadfly.com/jim_rohn/...sportsedan.jpg

Malibu is supposed to be model 13639, can't find Concours model number, but it was an extra $135 in 1968.

Reviewing my 68 sales brochure brings this info:

interior, custom seat belts, special upholstery not avail with any other model (looks like Caprice seats, door panels and dash). Other pictures show a unique rear tail panel (again, reminds ME of the 66 Caprice rear deck trim) & hidden wipers. Text describes: "On the outside, special black-accented wheel opening and lower body side moldings ..." & " ... special insulation is used throughout to give you an uncommonly silent ride."

I found info in 60 years of Chevrolet, says (for 69 anyway) that Concours was avail on ALL Malibu models $135 extra and included wheel discs, heavy chrome rockers and other distinctive trim items, probably an interior trim level difference too.

Shamless plug:

Please contact me if you are looking for one of these press photos or sales brochures, have them for Chevelles, Chevrolet, El Camino from 1964-1976 (have sold a lot on ebay, not all models left avail)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 04, 2:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

OK, I guess it takes a 66 or 67 guy to find out something about 68s.

My resources for 68 are limited but I found some information in this Catalog of Chevelle, Malibu & El Camino ID Numbers 1964 - 87.

Apparently, Concours was an option (U.S.) in 68 and 69. It was an option on the Malibu line in both years the same way that the SS396 (RPO Z25) was an option on the various models in 69.

I found the following listings, but am not certain how to interpret them:

Special Sport Sedan........ZJ6
Concours Sedan ............ZK5
Concours Sport Sedan.......ZK6
Concours Sport Coupe.......ZK7

I found a picture of a 69 Concours Sport Sedan on the back cover of an old issue of the Chevelle Report. The ID Number book lists, Special Sport Sedan....ZJ6, as an option that year, but doesn't mention the other 3 RPOs that I found in 1968.

Perhaps someone with a 1968 dealer album could shed some light on this information.

Quote:
How can we identify a car is a 68 Concours Sport Sedan rather than a 68 Malibu? Does the VIN or any body features give this away ?
The answer to this question probably is that you need documentation such as a build sheet that would reference one of the listed RPOs. Other than emblems on the front fenders, perhaps an interior code on the trim tag might be proof if the Concours included an upscale interior that was not available on the basic Malibu Sport Sedan. If you will, give us all the information off of the trim tag and the VIN. I do have some interior code information for 68 that might help if I had the trim tag info.

66 El Camino 396/325HP 4-Spd
My Build Thread:

62 Corvette 327/360HP (original RF engine and Fuel Injection) (future restoration project)
66 Corvair My son's project. Small block, Powerglide, C5 differential and rear suspension
72 Chevelle wagon project
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 07, 4:51 PM

Re: 68 Concours Sport Sedan

Maybe this will help, I have 68 Concours 2 dr. The VIN and Protecta Plate have no mention of Concours Option. The only possible mention is in the Body number plate (cowl tag). Under TR (interior trim) I have a 765 which when decoded means 2 separate things 1) Concours trim 2) Black Malibu trim, unfortunatley the 765 designation can mean one of those two things. The Concours option was added to the Malibu class, so basically the base model was Malibu with Concours option. Concours option chevelles were a luxury line, other than SS which was the performance option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4830 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.