LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 04, 5:22 PM
Tech Team
Deon

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by SIDEWINDER:
AC
Your right I did have insurance, I thought I made that point clear in my initial posting, but $15k sure cant replace the few years of blood, sweat, and tears that I put into that car just to have it ripped off by some lazy bastards. Plus I am still going to be out $3k for the stuff that I put on but didnt bother to up the insurance, thats my fault.

About the guys that had their car ripped off and had no insurance, I dont feel bad for them at all. If you can afford to buy a Chevelle, put a few grand, or even a few hundred bucks, but not insure the damn thing... well thats their own damn fault. Insurance on my car for the stated value was $112 a year, now if you cant afford that you probably should own a muscle car. Now Im sure there are cases where the dudes insurance lapsed but still the insurance for these cars is not a pricey thing.
I unfortunately live in a state that has some screwed up insurance rules and don't have many choices. Its due to the fact if you insure 1 driver you have to be able to insure them all. Rates are high and not alot of companies to choose from. In fact I just found out that the company I currently use has too much liablility in the state so they are going to be raising rates to make people move to other companies. NICE!

Sorry to hear about your loss. I understand that the cash dont mean much to the effort.

72 Chevelle, 454, TH400, 3:73's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 04, 5:57 PM
JWA
Administrator
Jeff

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by SIDEWINDER:
AC
Your right I did have insurance, I thought I made that point clear in my initial posting, but $15k sure cant replace the few years of blood, sweat, and tears that I put into that car just to have it ripped off by some lazy bastards. Plus I am still going to be out $3k for the stuff that I put on but didnt bother to up the insurance, thats my fault.

About the guys that had their car ripped off and had no insurance, I dont feel bad for them at all. If you can afford to buy a Chevelle, put a few grand, or even a few hundred bucks, but not insure the damn thing... well thats their own damn fault. Insurance on my car for the stated value was $112 a year, now if you cant afford that you probably should own a muscle car. Now Im sure there are cases where the dudes insurance lapsed but still the insurance for these cars is not a pricey thing.
Unfortunately not everyone qualifies for the type of coverage like Hagerty supplies. They have some rules that can easily disqualify some people and not because people can't afford it:
1.) Got have a garage and the car should be in it. Was yours stolen out of your storage?
2.) Got to be 25
3.) Got to have a covered daily driver less than 10 years old insured through a regular insurance company for everyone who is a licensed driver in the household.
4.)Shouldn't drive the car to work.
5.) Shouldn't leave the car out at night.
6.) If driven the car shouldn't be left unattended at any time.

Sure leaves them some pretty good loop holes to deny coverage if they choose. Glad your situation is covered. Good Luck.

Gold Founding Member #158

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The TC Search >>

TC photo >>
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 04, 11:45 PM

hmmm... when I looked at Hagerty's website, and got a quote from them, it didn't say anything about that. I stated that it was a daily driver that I would drive more than 5000+ miles a year, didn't have an alternate vehicle, and they didn't ask about a garage. The coverage they quoted me was still only 220 a year. Pretty cheap for some extra insurance. I would get that in addition to the insurance I already have through Geico.

Is that something they tell you on their policy forms when you go to sign them, or is that listed somewhere else on their site?

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 04, 1:32 AM Thread Starter

I had a very easy time getting the Chevelle insured. The restraints they do put on is how many miles you put on in a year and where it is stored. I had an incident where some dumb ass threw a rock through the back window. I came clean with Hagertey and told them thats where the car was being stored because I had no other garage and they had no problem with it, I hope its that easy this time.

You all bring up a good point, that not everything is the same everywhere for everyone. I apologize for the blanket statement I made in my earlier post. If I had not had my 83 Civic, I would not have been able to get insurance on either the Chevelle or the Caprice, and that means that I would have ended up with just reciepts and not a check from the insurance company (right now I havent gotten the check yet, Im not counting my eggs before their hatched).

Thanks again

Nicholas
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 04, 6:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Welcome to the club, I had my 72 Elky stolen in may of 03 and it still hasnt been found. Unfortunitely I hadnt even gotten the title for it and thus didnt insure it.

Lost 1500 dollars that I am SOl. Took forever to earn that.

As for the cops, they dont give a rats a ss about this stuff.

Car wasnt even running, had to have been towed away. Bastards.

Chris R.

Chris.

When the Boogeyman goes to bed, he checks the closet for Chuck Norris.

If it aint broke, just give me a minute.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 04, 7:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dennis

Chris, that is interesting because when my camino was down having the top-end over overhauled someone tried to steal it. They must have known the car because they pushed it around the corner so I wouldn't hear it. The cops knocked on the door at 2:30AM to ask why I left my car in the middle of the road 2 blocks away. HAHA stupid car thieves, I got it back. I hope there is a special place in HELL for you #%#$^%#%^

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
Thomas Jefferson
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 04, 7:54 PM Thread Starter

Dennis

Same here. We have a camera watching the alley where the Chevelle was stolen. We saw them push the car down the alley and either start it on the next street, or put it on a flatbed.

Nick
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 04, 3:49 AM
Tech Team

God do I know how you feel, Nick. Several years ago my '81 Corvette was ripped off never to be found again. It was insured but you do feel like you've been intruded upon and you're totally helpless. I had a '65 Vette stolen too but miraculously it was recovered 2 days later. Fortunately it wasn't stripped because it ran out of gas and they had to abandon it. You see I had a locking gas cap on it! It had about $300 of minor damage and I had a rare '65 BB intake manifold stored in the back that was missing. The car was temporarily uninsured because it wasn't being driven and considering that I just felt damn lucky that at least I got my car back. Ironically, I found that intake 5 years later at a swap meet and I knew it was mine because it had a one of a kind imperfection that I recognized.
Which brings me to an interesting story. A buddy of mine had his red Triumph stolen (I don't remember what year it was) It was his special sports car and he'd put a lot into it and it was not insured! He saved up enough bucks to buy
another Triumph but he swore that some day he would find his car. Anyway, a couple of years go by & he's cruising a neighborhood at the other end of town when he spots this red Triumph parked on the street. The red paint was pretty oxidized & he stops to look at it out of curiosity. There was somthing about the door panel that he knew it was his car. This guy who had stolen it from him had never registered it of course and he had been driving it all the time. The slime ball admitted all this to my buddy! Mike is 6'4 and about 240 and he's really pissed. Well, he beat the **** out of the guy & then went on his way. He didn't bother to recover the car because it wasn't the same anymore. He told me that he busted up the guy
so bad that he definitely would have to go to the hospital & Mike didn't want to get arrested for assault & battery. Nothing came of it and Mike is
a muscular guy who doesn't throw his weight around
but he told me that it was the only time in his life that he got so much pleasure out of beating
someone up!
I wish you the best & you recover your car. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 04, 8:58 PM
Tech Team
Jim

A few years ago my cousin had his brand new Blazer stolen right out of his driveway. Several months later, he was walking down a street near where he worked and he saw the Blazer idling unoccupied in front of a Donut shop. He looked around to see if he could find the theif, but there was no one around so he hopped in the truck and drove it away. It was kind of messed up, but he fixed it and drove it into the ground.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 04, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Rain Man

Yeah Ive also known a few guys who have had their cherry rides taken and never seen again, or maybe in pieces at a swap meet. You are definately lucky to the the '65 Corvette back, that one would sting for me.

Jim

Great story, kinda made me laugh that he was able to just jump into his truck and take it back. What luck. I had the idea to do the same with the Chevelle if I found it, but I figured that if I did that would be the day the cops spotted it and they would pull me over and have a swat team comming down on me!!! HA HA HA, that would suck. NO REALLY OFFICERS ITS MY CAR, I JUST FOUND IT!!!

Guys just an update on the Chevelle. This weekend a cowoker saw the Chevelle on the hook heading east on I-70 getting onto I-225 south heading in to Aurora, about fifteen miles east of Denver. He said that the the tow truck didnt have any plates on it or have any company name on it, just a old Chevy pickup. Unfortunately he said that he didnt think it was my car untill today when I confirmed some of the stuff he saw on the Chevelle. He also said that the Cragars were replaced with mismatched steel wheels. So close yet so far.

Nick
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 04, 8:34 AM
Rad

"""About the guys that had their car ripped off and had no insurance, I dont feel bad for them at all. If you can afford to buy a Chevelle, put a few grand, or even a few hundred bucks, but not insure the damn thing... well thats their own damn fault. Insurance on my car for the stated value was $112 a year, now if you cant afford that you probably should own a muscle car. Now Im sure there are cases where the dudes insurance lapsed but still the insurance for these cars is not a pricey thing""". .................................................. ..................whats that supposed to mean.. im 18 and my insurance companies are putting me thrugh hell when it comes to the premium on my insurance.. my chevelle isnt perfect.. worth under 5 grand and i still pay over 3 grand a year for insurance!! i had my car broken into 3 times.. now im scared to sleep.. i sit by the window and watch it now.. not all of us have money for insurance especially us younger people. i have no ****ing garage, i live with my parents and i work on my chevelle outside in the FREEZING temperatures just to keep me from driving an import.. i keep getting robbed, and often im in pain from the temperatures but im proud of my chevelle.. i didnt have insurance on it till just recently because i have trouble making the 3 grand a year payment!!!!!!
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 04, 9:58 AM Thread Starter

Man take a chill pill, if you read a little further I apologized in the next posting. When I bought the Chevelle I was about 19, Im only 24 not much older than you, and I was going through the same thing. The insurance company wants to rape you on coverage for the Chevelle. So what I did was just park the Chevelle untill I could afford insurance, or a daily driver. Now like I said I could have been one of the guys with their car parked and then stolen but I guess I was lucky, or not because the Chevelle was hugely ugly looking then and I really wasnt worried if it did get stolen because I only had the purchase price invested ($2k). Luckily I was able to find a 1983 Civic that was in great shape for only $150, so I bought that and had my daily driver. Now as far as not driving an import, its not that bad if you get an old one its almost like driving the Chevelle with out the sound, power, or size. Now if the Civic finally died out I would definately look for another old one, or buy a newer one.

Nick
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 04, 10:38 AM
Tech Team

Getting off the main topic a little.
When you say your Ins. cost $112.00 a year or $3000.00 per year. Is that full coverage?
On my insurance most of the cost is liablity 100k/300k/100k. The part that covers my Chevelle is only $160. per year with $200. deductible on the collision.

Good luck Nick, I hope you get your Chevelle back, If not I hope the Ins. Co. will cover most of the pain.

Bob J.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 05, 8:26 PM Thread Starter

Re: STOLEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Johnson
Getting off the main topic a little.
When you say your Ins. cost $112.00 a year or $3000.00 per year. Is that full coverage?
On my insurance most of the cost is liablity 100k/300k/100k. The part that covers my Chevelle is only $160. per year with $200. deductible on the collision.

Good luck Nick, I hope you get your Chevelle back, If not I hope the Ins. Co. will cover most of the pain.

Bob J.
At the time I was only paying $112 a year on the Chevelle for a $15k agreed replacement value. I guess that would be full coverage. Try hagerty.com good insurance, even though they wont cover my Caprice since the Chevelle was stolen.

Thanks, but I never got the Chevelle back. I dont think I ever will, but thank God I had insurance on it, I was able to use that as a down payment on a home! Most people arent that lucky.

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5376 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.