unsolved vibrations - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
2003 General Tech Forum from 2003

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 03, 12:59 AM
Tech Team

[QUOTE]Originally posted by don:
[QB] The only thing I am not sure about is the Yoke on the rear end. How do I check it with a dial indicator? Shoud I put it on the yoke or driveshaft?
[QB]
I'd see if you can jack the rear up (on stands of course) and mount the dial indicator to the rear end housing or to a very sturdy stand that will place the tip on the shaft of the yoke. You can rotate the tire slowly to see if the yoke is true, or if it has been bent.
A bent yoke would certainly make a bad vibration.

Just for grins I'll add this quick note (it may or may not apply):
I had a '74 Porsche 911 that had such a severe vibration in the front end at 65-90MPH that I had to hold the wheel with both hands. I balanced the wheels, checked for warped rotors, loose parts, etc. for weeks before I figured it out.
The locking lugnuts were so much heavier than the other factory lugs, that they created an imbalance undetectable at moderate speed. I had 2-3 diferent mechanics test drive the car and none of them could figure it out. As soon as I replaced them with the lightweight alloy lugs, the problem disappeared completely.
++++

Dan<br />'66 Malibu Convertible<br />'99 Expedition - "Wife-Mobile"<br />'98 Silverado Crew Cab Duallie (454!)<br /> <a href="http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/malibu6690045/lst?.dir=/cars&.view=t" target="_blank">http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/malibu6690045/lst?.dir=/cars&.view=t</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 03, 9:32 AM Thread Starter
don
Tech Team

I have new adjustable control arms, new poly bushings,new rear end gears and bearings,body rubber mounts, gas tank, exhaust pipes have been welded together,springs and insulators. In short everything back there is new. I have had it up on jack stands and ran it up to 65 and still get the vibration. With and without drums and wheels. I went around the car when it was on jacks spining at 65mph without wheels and drums. I could not feel and vibrations that were unsual.

67 chevelle 427 4sp
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 03, 9:58 PM
Tech Team

With all that said, I'd suspect that the gears themselves are creating the vibration, and the suspension is transmitting it to the frame, etc.
Wierd.
++++

Dan<br />'66 Malibu Convertible<br />'99 Expedition - "Wife-Mobile"<br />'98 Silverado Crew Cab Duallie (454!)<br /> <a href="http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/malibu6690045/lst?.dir=/cars&.view=t" target="_blank">http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/malibu6690045/lst?.dir=/cars&.view=t</a>

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 03, 7:06 AM Thread Starter
don
Tech Team

Dan I might suspect the gears also but they too are new.

67 chevelle 427 4sp
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 10:09 AM
Gold Member
Gene

I'm sorry, did you say the motor mounts and tranny mount were new too? They will cause a vibration such as you describe.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
don
Tech Team

The engine is a 427 with small block stands and motor mounts. I did not think it had anything to do with the vibration because it seems to come from the rear of the car. It does not vibrate with the driveshaft removed.

Don

67 chevelle 427 4sp
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 05, 11:16 PM
Tech Team
Russell

Re: unsolved vibrations

I have the same problem....After inspecting the car again ,trying a new drive shaft, I have found out that the yoke on the rear is not bent. Instead the stops on each side of the pinion yoke( which center the drive shaft in the yoke- outside clip style) are worn and are allowing the u joint to move in the caps. The driveshafts side to side play is about a 1/8 inch. I installed a used pinion yoke that i had here and presto vibration gone. I have spent months messing with this thing. Check yours and rule that out....

Kingdaddycreel
Master ASE Certified Mechanic
A.C.E.S. # 6582

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5355 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.