Intake manifold question (GM) - Chevelle Tech
2003 General Tech Forum from 2003

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 03, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Enrique

Send a message via AIM to Slowpoke70 Send a message via Yahoo to Slowpoke70
i have a GM aluminium intake (SBC) cast #520. Its an EGR intake that has had the EGR deleted by a plate. I have to questions about it.

1. The ports (hole, whatever they are) furthest back are plugged up. I think these holes are for water circulation. I've seen some intakes with this plugged up and some without at the local swapmeets, most of the ones with these hole plugged are GM intakes both BBC and SBC. What i want to know is why they are plugged up, it looks like it is from the factory. Are these water ports not necessary? (want to use this intake on a daily street driven 350(stock bottom end), stock 76cc heads, comp cams 260H and hooker comps).

2. The manifold is painted [email protected] blue, i am going to paint my engine Chevy orange and do not want that ford color on my intake. I am thinking on painting the intake orange for the stealthy look. My question is, what is the safest way to remove the paint. I know bead and sandblasting can make the intake too porous so what can i use to remove the blue paint?

thanks in advance.
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

1970 Malibu
355/TH350/3.36
Isky z25/Sportsman2/300-36/Summit Headers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 03, 8:47 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Enrique,
Unless it is a Fuel Injection manifolds, the very back holes are not supposed to be "open" They really do not go anywhere if you look at ehm closely. They probably have some corrosion around them from being in contact with water, but thats it.
The only manifolds that have the holes open are the ones for fuel injection. The EFI engines circulate some water up to the Throttle Body to help in fuel atomization.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 03, 11:06 AM

Bead blast the manifold,hose it out good with soap & water and paint it Chevy orange.
You might want to can a rattle-can of self etching primer & prime it first. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 03, 7:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Enrique

Send a message via AIM to Slowpoke70 Send a message via Yahoo to Slowpoke70
thanks for confirming what some guy at the swapmeet told me.

now, i ran a search on this site and i got conflicting advise. some say bead blasting will make the manifold too porous, others that it will embed bead in the manifold and then the beads will drop into the engine internals upon start up. and some say to go ahead and bead blast it.

can i use some type of paint stripper or is that a bad idea too?

thanks a lot guys.

1970 Malibu
355/TH350/3.36
Isky z25/Sportsman2/300-36/Summit Headers
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 03, 11:54 PM
pdq67

Don't forget to remove the bottom heat deflector pan if it has one on it!!

Use a good set of vice-grips and carefully work the screw-pins until they come out and reuse them if you want to.

BUT be sure and soap and water her really good to remove any glass beads or steel shot or whatever you blast her with.

I personally would try some paint stripper that has the good old "HAP" Methylene Chloride in it, (if you can find some), and a brass toothbrush on it!! Maybe even some Dupont Oven Cleaner??

Spray her down and watch for any excess aluminum metal corrosion as the paint comes loose after sitting for a while as you use the brass toothbrush..

pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5933 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.