1970 Chevelle LS6 parked in 70's uncovered - Chevelle Tech
2013 General Tech Forum from 2013

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 13, 3:45 AM Thread Starter

1970 Chevelle LS6 parked in 70's uncovered

Okay guys, so my uncle got word of a possible 70 chevelle ss "original owner" for sale. Of course he jumped on top of it and we both went on a long haul to Illinois to see this. Well, despite its age it actually was in great shape. We went through the car and decided its authenticity was legit and brought it back home.

Some background on it....
It is a 1970 chevelle ss 454 ls6 automatic originally bought in missouri.
very well documented, well optioned, with protect-0-plate in car.
owner kept all service records for it, pictures, and parts
The owner was 16 when bought brand new off lot, drove it for a few years blew original motor and had it factory replaced under warranty and then it sat since 1974. The car has 40K miles on it
___Things get a little shaky on the motor and I wanted to see if there was some way to trace things back to what happened if anyone can lend a hand but anyways
The motor was out of the car disassembled and the owner said it was a factory replaced block under warranty.
After checking up on the numbers it comes up as showing a 72 454 (CE) block, it is a 4 bolt main, steel crank, dome top pistons, correct heads.
We're scratching our heads about this. two pistons are scarred badly and the bearings are backwards, heads are undamaged and painted so If it's a factory replaced block why is it out and whats with the damage?

The vin is 136370k1xxxxx

Some of the build sheet shows It has cowl hood, chrome valve covers, low profile intake manifold, holley carb, True dual exhaust with resonators, Turbo 400, 12 bolt rear w/ 4.10's, heavy duty radiator, deep groove pulleys,U14 6500 rpm tach, kickdown switch, F41 suspension, T60 HD battery, V31F bumper guards front and rear, Z15 SS package, UF1 mirror lamp, hood stripe package, D55 console, J50 Power brakes, G80 posi, JL2 power disc brakes, U35 electric clock,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 13, 3:49 AM Thread Starter

Re: 1970 Chevelle LS6 parked in 70's uncovered

I wouldn't leave ya guys without pics

post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 13, 3:58 AM
Senior Tech Team
Andy

Wow, nice score!!! So was it one of those "steel" of a deals, or did the seller know what an LS6 is worth these days?
Looks like a great car either way. Will you try to source a correct block for it now and put it together as close to original as possible?
That's what I'd be doing with it for sure. I think that the correct clock code for it would be a CRV? But I'm more of a rodder than a restorer, so I'm sure one of the nuts&bolts knowledgeable members here will help point you in the right direction.
Or better yet, maybe even know where you can get one from.

New project:Red/Blk Stripes 70 SS-565" FAST+XFI, 819 HP/ 735 TQ on pump-gas. "Red Dead"!

Sold: My 71 SS 454 clone "Back from the Dead"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 13, 4:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACK FROM THE DEAD View Post
Wow, nice score!!! So was it one of those "steel" of a deals, or did the seller know what an LS6 is worth these days?
Looks like a great car either way. Will you try to source a correct block for it now and put it together as close to original as possible?
That's what I'd be doing with it for sure. I think that the correct clock code for it would be a CRV? But I'm more of a rodder than a restorer, so I'm sure one of the nuts&bolts knowledgeable members here will help point you in the right direction.
Or better yet, maybe even know where you can get one from.
It was a steal to say the least.
Since the block is original to the car as far as we know, (i know not #'s wise) but being thats the block that was put in under warranty, we'll stick to that block but we are super confused. I think that the owner might have blown it twice and this is the reconditioned block, The cylinders are all super clean, the only thing odd was the bearings were backwards on the oil passage ways.
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 13, 4:39 AM
Tech Team
Sam

You say the bearings are backwards, but the pics show the whole thing's been torn down, so maybe whoever tore it down had the bearings out and just stuck them back in the caps to keep them in order, but backwards. With two damaged pistons, sounds like the owner blew the replacement motor, tore it down to inspect, stuck some of it back together, and then gave up leaving it how you found it. Anyway, if the price was right, nice score.

'70 El Camino
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 13, 8:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Usually, if the engine was replaced under warranty, there would be paperwork in that too. A CE block is a warranty replacement block, what are the rest of the numbers on the block after the CE. Back then, there was a 5 year, 50,000 mile warranty, so that block As far and it is concerned, would be the correct one. I am sure others will be along to give an opinion.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 13, 9:05 AM
Team Member
Tom

Soooooooooooooooooooooo, did you buy the car or not???????????
If not, WHY?????????

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 13, 9:23 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dan Vasic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
Soooooooooooooooooooooo, did you buy the car or not???????????
If not, WHY?????????
He says..... We went through the car and decided its authenticity was legit and brought it back home

So I assume..... you bought it, Congrats!

Dan

Owner of..... The 1969 SS396 300 Deluxe Post Sedan Registry
1969 300 Deluxe Post Sedan Frost Green
1969 SS396 300 Deluxe Post Sedan Lemans Blue (Sold to "69 Post Sedan")
1972 SS 502 T400 410 posi Mohave Gold
1970 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Gulfstream Blue
1970 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 13, 10:38 AM
Gold Founding Member

Wow, nice find. Congratulations.

Tory
ACES Member #1890
Team Chevelle Gold #288

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Unrestored 15,000 Mile Survivor
1955 Chevrolet Nomad
1964 Malibu SS Unrestored 36,000 Mile Survivor
1964 Malibu SS
1966 Chevelle SS 396 Unrestored 76,000 Mile Survivor
1968 Camaro
1968 Malibu L-79, 1 of 4082 ~ SOLD
1984 Hurst Olds w/ Factory Sunroof, 1 of 99 ~ SOLD
1985 442 White / Grey w/ Factory Sunroof ~ SOLD
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 13, 11:36 AM
Tech Team
Jim

thats a really cool car. you drove the distance and were prepared to bring it home. not asking what you paid but what was the initial asking price if that is ok. also what method did you here of such a great car. you might want to consider making it a 496 that is what most do to a 454 now-a-days. used pump gas and looks the same from the outside too. get that motor together good luck.

Jim
post #11 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 13, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
Usually, if the engine was replaced under warranty, there would be paperwork in that too. A CE block is a warranty replacement block, what are the rest of the numbers on the block after the CE. Back then, there was a 5 year, 50,000 mile warranty, so that block As far and it is concerned, would be the correct one. I am sure others will be along to give an opinion.
I haven't got the rest of the numbers just yet being in was late when I posted this, and we didn't find the paperwork on the replacement. There was lots of documentation so I'll have to go back through it. But say we can't find it is there anywhere to find out what happened during those 4 years? Since the block looks freshen and unpainted Im thinkin maybe he didn't blow the replacement but maybe blew a valve and he was starting the rebuild process on his own

Of course he bought it. It now sits in the garage with the other queens #s matching 69 z28. And #s matching 69 chevelle ss 396. The white chevelle was replanted white for some reason but paint code is Daytona yellow so that in itself proved to us a real car.
post #12 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 13, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 chevelle 496BBC View Post
thats a really cool car. you drove the distance and were prepared to bring it home. not asking what you paid but what was the initial asking price if that is ok. also what method did you here of such a great car. you might want to consider making it a 496 that is what most do to a 454 now-a-days. used pump gas and looks the same from the outside too. get that motor together good luck.

Jim
I'm not the person to speak on behalf of the price paid but I can tell you it was well worth it. We've recieved offers double of what he ended up paying but he's not looking to sell it. He had an ls6 m22 same color and stripes when he was younger but sold during a rough patch and always regretted it since.
As far as hearing about a find its just pure luck. The owner had come out here to Colorado for a car show/swap meet and they ran into each other, exchanged stories and as they went on their seperate ways the owner was not looking to sell. A few years passed and the owners relative worked in Colorado with my uncle and they didn't know each other but he was telling people about a guy who might be selling the car. Anyway they got a hold of each other and the owner decided that he only would sell to my uncle because he wanted it to go to a good home.
post #13 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 13, 1:08 PM
Tech Team
Adam

Great find and great story, I can't get enough of reading postings like this.

Can't wait to follow the story as you uncover more details (don't forget to post them!!!!) and restoration.

Congrats, good stuff!!
post #14 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 13, 1:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill Wente

Great story, shows that there are good ones still out there. It's likely that if the engine had not had issues that car would have eventually been driven into the ground. My first career was as a Chevy dealer line tech starting in 1968. Any car with 5/50 warranty (began with the '67 model year) that entered the service drive with a customer complaint of piston knock on start up or oil consumption (big blocks had plenty of both) got a fitted block or short block because the warranty rep. would authorize it and it was a line tech's bread and butter. Genuine original block cars will always be more desirable, but there is no shame in a good documented car with a CE block IMO. Do a quality rebuild on that CE block and enjoy the car!
post #15 of 75 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 13, 1:45 PM Thread Starter

Yea I love these finds so I was all in when asked if I wanted to go. It was pretty cool to hear the guy talk about it. His dad passed away and he bought the car with the insurance money. Hell he even gave us his first ticket and fake i.d with it. Pretty cool guy, he kept his word to holding on to it before we made it up there.

I also think there is no shame in the block, it happens and it was factory replaced but if anyone has any way to get more info on the car that would be awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1397 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.