All in at 1500 rpm. Is this bad? - Chevelle Tech
2014 General Tech Forum from 2014

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 1:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
tom

All in at 1500 rpm. Is this bad?

I wanted to see what my initial would be if I set my total timing to 36 at 3000 rpm. I noticed right away that 36 was reached at 1500 rpm and stayed there all the way up to 3000 rpm. By the way, my initial was at 19. I have an original 283 with HEI distributor and the vacuum advance was disconnected while the carb port was plugged.
Do you think I have a problem? I don't have any major engine issues, just a slight stumble from a dead stop.
thanks,
tm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 2:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Re: All in at 1500 rpm. Is this bad?

Sounds to me like you need to put stiffer mechanical advance springs on the distributor. That said, if the engine isn't pinging then perhaps you don't have an issue. Still and all, that's a lot of timing at 1500 RPM on a heavy car like a Chevelle. What's your driveline? Eng/trans/differential?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 2:26 PM
Gold Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm66 View Post
I wanted to see what my initial would be if I set my total timing to 36 at 3000 rpm. I noticed right away that 36 was reached at 1500 rpm and stayed there all the way up to 3000 rpm. By the way, my initial was at 19. I have an original 283 with HEI distributor and the vacuum advance was disconnected while the carb port was plugged.
Do you think I have a problem? I don't have any major engine issues, just a slight stumble from a dead stop.
thanks,
tm
Did you go beyond 3000 rpm? Many distributors don't reach full centrifugal advance until 4000 rpm or beyond.

Was this done on the engine or in a distributor machine? A distributor machine reads distributor RPM which is half of engine RPM.

Full centrifugal advance at 1500 engine RPM is probably WAY too early. Depending on vehicle weight and gearing, full centrifugal at 2500--3000 could be more reasonable AND allow for more vacuum advance which might improve part-throttle response and economy.

Excess initial advance is often used to "crutch" a deficient idle/transfer fuel curve. Less initial timing and perhaps more idle fuel could yield improvements in throttle response off-idle.

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 4:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
tom

I don't know the driveline specs. The car is an all original 283 Malibu with a powerglide tranny.

I did not go much over 3000 rpm and the timing was checked on the engine, not a distributor machine. The distributor is the $99 unit from Summit Racing and no alterations done to it.
tm
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 14, 5:13 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

If the timing is truly all in @1500 rpm and the engine doesn't ping, run on, or the starter is OK cranking...go for it.
I ran my 540 all over town for years with the timing locked out @38 degrees. Started, idled, and ran great. Ran cooler too.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 14, 11:34 AM
Tech Team
Geoff

Garage

Every car is unique, factory specs are a compromise. My 67 327 likes the timing all in w/38* total at 1800rpm...

Alum. heads, 700r4 3:73 posi
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 14, 1:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
tom

Thanks for the responses.

Should I advance all in from 36 to 38*?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 14, 8:18 AM
Gold Member
Gene

The total timing truly does depend on the particular engine. But with old skool heads and the like, it is LIKELY ( but not certain) it will like more advance. Eg my bbc prefers 35. My buddy's LT-1 ( old skool) prefers 40.

The other issue is how accurate the reference on the balancer is.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 14, 1:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Checked on a dist machine is that dist rpm or engine rpm ???...........most machines read dist rpm pbly 3000 engine rpm even thats fast for a stock dist
and yes run it to at least 5k if a stock dist and advance mech not sticking etc it pbly will advance more with vacuum advance hooked up and 19* initial it should ping if its all stock at cruise tip in .......... I have never seen a stock GM dist that give 19* in initial unless of course its been modified even that is alot
I would recheck your numbers ................OOOPS I see Shurkey posted same thing

66 CDN Malibu SS A51,L34,M20 Aztec Bronze

Tremec by Liberty[/FONT]

Foxwell 475 BBC 688hp /610 tq
9.5 cr pump gas Brodix heads by Foxwell Straub hyd Roller
Crusin / Track video
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2029 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.