Forget about driveline angles... - Page 5 - Chevelle Tech
2014 General Tech Forum from 2014

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 73 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 15, 2:31 AM
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Garage
Re: Forget about driveline angles...

Just seeing this thread for the first time. Neat stuff, thanks for posting!

Ron
'87 Camaro IROC-Z L98
'69 300 Deluxe SS396

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Founding member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 15, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

I've been making progress on my 67 Cougar project. IN preparation for a double CV shaft I swapped out the pinion yoke today.

Andrew

Instagram @projectgattago

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
post #63 of 73 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 15, 12:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Herb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
Herb,

Honestly, I would offer up the Denny's shaft for sale, surely someone can use it. You probably can get a single CV shaft like I and Ken (his is pictured in this thread) use.

Andrew
Hey Andrew,

Just a quick update... I ordered a single CV shaft on 1 June. I was told it would be 3-4 weeks and this being the end of the 4th week, hopefully it will ship soon! I ended up with a single CV shaft with the CV on the diff end. The trans end op angle was 1.8* and the other was 6.6* at ride height.

Once I get it installed, I'll report back.

Herb

1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
1963 C10 454/4L80

post #64 of 73 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 15, 1:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

I got my gorgeous driveshaft from The DriveShaft Shop. Earlier you saw that I had a CV slip yoke for the front and I also installed a CV yoke on the 9" rear.

Here is the front:

And the rear...

Overall the shaft is 55.5" long from CV flange to CV flange.

Here is the front installed...

and the rear...

One side benefit of running a CF driveshaft is that in the case of a failure, the shaft will shred, which is a good thing since it won't damage the underside of the car.

Got it bolted in and went for my first drive...

I am very happy.

Andrew

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."

Last edited by andrewb70; Jun 27th, 15 at 1:51 AM.
post #65 of 73 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 15, 11:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
Herb

Garage

Very cool!

Herb

1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
1963 C10 454/4L80
post #66 of 73 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 15, 11:00 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

is that a fuel line or brake line clamped to the tunnel? Maybe not a good place for either?

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #67 of 73 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 15, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
is that a fuel line or brake line clamped to the tunnel? Maybe not a good place for either?
The OEM brake lines for the rear runs on the other side of the tunnel. What you see there is a fuel line that I installed. What do you think will happen? As I said, when CF driveshafts fail, they don't break anything else around it.

Andrew

post #68 of 73 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 15, 3:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

Yestarday I got the car aligned and decided to take a little road trip to see my buddy BA and show him the car. In total, I put about 400 miles on the car. In short, this is by far the smoothest driveline that I have ever experienced. At 70 miles per hour the driveshaft is turning right at 4000RPM, and when you put your hand on the shifter, there is barely anything to feel. It is super smooth.

Andrew

post #69 of 73 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 15, 10:08 PM
Tech Team
Chris

So do you think that this is a way to run a t56 in a ls powered chevelle without cutting the tunnel? will it be possible to get it within the 9 degree operating range without cutting and using a double cv shaft? i have all UMI suspension to put on the car and lowers it 2" with the springs.
post #70 of 73 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 15, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

Absolutely not. Without cutting the tunnel for a T56 the front of the engine will point to the sky! This setup is there to solve a very specific problem and improper engine and transmission placement is not it. I used this on my cougar not because of extreme operating angles but because I knew that with 4.33 gears the driveshaft speed would be really high on the highway. Also I wanted if smooth at all times even when the pinion was rising under power. Leaf spring cars have a log of pinion rise under power.

Andrew

post #71 of 73 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 15, 11:58 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Yes i understand you on the leaf spring cars,ive had 1st gen camaros in the past and have a 68 twin turbo one going together now and i was looking for a way not to cut the chevelles tunnel but struck out again no problem i can always put a 4l80 in it and go when the time comes unless i just absolutely have to have a 6 speed lol,thanks for all the info that is a really neat piece
post #72 of 73 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 15, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

My Cougar, which has the double CV carbon shaft is amazing on the highway. It has all sorts of harness from the ultra stiff leaf springs, but the driveline is super smooth. It has a 4.33 rear gear so at 75 mph the driveshaft speed is about 4000 rpm. Even at that speed there is barely anything that can be felt though the shifter, which is mounted directly to the transmission (T56).

Andrew

post #73 of 73 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 15, 1:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

Ran a [email protected] on this pass. Ultimately ran a 12.98 followed by a 12.96, both at 105 mph.

The funniest part about going to the track was talking to the tech guy. He was very nice, looked the car over, told me I should get a real harness, etc...Then he asked me if I had a driveshaft safety loop, which I told him I didn't, to which he said that it's always a good idea just in case the u-joints let go, to which I said, "I don't have any u-joints." The look he gave me was priceless and then he said, "Now I have to take a look!" He got on the ground, then came up and gave me a puzzle look. I explained that those are CV joints and at my power level the odds of them failing are negligible, and even if they did, the carbon fiber driveshaft would literally turn into a fancy mop, without causing damage to the underside of the car or worrying about the car pole-vaulting. In terms of safety, it is much safer than any sort of metal driveshaft. The tech guy learned something new last night.

Andrew

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1577 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.