Forget about driveline angles... - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
2014 General Tech Forum from 2014

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 73 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 15, 4:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: Forget about driveline angles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
NASCAR has no use for them since they position the engine so that driveline angles are minimal, in other words, they don't need them. I bet it is also against the rules.

I've found that most drag racers don't worry about vibrations because they make a pass and that, that. The short duration of whatever vibration they might have is tolerable.

What's not tolerable is driving for 500 miles at 75 MPH and feeling the vibration for 8 hours.

Andrew
That is kind of my point about it being against the rules.

If the rules state in NASCAR what all angles are. Why would they need that anyway.

Even though NASCAR now has black boxes and has engine mapping and EFI, that can not be messed with once the race starts. Meaning its entirely in the drivers hands and what he feels in the car and relates that back to the crew chief for changes on pit stops.

True on drag racers.

Would this explain why you dont see vettes much on a drag strip?

I have a set of slapper bars on my 99 silverado in which Im thinking Im getting some kind of vibration due to the slapper bars and pinion angle working against each other. Its a leaf spring set up. Drives fine under 75. Once you get up over that, you get a vibration. Im wondering if the pinion is wanting to rotate more up and snubbers are getting jammed up into the leaf at that high of a speed. The rear gear is a 4.56 and has a T56 in front of that. Crusie rpms are about 1500 to 1800 at about 70 rpms. Im wondering if Im going to have to lengthen the distance between the snubbers. Already done that one.

That is correct. That is not tolerable with that kind of vibration for that amount of time.

Another way to look at what your doing there is this. You speak of 21st century technology. Why are you messing with a older bodied car? I can tell you why. They have alot more balls than newer ones!

67 chevelle malibu / SS/ custom

Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust, if I ever get there.

Cant decide on prostreet or cruiser with a 4 speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 73 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 15, 9:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
That is kind of my point about it being against the rules.

If the rules state in NASCAR what all angles are. Why would they need that anyway.

Even though NASCAR now has black boxes and has engine mapping and EFI, that can not be messed with once the race starts. Meaning its entirely in the drivers hands and what he feels in the car and relates that back to the crew chief for changes on pit stops.

True on drag racers.

Would this explain why you dont see vettes much on a drag strip?

I have a set of slapper bars on my 99 silverado in which Im thinking Im getting some kind of vibration due to the slapper bars and pinion angle working against each other. Its a leaf spring set up. Drives fine under 75. Once you get up over that, you get a vibration. Im wondering if the pinion is wanting to rotate more up and snubbers are getting jammed up into the leaf at that high of a speed. The rear gear is a 4.56 and has a T56 in front of that. Crusie rpms are about 1500 to 1800 at about 70 rpms. Im wondering if Im going to have to lengthen the distance between the snubbers. Already done that one.

That is correct. That is not tolerable with that kind of vibration for that amount of time.

Another way to look at what your doing there is this. You speak of 21st century technology. Why are you messing with a older bodied car? I can tell you why. They have alot more balls than newer ones!
With regard to your Silverado, how long is the driveshaft, what's the material? With 4.56 gears you might be getting close to the critical speed.

Andrew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram @projectgattago

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
post #33 of 73 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 15, 10:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Dont recall right off hand.

I would have to measure.

The mechanic who rebuilt the trans thinks this might be due to incorrect u joints. That has been a pain.

Its a Dynatech piece. Made of aluminum.

The driveshaft is suppose to be rated for speeds up to 150 mph I think or somewhere around there.

post #34 of 73 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 15, 1:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

Quote:
Dont recall right off hand.

I would have to measure.

The mechanic who rebuilt the trans thinks this might be due to incorrect u joints. That has been a pain.

Its a Dynatech piece. Made of aluminum.

The driveshaft is suppose to be rated for speeds up to 150 mph I think or somewhere around there.
Wish I could help, but not a lot of detail to go on.

Andrew

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
post #35 of 73 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 15, 11:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Wish I could help, but not a lot of detail to go on.

Andrew
I answered your questions. You dont state what more detail you want. Thats ok, it, may just be the improper u joint. It seems Dynatech and the agreement they have Spicer, as this the brand they use when you receive the driveshaft, just might be the issue. Spicer does not release there part numbers to other sources. You have to go to a Spicer dealer. However, you have to a part number, the Spicer dealer here does not measure them. I figured heck why can someone just measure the old Spicer joint and go with what your local parts store can get, but after watching and listening to the transmission rebuilder he might be right on his theory that the new u joints in the driveshaft are the issue. I have not looked at the u joints that are in the driveshaft now, just picked up the driveshaft and installed it. Did not notice anything wrong or off on the install. I guess this will be correct or eliminated over the course of trial and error and examining all the componets involved.

post #36 of 73 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 15, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

Quote:
I answered your questions. You dont state what more detail you want. Thats ok, it, may just be the improper u joint. It seems Dynatech and the agreement they have Spicer, as this the brand they use when you receive the driveshaft, just might be the issue. Spicer does not release there part numbers to other sources. You have to go to a Spicer dealer. However, you have to a part number, the Spicer dealer here does not measure them. I figured heck why can someone just measure the old Spicer joint and go with what your local parts store can get, but after watching and listening to the transmission rebuilder he might be right on his theory that the new u joints in the driveshaft are the issue. I have not looked at the u joints that are in the driveshaft now, just picked up the driveshaft and installed it. Did not notice anything wrong or off on the install. I guess this will be correct or eliminated over the course of trial and error and examining all the componets involved.
I asked for the length of the driveshaft...

I don't see how a u-joint can be "wrong" and still be installed. U-joints are either the right one for the application or they aren't.

Here is a complete Spices (Dana) u-joint guide:

http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/dek350.aspx

Andrew

post #37 of 73 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 15, 1:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
I asked for the length of the driveshaft...

I don't see how a u-joint can be "wrong" and still be installed. U-joints are either the right one for the application or they aren't.

Here is a complete Spices (Dana) u-joint guide:

http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/dek350.aspx

Andrew
I know that Andrew. I would have to measure the length for you, I dont remember right off hand.

I didnt really follow what he had to say, but he made it sound like clips where left or something and it does seat right or something. I have to see what he is talking about with my eyes first to be able to describe it better.

post #38 of 73 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 15, 8:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

Here is an aluminum version that Ken just installed in his LSA powered 66:

His front operating angle was 8 degrees, full Ridetech suspension system.

His full build can be read here:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...onversion.html

Andrew

post #39 of 73 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 15, 5:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Gerry

Quote:
Here is an aluminum version that Ken just installed in his LSA powered 66:

His front operating angle was 8 degrees, full Ridetech suspension system.

His full build can be read here:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...onversion.html

Andrew
Great information!
How much horsepower do you think one of these combos can safely take? My current drive shaft is 58-1/2" long using 1330 U joints.

67 SS BBC
4.11's
post #40 of 73 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 15, 5:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley67 View Post
Great information!
How much horsepower do you think one of these combos can safely take? My current drive shaft is 58-1/2" long using 1330 U joints.
The CV joint is not the limiting factor for power handling. The shaft that went into Ken's Chevelle has a 1350 joint on the rear, which I suspect will break before any other part.

Andrew

post #41 of 73 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 15, 11:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kirk

One quick question would this help lower the transmission and make the tunnel cutting a little less drastic? I'm going with an LS2 and T56 magnum in my 70. If this helped with vibration and tunnel surgery I would be willing to part with the 1 grand are asking price.
Is the below link all inclusive?
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/domest...-or-muscle-car
post #42 of 73 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 15, 11:14 PM
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy111 View Post
One quick question would this help lower the transmission and make the tunnel cutting a little less drastic? I'm going with an LS2 and T56 magnum in my 70. If this helped with vibration and tunnel surgery I would be willing to part with the 1 grand are asking price.
Is the below link all inclusive?
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/domest...-or-muscle-car
That is the right solution if you can't or are not willing to get the tunnel wide and high enough for correct angle. I ended up with -1degree of angle on my driveshaft and will be able to use the regular setup now. That solution was more time and work but cheaper than this high dollar CV shaft plus raising the tranny gives me much better ground clearance. The driveshaft shop piece is a great piece though and I know will work with as much as 6 degrees of angle.
post #43 of 73 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 15, 1:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kirk

The only thing that worries me was the fact that some were saying the driveshaft would hit the middle floor support. I'm not sure how to solve that and if cutting the brace would weaken the floor structure substantially. Then again I'm sure some extra support could be welding in. I do like the fact it is a newer designed shaft since I'm attempting to update the drivetrain. The price is high and is the only factor to try and use an older style driveline.
post #44 of 73 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 15, 2:30 PM
Bill

Yes, you have to cut and rebuild that brace. We made that our driveshaft loop so it worked fine.
post #45 of 73 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 15, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy111 View Post
The only thing that worries me was the fact that some were saying the driveshaft would hit the middle floor support. I'm not sure how to solve that and if cutting the brace would weaken the floor structure substantially. Then again I'm sure some extra support could be welding in. I do like the fact it is a newer designed shaft since I'm attempting to update the drivetrain. The price is high and is the only factor to try and use an older style driveline.
The CV is about 4.25" in diameter, which is not much bigger than a 1350 u-joint yoke. The possible interference with the brace largely depends on what transmission you are using.

Is your u-joint positioned right at the brace?

Andrew

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1571 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.