sbc no oil from left bank - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
2014 General Tech Forum from 2014

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 90 (permalink) Old May 26th, 14, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Re: sbc no oil from left bank

The motor is on the engine stand. I couldn't get any flow out of the left bank. Through the rear left gallery threaded hole I could feel the back of the cam bearing with a bent wire but there must be a blockage at the groove behind the cam bearing. The groove is receiving oil because the right bank flows a lot.

So I'm going to disassemble the motor to inspect it. Hopefully the journals and bearings are OK. I'm guessing that none of the oil passages ever got cleaned. And to top it off, the left freeze plug in the rear was leaking coolant enough to form a drip. I took a picture of that too.

I'll bring the block to another shop for cleaning and I will be talking to the shop that did the bad work. I don't want that shop to touch the motor again because I don't trust them. If anybody has any recommendations for good machine shops in the Southeastern VA area please reply. I'll update after the tear-down. Thanks everybody for your input, even though the result wasn't what I wanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 90 (permalink) Old May 28th, 14, 10:04 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Steve,

Even with all of that junk, I would think you would have some oil ?? I cant wait to see what you find when you pull the cam bearing out. Make sure to post some pics ! Don't know anyone down that way to recommend

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #33 of 90 (permalink) Old May 28th, 14, 10:18 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

By the way, the ONLY way I would do this at this point is to take every single plug out of the block and remove the cam bearings. Get it spotless clean. Personally what I would recommend is that you have the block hot tanked or jet washed etc. Then take it home before any plugs or cam bearings are installed. Scrub it yourself with hot soap and water and make sure it is clean. Then take it back and have the cam bearings installed. You should be able to do the rest of the plugs yourself. I know this sounds like a lot of work but unless you are going to pay the machine shop an extra hours labor for a final clean up, you will not get a perfect job.

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Team Chevelle #100

post #34 of 90 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 12:26 AM
Team Member

Just throwing this out there,i am wondering if something is up with the priming tool when it comes to the sealing oil passage for the side of the block thats not getting oil?

I ask that because i have seen a few times over the past 42+yrs wrenching these motors
where a dist body had excess material/flashing on it partially to almost fully blocking oil to lifters on 1 side of the motor depending on postion of dist body in the block.

So keep that in mind if you dont find the cause .

Another thing could be if you accidnetially used grey type moly assembly lube/paste on the sides of the lifters either partially or fully clogging the oil holes in the lifters stopping or greatly restricting oil from entering the lifters when only motor oil is supposed to be used on the sides of lifters .

Motor oil is rec on sides of the lifters only to avoid clogging the oil holes that can cause issues when priming oil system by hand with a drill prior to firing motor post rbld.

Good luck.

Scott

SCOTT
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2002 MAXIMA (DAILY DRIVER/1 owner,GOT 3/2013 w-44k miles)
2009 HD ELECTRAGLIDE CLASSIC ULTRA (GOT 11/14 W-9,700 miles)
post #35 of 90 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 7:51 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

I talked to another shop and they also said that they had seen blocks where the distributor bore was too big to seal with the distributor. They said that's why some performance distributors have O-ring seals in that area. This motor wouldn't flow with either my priming tool or a 350 distributor installed. I still have the original 400 distributor that ran with the motor 100K+. I'll measure that one and compare.
post #36 of 90 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 8:30 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SSteve View Post
. Through the rear left gallery threaded hole I could feel the back of the cam bearing with a bent wire
I am not sure you could do that unless you had a very thin and flexible piece of wire. I just tried it with a piece of mechanics wire and its not happening.

I have seen plenty of blocks with pretty loose fitting distributors but they never have had this problem. Maybe a little less oil pressure but certainly not a complete lack of oil on one side. Besides, the distributor blocks off the right (Drivers) side passage, not the left so it really is not an issue with your problem

I was just looking at a 400 block here at the shop and cannot see anything that I can think of to cause the problem other than something blocking off the groove around the cam bearing, which I have never seen happen, or the passage from the cam bearing to the lifter gallery Something just is not making sense here.

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

Team Chevelle #100
post #37 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 14, 9:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

OK- Here's an update. I tore the block down to bare and brought it to another shop who basically slammed the 1st shop. Said that the block was filthy inside. Supposedly cleaned & brushed out the block, installed new cam bearings, and lightly re-honed. New shop said I was now good to go...(you can guess where this is heading). So I reassembled the short block and put 3 quarts of oil in and primed on the engine stand. No oil on the left bank. The right bank is flowing like a river and the cam itself is getting flooded, but nothing coming out of the left bank port leading to the lifter gallery. The left side lifters don't fill with any oil. I swapped #7 & #8 lifters and still nothing. I made a new priming tool out of the original 400 distributor and still nothing. I'm going to call shop #2 Monday. But I can't for the life of me figure this one out. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong. Maybe the oil pump in NG. I'm at a loss.
post #38 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 14, 9:58 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Steve,
I wish I was closer so I could take a look at this thing. There almost has to be something blocking the passage that goes to the left side oil passage, but what ??? If it was the oil pump you would not be getting any oil so it cannot be that. Do you have the timing cover on already ??

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

Team Chevelle #100
post #39 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 14, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Bill, Yes the timing cover & oil pan are installed. I should be seeing a good amount of flow in the left side, just like the right side, right? Nothing has changed with this oil problem since day 1. I find it hard to believe that 2 shops would leave a clogged oil passage, especially when I told shop #2 the whole reason why I was bringing it to him.
post #40 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 14, 10:41 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Steve,
I will probably be at the shop sometime on Sunday. I have several 400 blocks and I will see if I can figure out a way for you to check it on the stand like you have it now.

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

Team Chevelle #100
post #41 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 14, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Steve,
I wish I was closer so I could take a look at this thing. There almost has to be something blocking the passage that goes to the left side oil passage, but what ??? If it was the oil pump you would not be getting any oil so it cannot be that. Do you have the timing cover on already ??
Bill- My son just sent you a video of priming showing the difference between the R&L sides.
post #42 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 14, 2:02 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SSteve View Post
Bill- My son just sent you a video of priming showing the difference between the R&L sides.
Steve,
Where did he send it to ?????? I did not get anything. Tell him to send it to Engineshop "at" mindspring "dot" com

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

Team Chevelle #100
post #43 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 14, 2:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Steve,
Where did he send it to ?????? I did not get anything. Tell him to send it to Engineshop "at" mindspring "dot" com
Bill, That's where he sent it. Check your spam folder- that's where it was when he sent it to me
post #44 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 14, 5:41 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Steve
Not in my spam folder either

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

Team Chevelle #100
post #45 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 14, 5:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Resent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 491 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.