Gen 6 HR cam in a Mark IV??? - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
2014 General Tech Forum from 2014

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 55 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 14, 10:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Re: Gen 6 HR cam in a Mark IV???

If it spins free I would be happy but there is no good reason not to give it a little clearance if it makes you feel warm & fuzzy
I think you will find if you put an indicator on it & lightly pry the cam back & forth you will find you actually have clearance if it rotates freely

Mike (Wolfplace)
VISIT US AT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
++Complete Machine shop & Dyno services++
================================
Welcome to the internet,,, "Experts" made daily
===
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
----John Wayne----

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 55 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 14, 11:46 AM
Tech Team
Dale

John, it sounds like you're getting it to work but just a thought-
Did you verify that the bearing is seated against the gear? If I remember
correctly, you can check this easily with feeler gauges.

66 Chevelle
1/8 mile

1/4 mile

Building more of a race car than driver but driving it more than I race. "simple old school shake, rattle & roll".
post #48 of 55 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 14, 3:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
John, it sounds like you're getting it to work but just a thought-
Did you verify that the bearing is seated against the gear? If I remember
correctly, you can check this easily with feeler gauges.
I'm no expert on how to install a torrington bearing! This came installed and it appears to be seated all the way- how do I know for sure?

1970 Monte in the 11s
1968 Camaro in the 10s
Street Cars are More Fun!

post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 14, 4:09 PM
Tech Team
Dale

I wouldn't get too excited over it since everything is very close as is, but if you want to check, see if you can stick a .002 feeler between the mating surfaces where the bearing is pressed up against the gear.

66 Chevelle
1/8 mile

1/4 mile

Building more of a race car than driver but driving it more than I race. "simple old school shake, rattle & roll".
post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 14, 5:24 PM
Tech Team
Dwight

I did not have time to read this whole post but I had the same problem this last winter. I used a valve spring shim between the cam gear and cam. I used my die grinder to grind three reliefs for the bolts then sandwiched it between the gear and the cam. I think the one I used was .015 and I went from having to use a wrench on the bolts to turn the cam to spinning it easily.
post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 14, 9:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfplace View Post
If it spins free I would be happy but there is no good reason not to give it a little clearance if it makes you feel warm & fuzzy
I think you will find if you put an indicator on it & lightly pry the cam back & forth you will find you actually have clearance if it rotates freely
Thanks- I went for the warm and fuzzy! There really was zero end play per my dial indicator. My machinest at work gave me exactly .002 on the indicator... time to get this thing running!

1970 Monte in the 11s
1968 Camaro in the 10s
Street Cars are More Fun!
post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 14, 11:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mac

Glad ya got it figured out

1970 Chevelle SS full weight street car (4030lbs)
498-11.5:1 (Mac built) 91 pump gas+
Strauby sissy roller -
brodix-rr rec 294
weiand stelth- Pro Systems 1000
turbo 400 10" 3200 Coan 4.10 12 bolt
Best Passes on28-10.5-15 slicks and 110
1.56-6.97-99.83
1.6194-11.1666-120.94

And a drag [email protected]

If it wasn't dangerous, it wouldn't be fun!

post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 14, 10:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 14, 3:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

This is a great thread.

I had the same problem on my MK. IV block with Gen 6 nose H.R. and rollmaster cs2095 timing set. When I bolted the cam gear onto the camshaft and tightened the bolt, the cam gear pulled snug against the thrust plate. Solution was to install shim between cam and cam gear. I'm still playing with thickness of the shim to get the endplay within reason. And yes, the crank gear is a little bugger. Just when you think its on all the way......it wasn't. Needed bigger hammer on that too!

Jeff

64 El Camino Pro street, 496, T-400, 9" 3.73

Video:
post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 16, 7:01 PM
Brian

I am having the same problem with the same setup. I found that the Torrington bearing inner race is hitting the thrust plate and plate ID needs to be opened up just past the 3 retainer tabs that hold the bearing together like the OP did to his. Another pain in the butt as I have 6 of these to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1348 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.